Hacking A question about region-changing...

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi... my question it's dead-simple...

Why does changing the region on a New 3DS/New 3DS XL console prohibits the access to the eShop?
Because a taget is set in nand for the original fw it was on because it accessed the eshop on that fw to prevent this is to region change before accessing the eshop then it will work on the region changed fw

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to change the region of any of my 3DS'. I'm asking because, my New 3DS (the regular model) is listed as a Malaysia/Singapore version, but it does have US firmware.
Does Malaysia and Singapore used the US version of the New 3DS?
If it is 8n English why bother?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Godmode9 can tell u
Really? I didn't know about Godmode9 giving that info...
Gonna check it out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, now I'm asking more questions.
Godmode9 says that the original firmware is 10.x.x-xU but 3DSident says that it's 9.x.x-xJ.
This is riddled weird because it doesn't happen it any of my other 3DS'.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason for being locked out from out-of-regions eShop access is due to registering that 3DS system's DeviceID(?) (think of this like our travel passport) on Nintendo's server. That first eShop visit assigns the 3DS to that region.

If you go under,
  • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → More... System Info
, Original firmware is what that version and region it came from the factory.

This information is actually from the,
  • [2:] SYSNAND TWLN/sys/log/inspect.log
, so it's technically possible to falsify that record. The DeviceID is not falsifiable as far as I can tell.

If your originally USA n3DS was region changed to JPN and has access to JPN eShop, that means the original owner hacked it with ntrboot and made sure that its first eShop visit would be set to JPN.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: E1ite007

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The reason for being locked out from out-of-regions eShop access is due to registering that 3DS system's DeviceID(?) (think of this like our travel passport) on Nintendo's server. That first eShop visit assigns the 3DS to that region.

If you go under,
  • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → More... System Info
, Original firmware is what that version and region it came from the factory.

This information is actually from the,
  • [2:] SYSNAND TWLN/sys/log/inspect.log
, so it's technically possible to falsify that record. The DeviceID is not falsifiable as far as I can tell.

If your originally USA n3DS was region changed to JPN and has access to JPN eShop, that means the original owner hacked it with ntrboot and made sure that its first eShop visit would be set to JPN.
Yeah, but I've searched a little bit, and the device model (KTR-S-WNDG) is listed to be the asian packaging but it handles US firmware.
Actually, although some eBay listings and even freaking Best Buy said that it's the American model, the model is listed on the box to be the Malaysia/Singapore version of the console, and it looks that it's the only release and it never release officially on America or Europe, and even on Japan.
It's interesting, 'cause Godmode9 tells that although the region of the console is american, the selling territory for it is determined as Middle East.

Now my question is the next...

Who is wrong? Godmode9 or 3DSident? Because all of the reviews that address the packaging thing, said that it works with US software out of the box, but the download codes the console comes with, doesn't work on their console, maybe because those're from another region.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, so you're going to absolutely love this.

Malaysia, Singapore, and certain countries in the Middle East... do fall under the USA region for the 3DS.

The 3DS firmware for that n3DS is USA.
The actual countries where the n3DS was sold in (or to be sold in) was Malaysia/Singapore.
Malaysia, Singapore, and other south Asian countries get lumped together as part as the Middle East market territory.

Super confusing, right?

What might have happened is your n3DS was part of excess inventories that never made their way to Malaysia and Singapore. These were exported in bulk to another country under the USA region umbrella.

This happens a lot for N3DSXL special editions like these (read the reviews):

The download codes probably only work in the intended countries that 3DS was supposed to be sold in. For example, the code is only good in Singapore or Malaysia, but the user's country in System Settings isn't one of those.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh man, so you're going to absolutely love this.

Malaysia, Singapore, and certain countries in the Middle East... do fall under the USA region for the 3DS.

The 3DS firmware for that n3DS is USA.
The actual countries where the n3DS was sold in (or to be sold in) was Malaysia/Singapore.
Malaysia, Singapore, and other south Asian countries get lumped together as part as the Middle East market territory.

Super confusing, right?

What might have happened is your n3DS was part of excess inventories that never made their way to Malaysia and Singapore. These were exported in bulk to another country under the USA region umbrella.

This happens a lot for N3DSXL special editions like these (read the reviews):

The download codes probably only work in the intended countries that 3DS was supposed to be sold in. For example, the code is only good in Singapore or Malaysia, but the user's country in System Settings isn't one of those.
Well, that was unexpected.
I've never thought that Middle East used US firmware, and for a time I actually thought it used JP or even KN firmware and my console's region was changed by the previous owner.
It's also interesting, 'cause for what I've found, the model of my console wasn't super common on the US, and it never actually launch en Europe, but I thought that it launched in Japan.
For a time, it was the last version of the New 3DS that you could find on stores here in Mexico.

Well... that's actually fascinating. Thanks for the explanation Turd.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.