Accidentally clicked on Tinfoil on SYSNAND a few hours ago. Going for a NAND restore on Hekate. Precautions?

GabCupim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Been using EMUNAND for offline pirated and a 100% clean SYSNAND for stock online gaming for months.

However, since Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, I've been running the original cartridge in SYSNAND mode for the overclock (it helps a lot since the game performs so poorly)
I've played it online a few days, and since I had a clean SYSNAND, everything was ok.

PROBLEM IS:
I just completely forgot I was on SYSNAND and opened tinfoil and intalled a game this afternoon.
I realized the mistake and deleted it a few minutes later, and haven't connected to Nintendo after this.

Fact is, I know it's a guaranteed well placed ban the next time I connect online, so I'm gonna try a clean NAND restore through hekate (I have a backup on my PC)

I know it's not guaranteed to avoid the ban, but it's the best I've got, I think.

Any tips to avoid any flagging, from anyone who tried and succeeded avoiding the ban?

> Already deleted the previous "Nintendo" folder from the SD card, so that the restored sysnand find no traces of the dirty one.
> Backed up my Pokemon Violet save using JKSV
> backup already on the SD card and waiting to go.
> backup was made on firmware 13.1, and I'm running 15.1 now (might have a problem with that?)

Wish me luck!
(will post aftermath on the next few days from tomorrow on)
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:

Seems it worked! :switch:
For anyone interested, this is what I've done:

> Restored the clean nand backup through hekate

> Booted into sysnand (incognito) and updated my OFW from 13.1 to 15.1 via AOI updater (thought it was safer through here than via official Nintendo firmware update, since I had already updated once it would look suspicious to update again)

> Installed Pokemon Violet original cartridge again (still on incognito sysnand)

> Booted in the OFW and updated the game

> Booted into Sysnand incognito again, and restored my save through JKSV. Played for a while, overwrited the backup save via common game saving
> Booted into OFW again, took a deep long breath, and connected online. WORKS :toot: (eshop, online playing, etc etc)

Hope it wasn't flagged somehow, but I guess we'll soon know about that.
Will post again in a few days.

Any tips regarding the subject would still be appreciated!

Last edited by GabCupim,

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
You're over worrying stuff. I was doing everything on sysnand for years(probably 3 years) on my unpatched switch. I only used emunand when I moved to atmosphere and decide to purchase multiplayer games. and today I can still go online with a nintendo online subscription without any issues.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using EMUNAND for offline pirated and a 100% clean SYSNAND for stock online gaming for months.

However, since Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, I've been running the original cartridge in SYSNAND mode for the overclock (it helps a lot since the game performs so poorly)
I've played it online a few days, and since I had a clean SYSNAND, everything was ok.

PROBLEM IS:
I just completely forgot I was on SYSNAND and opened tinfoil and intalled a game this afternoon.
I realized the mistake and deleted it a few minutes later, and haven't connected to Nintendo after this.

Fact is, I know it's a guaranteed well placed ban the next time I connect online, so I'm gonna try a clean NAND restore through hekate (I have a backup on my PC)

I know it's not guaranteed to avoid the ban, but it's the best I've got, I think.

Any tips to avoid any flagging, from anyone who tried and succeeded avoiding the ban?

> Already deleted the previous "Nintendo" folder from the SD card, so that the restored sysnand find no traces of the dirty one.
> Backed up my Pokemon Violet save using JKSV
> backup already on the SD card and waiting to go.
> backup was made on firmware 13.1, and I'm running 15.1 now (might have a problem with that?)

Wish me luck!
(will post aftermath on the next few days from tomorrow on)
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:

Seems it worked! :switch:
For anyone interested, this is what I've done:

> Restored the clean nand backup through hekate

> Booted into sysnand (incognito) and updated my OFW from 13.1 to 15.1 via AOI updater (thought it was safer through here than via official Nintendo firmware update, since I had already updated once it would look suspicious to update again)

> Installed Pokemon Violet original cartridge again (still on incognito sysnand)

> Booted in the OFW and updated the game

> Booted into Sysnand incognito again, and restored my save through JKSV. Played for a while, overwrited the backup save via common game saving
> Booted into OFW again, took a deep long breath, and connected online. WORKS :toot: (eshop, online playing, etc etc)

Hope it wasn't flagged somehow, but I guess we'll soon know about that.
Will post again in a few days.

Any tips regarding the subject would still be appreciated!
You are overreacting a bit. I highly doubt you would get any kind of ban for that.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Cheating in online games or installing warez is a dead giveaway and may result in a ban sooner or later. Not sure if deleting the warez title *and* ticket before going online will change that. But running homebrew via title override or album applet should be safe.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that ^^ was an instant flagging.

What are you guys seeing as the saving grace that’s going to prevent this from becoming a console ban?
You are at basically zero risk unless you try to play the game. Even then offline play of those games isnt that risky.

• Wow
Reactions: binkinator

GabCupim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You are overreacting a bit. I highly doubt you would get any kind of ban for that.
I remember reading somewhere that you can use homebrew on sysnand just fine, but you surely can't install Tinfoil on it, can you? Heard it sorta instabans you when you have Tinfoil installed and connect to NIntendo

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading somewhere that you can use homebrew on sysnand just fine, but you surely can't install Tinfoil on it, can you? Heard it sorta instabans you when you have Tinfoil installed and connect to NIntendo
Yeah pretty much. Title installs are a quick way to get banned. But just applet homebrew tends to be fine.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah pretty much. Title installs are a quick way to get banned. But just applet homebrew tends to be fine.
Do you consider Tinfoil just applet homebrew? It shows up as an NSP and is managed by System Settings…along with the rest of your legit games.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you consider Tinfoil just applet homebrew? It shows up as an NSP and is managed by System Settings…along with the rest of your legit games.
I did say installed titles was a no-go and well I assume that would obviously rule out title installers.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did say installed titles was a no-go and well I assume that would obviously rule out title installers.

Using a title installer (Tinfoil) that must be installed to the *nand is exactly what was done and being asked about. Well, that and subsequently installing a title using said application. I guess we will know soon enough if this counts as a flag.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a title installer (Tinfoil) that must be installed to the *nand is exactly what was done and being asked about. Well, that and subsequently installing a title using said application. I guess we will know soon enough if this counts as a flag.
Tinfoil doesn't have to be installed, it is the most common way of using it but Tinfoil does have its own option to be ran like all other homebrew from hbmenu

Last edited by kidkat210,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally from what I have seen bans tend to be linked to launching installed titles from the home screen.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil doesn't have to be installed, it is the most common way of using it but Tinfoil does have its own option to be ran like all other homebrew from hbmenu
OP specifically mentioned having Tinfoil installed and I made the leap that by “install” they meant the recommended route of the installable .nro or the second most common .nsp method but you’re right, they could have gone with the 3rd option of using the neutered .nro applet which is defo less risky.

Even if everyone in this thread says it’s 100% safe I’m still going to go out on my own limb and say that installing Tinfoil and going Online is not a best practice and will likely get you banned.

I reserve the right to be wrong and become known as the foaming at the mouth idiot who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. :-)

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would check out the remove orphaned files option in DBI too. If you’ve accidentally installed something you shouldn’t have, it will clear up any installed tickets left behind that aren’t deleted when you delete the problem software.

May help reduce your chances of a ban when you go online again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, probably the scouter