Hacking A Tiny Soldering Job (Reversable Trinket M0)

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my Trinket M0 in, this was a very fun install, I have to run to McDonalds before they close but I wanted to share pics with you guys first. I only soldered wire to areas that were covered in solder... like ground for example, I used a capacitor, I also did not have to make cuts into any plastic or metal. Yes, it works :), thank you to xboxexpert for giving me the green light ;) I took videos of different things that were being asked, like how to remove the USB port without ripping pads off or how to remove the 'On' resistor, those will get added to this thread later when I have finished eating and editing.

Update: Here ya go! :D

Attachments

• Finished1.JPG
    Finished1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,594
  • Finished2.JPG
    Finished2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,539
Last edited by LineoftheDead,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got my Trinket M0 in, this was a very fun install, I have to run to McDonalds before they close but I wanted to share pics with you guys first. I only soldered wire to areas that were covered in solder... like ground for example, I used a capacitor, I also did not have to make cuts into any plastic or metal. Yes, it works :), thank you to xboxexpert for giving me the green light ;) I took videos of different things that were being asked, like how to remove the USB port without ripping pads off or how to remove the 'On' resistor, those will get added to this thread later when I have finished eating and editing.

Well done...

Its refreshing to see a tidy one.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you aware you have put it in the path the cold air follows to get into the fan? You are partially blocking air flow.

Using a very unscientific test involving gently blowing down the channel with a trinket installed - and forceful blowing - I conclude that there is no difference in airflow with the trinket installed. It isn`t rubber seal... It`s a trinket! Air flows over and around it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did this bulge out the back of your case?

No. They don`t bulge if you remove micro-usb. If you want to leave usb intact, you need to modify the shield.

Going back to airflow... I can imagine there would be far less cool air if you remove the shield as some people do.

The air going to the fan would already be partially heated by removal of the shield (by other components), making the fan work harder as you wouldn`t have the "chimney" of the shield.

Last edited by mattytrog,

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update, I'm exporting a youtube video showing most of the process. compiling atm, ~2 hours left... then ??? hours for the upload. I didn't talk at all... so get ready to learn by watching :P

Well done...

Its refreshing to see a tidy one.
Thanks!
Are you aware you have put it in the path the cold air follows to get into the fan? You are partially blocking air flow.
Nah, you are probably talking about the tape huh, I folded the flaps right after I took the picture.
I wish there were a tiny soldering person who could do this for me
Me too! :/
Where's tiny soldering guy when you need him?
I don't know man, hes generally sleeping in :/
Did this bulge out the back of your case?
I can't tell by looking at it, but I just laid it on a level surface and touched the corners - it rocks minimally on one corner. the only piece that hits flush is the push switch, I'm gonna order a reed switch off mouser when I make my next round of orders. When you lay the trinket on the metal shield, you can clearly visualize how everything will fit together.

Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
I want you guys to take a look at this photo - I live in a fairly dusty area, I bought the thing on release day, today is the first time I opened it up. This is the main reason I felt that the shield was important, but it also gave me a good clue on intake

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    691.1 KB · Views: 624
Reactions: CymraegAce

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Update: Here ya go! :D

Hahaha great!
I love how the button is triggered by the flimsy back! Clever.

Reactions: LineoftheDead

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gilding the lilly a bit there but might as well do a proper job.

I had missed this development so I guess for those unaware https://hackaday.com/2018/07/01/nintendo-switch-gets-internal-trinket-hardmod/ will do for a basic overview.

Which magnet wire did u use? What is that yellow transparent tape called???
Enamel coated wire is much of a muchness but I will leave it to the OP to share whatever diameter they used. The tape is commonly known as kapton tape, technically that is a trade name but pretty much everywhere will know what you mean if you ask for it or search for it. Well worth having if you are doing any kind of work like this.

Edit. Apparently lots of replies happened while I was off staring at the ceiling or something. I will leave this up though.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This IS tiny soldering guy!

Look:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/team-xe...-tiny-motherboard-i-do-tiny-soldering.493580/

@LineoftheDead
Will you install my SX Pro? It's very tiny and I can't do tiny insertions. Is the fee still $100?
hahahahaha YOU CAUGHT ME!!! I believe I am not allowed to specifically discuss services here until I have made 100 posts (then I could post in the marketing section). I have had direct messages where I mention the number 60, not including parts or shipping.

slslasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
thanks for the ans! Didnt use magnet wire before and the kapton tape. What degree did u use to remove the microusb port? 400?

FierceDeityLinkMask

GbaTemp's Official Deity
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my English is pretty bad, ill admit that
OH WOW. You're really the actual Tiny Soldering Guy! I am speaking to GBATemp's best Meme. I look forward to using this and value your post. Please elaborate more on this topic.

Last edited by FierceDeityLinkMask,
Reactions: Ronhero and gameboy

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the ans! Didnt use magnet wire before and the kapton tape. What degree did u use to remove the microusb port? 400?
It's really up in the air, I stopped relying so much on the temperature because I would find myself warping boards when waiting for solder to melt. The gun im using in the video goes to 398C on low, then 593C on high - The tip I am using has two slits to redirect airflow out the side. With this gun, I preheat close to the board on low, then I swap to high at about 5 times the distance. I periodically give a slight bump with my tweezers to check for lift off, then I set it down, give it 3 more seconds of heat for good measure and lift off.

OH WOW. You're really the actual Tiny Soldering Guy! I am speaking to GBATemp's best Meme. I look forward to using this and value your post. Please elaborate more on this topic.
I honestly thought you were screwing with me on page one, I love it. what topic? my english? I got really bad marks in high school and college

Reactions: FierceDeityLinkMask

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste