Homebrew Suggestion A Switch Homebrew Social Experiment

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all remember 3ds.guide. I'm sure many of the people reading this post even used it to hack their 3DSs. It is easily the most comprehensive, accessible, and, importantly, inexpensive method of hacking a console I have seen to date.

I'm sure everyone has also noticed just how hard Nintendo has been fighting back this generation; homebrew is usually a pretty cat/mouse game, but it would seem that the widespread ability of hacking has kind of forced their hand in this regard.

I kind of have an idea as to how to (at least attempt to) negate this... Whenever switch.guide (or equivalent) comes out, it should be put on a private, referral-based website that's put behind a verification page (e.g. user has a referral code attached to their username that acts as a temporary password, then once that screen has been cleared a user can go on to make their "guide" account with their own referral code to give to anyone that asks them, so on and so forth).

This would still allow the guide to circulate freely, but would still keep it under the radar (well, for a period of time, at least) from Nintendo, as well as preventing it from becoming TOO widespread.

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
D

Deleted User

We all remember 3ds.guide. I'm sure many of the people reading this post even used it to hack their 3DSs. It is easily the most comprehensive, accessible, and, importantly, inexpensive method of hacking a console I have seen to date.

I'm sure everyone has also noticed just how hard Nintendo has been fighting back this generation; homebrew is usually a pretty cat/mouse game, but it would seem that the widespread ability of hacking has kind of forced their hand in this regard.

I kind of have an idea as to how to (at least attempt to) negate this... Whenever switch.guide (or equivalent) comes out, it should be put on a private, referral-based website that's put behind a paywall (e.g. user has a referral code attached to their username that acts as a temporary password, then once that screen has been cleared a user can go on to make their "guide" account with their own referral code to give to anyone that asks them, so on and so forth).

This would still allow the guide to circulate freely, but would still keep it under the radar (well, for a period of time, at least) from Nintendo, as well as preventing it from becoming TOO widespread.
That really won't do much except make it a waste of time and cause a majority of users to then look for other guides as they wont want to go through the hassle to just access the one site. As there will be a plethora of other videos or even text guides on various other forums.

Besides even if the whole point was to try and hide the process from nintendo its not like they cant see it. Anyone from nintendo can just as easily do that small verification to get in or just download the source code from the site and view the site offline and bypass the other BS altogether.

Its an interesting idea on paper but it wont work well in execution. 99% of users are barely compentant enough to access google. let alone access a site via referral code

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That really won't do much except make it a waste of time and cause a majority of users to then look for other guides as they wont want to go through the hassle to just access the one site. As there will be a plethora of other videos or even text guides on various other forums.

Besides even if the whole point was to try and hide the process from nintendo its not like they cant see it. Anyone from nintendo can just as easily do that small verification to get in or just download the source code from the site and view the site offline and bypass the other BS altogether.

Its an interesting idea on paper but it wont work well in execution. 99% of users are barely compentant enough to access google. let alone access a site via referral code
The idea of the verification process is that nobody gets in without somebody's permission that's already connected

D

Deleted User

The idea of the verification process is that nobody gets in without somebody's permission that's already connected
Unless you can't use whatever exploit comes out without that one specific site that wont work. Someone will just make another guide on another forum or a youtube video so that more end users can get the information easier.

Reactions: josamilu

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I kind of have an idea as to how to (at least attempt to) negate this... Whenever switch.guide (or equivalent) comes out, it should be put on a private, referral-based website that's put behind a paywall (e.g. user has a referral code attached to their username that acts as a temporary password, then once that screen has been cleared a user can go on to make their "guide" account with their own referral code to give to anyone that asks them, so on and so forth).

Fuck that shit

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's no different than private communities. You know how we feel about those. And I'm not sure what information we'd be hiding from ninty anyway. Anything in that guide will already be known to nintendo. Remember, the exploits we have were recreated after being announced at public conferences.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Imagine everyone who are following outdated guides on youtube, because they're too lazy to follow that written guide. Plenty of people have screwed up because of that.
Now imagine that invite based guide instead... youtube guides will pop up (probably less frequently even, being even more outdated). MORE people will watch those videos instead of going through the trouble of getting verified.

Nah, I don't think it would work well at all honestly.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine everyone who are following outdated guides on youtube, because they're too lazy to follow that written guide. Plenty of people have screwed up because of that.
Now imagine that invite based guide instead... youtube guides will pop up (probably less frequently even, being even more outdated). MORE people will watch those videos instead of going through the trouble of getting verified.

Nah, I don't think it would work well at all honestly.
That's fair, I guess

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If we find a way to block everyone else from making guides/YouTube videos on how to hack the Switch, if the hackers keep everything private and never release anything on GitHub and similar, and if the methods used to launch the payloads aren't something which can be easily be reverse engineered (a.k.a. an HTML with JavaScript on it or similar, with easily readable code), then yes, it might work.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

3ds.guide is very well made why would a potential switch.guide be bad? just because wiiu.guide is below standards?
Both guides are bad, misinformed and shit. /rant
Although I can agree on 3ds.guide that's it decent but never on hell about wiiu.guide.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha
SO your trying to protect a hacking guide.
Its the hacking world. People would get so many viruses trying to download fake guides.
Then the guide itself would be copy and move elsewhere.

The whole point of this stuff is to open things up for everyone to use.
Nintendo will find out sooner or later what is being done to hack there system and they will patch it.

And you do know that when your ip gets flagged for downloading torrents.
That the person who is flagging them is also downloading the torrent themself to see who all is downloading.

So basically saying there is nothing to stop a nintendo programmer from having an active account on here and getting all the information that is being used to hack there system.
This is nothing new here. I dont see why you would want to change how thing go.

Reactions: Deleted User

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both guides are bad, misinformed and shit. /rant
Although I can agree on 3ds.guide that's it decent but never on hell about wiiu.guide.
But for someone who doesn't know any better and just wants to run homebrew it's good. Is there really any need to go in the finest details?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill