Nintendo reportedly issues DMCA takedown for Switch homebrew projects, Skyline Switch emulator development ceased

sdaasddjiofgioj.png

Some fallout from the early leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom appears to be taking place. As players are loading the game into emulators and playing them unofficially on their computers, prior to the launch date, Nintendo is taking action to prevent that from happening. Lockpick and Lockpick_RCM are homebrew tools that allow users to dump unique keys from their Nintendo Switch console, which are required for numerous Switch hacking-related programs, including the Ryujinx and Yuzu Switch emulators. While Lockpick has been around for years, Nintendo has reportedly decided to go after it, by issuing a DMCA takedown to the GitHub project page, igniting concern and discussion within the community.

At the time of writing, Lockpick_RCM's repository is still active, it could be due to GitHub providing a grace period following a DMCA notice. Twitter user Simon Aarons was made aware of the takedown, after forking Lockpick, and allegedly receiving an email from GitHub, on behalf of Nintendo of America's legal team, who asserts that Lockpick is "circumvention software that infringes Nintendo’s intellectual property rights. Specifically, the reported repository provides Lockpick to users. The use of Lockpick with a modified Nintendo Switch console allows users to bypass Nintendo’s Technological Measures for video games; specifically, Lockpick bypasses the Console TPMs to permit unauthorized access to, extraction of, and decryption of all the cryptographic keys, including product keys, contained in the Nintendo Switch. The decrypted keys facilitate copyright infringement by permitting users to play pirated versions of Nintendo’s copyright-protected game software on systems without Nintendo’s Console TPMs or systems on which Nintendo’s Console TPMs have been disabled. Trafficking in circumvention software, such as Lockpick, violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of the United States (specifically, 17 U.S.C. §1201), and infringes copyrights owned by Nintendo."

Shortly after this, Skyline Emulator, a Switch emulator for Android devices, made the decision to shut down development, via a post on their Discord Server. Since you need the keys dumped from Lockpick in order to run Skyline, the team behind the emulator is concerned that it means Nintendo will target them for also violating their copyright.

It is with great sadness that we bring you this news. Recently, Nintendo has issued a DMCA takedown notice against Lockpick RCM which will likely come into effect on Monday, Lockpick is a core part of legally dumping keys from the Switch. They claim that it circumvents their copy protection (TPMs) and therefore violates their copyright. We find ourselves in a position where we are potentially violating their copyright by continuing to develop our project, Skyline, by dumping keys from our own Switches.

The Skyline team will be making their incomplete source code public, at the very least, and will keep the emulator's GitHub page active. Other homebrew projects are rumored to have been hit with DMCA notices as well. Ryujinx's emulator team stated that they will not be shutting down, following worries after Skyline.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This will undoubtedly do fuck all. Don't think anyone is worried. Shame about Skyline though. Was looking forward to using that to play my Switch games on my Switch using Switchroot.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wait until nintendo goes up against AI. there is no such thing as control anymore with AI taking over and nintendo trying so hard to hold on instead of just focusing on making tons of good content is sad.

the energy nintendo spends swatting flies could be much better spent

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo being the absolute pieces of shit they always are, except this time they did go a bit beyond.

Seems like they did indeed fume their asses out with TotK leaking and being playable leak day one on emulators, and this seems to be nothing but a fucking tantrum from them to try to stop this.

In any case, fuck Nintendo. Glad they haven't seen a dime from me in a decade, and that won't change anytime soon as long as they keep doing this shit.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, is crazy this has not happened earlier. By the way what other emulators also need firmware or something similar? I know Nintendo DS emulators and Dreamcast emulators that need firmware.

Does Dolphin need a Wii and or Gamecube firmware?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It can backfire causing even more issues for emulators if Nintendo would win that
Honestly, Nintendo would still find some means of winning because the DMCA is basically designed to be abused. Kind of like Nintendo changing their TOS to win the Drift lawsuit. So it’s really just hopeful thinking on my end but until the laws are changed, I know it won’t amount to shit

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Honestly, Nintendo would still find some means of winning because the DMCA is basically designed to be abused. Kind of like Nintendo changing their TOS to win the Drift lawsuit. So it’s really just hopeful thinking on my end but until the laws are changed, I know it won’t amount to shit
Of course it is. It's the companies that "wrote" the law so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto