ROM Hack Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth Fan Translation

RaymanFan1

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sorry guys, you've kinda just confused me more (i'm sure that's the fault of my ignorance, not what you've said :-\ ).
So flashcarts = real hardware, but flashcarts that can't patch the ROM's own copy protection measures probably won't be able to patch in the translation either? I think that sounds right, but I think the confusion stemmed from a previous post I saw about flashcarts not being taken into consideration at this point.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry guys, you've kinda just confused me more (i'm sure that's the fault of my ignorance, not what you've said :-\ ).
So flashcarts = real hardware, but flashcarts that can't patch the ROM's own copy protection measures probably won't be able to patch in the translation either? I think that sounds right, but I think the confusion stemmed from a previous post I saw about flashcarts not being taken into consideration at this point.
Flashcarts that can not run the original ROM properly won't be able to run the patched version either. Real hardware refers to a real DS.

Xellos2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I know even the chinese translation is getting really stick with chapter 3 as well. It hass been 9 month since they re;eased the beta for the first 2 chapter and since then nothing lol.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, nobody said we are stick somewhere but ok, i admit I have been informed of a problem on case 3 that will probably repeat itself on case 5 but there is not much we can do about it because correct that problem with ASM would be too much work so we have to find any of the workaround we have already found before.
Anyway the translators, localizers and inserters are doing great jobs.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, nobody said we are stick somewhere but ok, i admit I have been informed of a problem on case 3 that will probably repeat itself on case 5 but there is not much we can do about it because correct that problem with ASM would be too much work so we have to find any of the workaround we have already found before.
Anyway the translators, localizers and inserters are doing great jobs.

If you haven't said so already, what exactly is the problem with case 3?

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, always sizes.
The text in AAI2 is a big file with many sub-files (we call them SPT because of the magic word at the beginning of the file) and this sub files have an header and many "sections" (if you want some sub-sub files).
At first we started fight with the buffers where those SPT was loaded and overflows, then we tried various ASM solutions to reallocate or change the size of those buffers, we even tried to implement a 1 byte read system for the letters (the test is mixed with control codes that are always ready in 2 byte manner). After partial success on reallocating some buffers, we started fighting with some of the sections sizes because we can not reallocate all buffers so we had to workout a workaround (in this case move some text from a section to the other or adding sections to make the single sections smaller).
Now we reached another size limit and that is the SPT max file size (it's written in the header and allow max FFFF) but lucky us, there are only 2 files that should have this problem. We will need to move around some text again (probably moving some section to another SPT) but the player will notice nothing of all this workarounds.

Reactions: Mythrix

Doriphoor

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sure this sounds obvious but if you figured out the format of the control codes and how they work etc. wouldn't it be easier to add new SPTs instead of trying to squeeze it all in the available ones?

Oh great there's a typo in my account name xD

mrichston

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
That bug Auryn mentioned affects only 2 files.
It is actually section offset limit which we reached.

We haven't figured out all the control codes.
And we don't know how spts are called in investigations.
Both problem files are investigations.

For first problem file, I have used few digraphs as (temporary) workaround.
Other problem file will be in last case. I am not sure, if digraphs are enough for that.

For 178, I have used few digraphs as (temporary) workaround.

MHVile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Great job so far folks. Very anxious for the full translation to come out.

Is it my impression, or are these two stps the last remaining bugs? From what I've seen so far, you guys are progressing on quite a good pace.

mrichston

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Great job so far folks. Very anxious for the full translation to come out.

Is it my impression, or are these two stps the last remaining bugs? From what I've seen so far, you guys are progressing on quite a good pace.

Well, we haven't yet finished the project, so it is hard to tell. So far game breaking bugs
have mostly been limits, so I dunno if whole game or spt.bin have some kind of limit.

MHVile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, we haven't yet finished the project, so it is hard to tell. So far game breaking bugs
have mostly been limits, so I dunno if whole game or spt.bin have some kind of limit.

Oh I see. Hopefully there won't be any more of these complicated debuggings.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Because the patch is nowhere. It will be released when it's ready.

I disagree. I think it was for the better that that particular thread was open, so that (pointless) questions like that don't flood out of it everywhere (case in point, last post you replied to, here, totally unrelated to the thread, to this forum even!).
I think they should open it, like that "list of gaems to translate naw" on the romhacking wiki. This way, everyone is happy.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Watching this thread... omg. the memories... I used to be a frequent member of CR back in the golden days before the forum died. In fact, I spent some of my in between GBATemp time there, as I went back and forth here.

I was hoping the forum was still alive after I saw mention of it in the initial posts from two years ago in this thread. #ifonlyihadatimemachine

As everyone else is, I'll too be awaiting whatever results out of this project - I'd love to play the games too.

so much nostalgia......

RaymanFan1

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Because the patch is nowhere. It will be released when it's ready.
Well, given the context of the last couple posts there... there is a slight possibility that he's locked it so that he can make another one titled something along the lines of: "HERE'S THE GODDAMN PATCH. HAPPY NOW?" in only a few days time :ha:
Gotta live in hope.

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Remember that the patch would be for cases 1&2 only. They also have a nice progress on the rest of the game, but it still takes a while.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
@GHANMI and linkenski: It was closed by me because i was tired to read pointless discussions.
Maybe i will reopen it or i will delete it and start a new one...I haven't decided yet.
Anyway, you are wrong, that thread was created to "list" all latest updates and only I (or anybody of the group) should have written there.
I closed an eye when there was some compliments or some "important" questions to be asked.
I didn't come to the forum for some day and when i saw the last 2 pages, i just closed it.
All discussions (and i told that many times in that thread) was to be made in the "collaborative fan translation thread" and let that one clean.

@RaymanFan1: do you know when usually miracles happen??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1