Hardware Advice: If you intend to hack the Switch if it ever can be; consider buying your games physically

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
my games are linked to my NNID, so when i buy a new one i can just relink it and have my games back. only issue is the save files, which i backup regularly anyway
I used to think this too, but then I learned firsthand that this is not always the case.
What is Nintendo banning people for now? Cheating still?
Making a bunch of NNIDs to use with MCIT for posting some harmless custom images to Miiverse. For some dumb reason, Nintendo is doling out much stronger punishment for posting these images than for cheating online.

When you get banned (including permanent bans) for cheating online, at least you can still access the eShop to buy content and redownload your purchases. Not to mention that there are fewer and easier steps to overcome those bans. With two of my NNIDs (both linked to a 3DS with one of these bans), I cannot even use them for the My Nintendo rewards program (not that it matters when there are no exclusive physical rewards like there were with Club Nintendo).

I have always advocated against piracy, but now that I cannot even access the eShop with my account that is tied to hundreds of USD in 3DS and Wii U purchases, Nintendo has left me with no realistic alternative for eShop exclusive content.:hateit: Also, why should I buy anything with a different NNID when Nintendo could ban that NNID from accessing the eShop at any time for the most harmless things? It simply does not make any sense whatsoever to buy what is essentially a license for that content that could expire at any time without warning.:glare:

From now on, I will just stick to used games and make backups to avoid needing to keep the game cards and discs around at all times. In addition, I will buy PC versions of multiplatform indie titles, and just use copies of them from certain sites to access them on Nintendo hardware.

Last edited by I pwned U!,
Reactions: Faolan
D

Deleted User

Unless Nintendo has server issues and/or your NNID gets banned.
freeshop
Problem is that you'll have to contact Nintendo to ask them to allow you to do an forced system transfer, and AFAIK the results of getting this kind of help is mixed. I hope that Switch will use a system more similar to PSN/Xbox Live (you can force deactivate the account by yourself and use on another hardware) than 3DS/WiiU NNID (linked to 1 console, have to contact consumer service to force deactivate).
i've never had to contact them to relink my NNID with a new console

How the crap do you break a game? I've been playing physical copies since the pong clone era and all my carts and discs bought in the decades since then still work fine. But I guess knowing how to take care of stuff (including not losing it) is a rare skill or something

when did i say it broke? in the case for pokemon Y it's been lost somewhere around the house for over a year, and in the case of other games, you clearly don't have pets.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
I tried that with Nestle and ended up with diabetes and weight 300lbs.

Lol, what majorly sucks is that I bought Mario Kart 8 for Wii U, most did, it had 53% of Wii U users owning it which is a massive amount
The fact that the game is getting a whole new re-release means I will not pick it up again just for battle courses, especially when MK9 will also probably hit the switch
I found this rather annoying but will probably only play MK8 on switch when it is a hackable system, Wii U online servers will die soon I expect also

freeshop

i've never had to contact them to relink my NNID with a new console

I see, I think i've forgotten my NNID

Last edited by Miles54321,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate when people sell games they actually play while using a digital copy (pirated) as a substitute. I also dislike people who pirate games to keep sealed versions so they can have their cake and eat it too.

I keep games that I download digital versions for.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't make any sense.
It does make sense when the console isn't hacked yet. You spend basically the same amount on the game whether you buy it digital or physical, so if you buy physical you only pay for the games, but if you buy digital you also have to factor in paying for SD cards to hold them all (depending on how many games you intend to own this could become a bigger cost)

I generally have been starting to avoid physical copies of games lately. i've had my pokemon Y lost for over a year now. and generally physical copies, when they break. they're done for. moreso with Disc based games than carts, but same applies to anything physical
But you also have to consider the fact that physical copies can actually last much longer than digital copies. If you manage to keep a physical copy, you will always be able to play it, even when the download servers for that console's digital purchases get taken down eventually. And you can keep your digital copy after those servers go down, but if your console breaks you will no longer have a way to obtain the digital copy, but your physical copy will still work (this is if we ignore console exploiting, as the majority of people wouldn't know about that).

Reactions: thorasgar

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You do realize freeShop relies on Nintendo servers still, right?
So as stated before by others, if the servers ever go down in the future (which they will eventually) that won't be a viable method.
This is why I'm not against piracy. The method of archiving games for the 3DS exists. They can be archived in both .3ds and .cia ways. Even the digital games. So freeshop isn't required for those.

Reactions: Ryccardo

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy games full price. I'm not 12, I can afford a couple of games each month with no repercussion on my economics.
Heck I work just above minimum wage where I live and can set aside money for games every so often. And the switch's major title release schedule is fairly spaced out over the year so it should be easy to get all the games I want when they release.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know in about 20 years wii u games are going to have value. They will be rare then. thats why ima buy them now why they are cheap. just like i did with nes and snes. Wii u games wont be as valuable as sbes games but they will be rare.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im 12, and even i can get all the switch games with my mum's allowance
Well not all younger people get an allowance. Growing up my payment for doing chores was living in my house and having food to eat lol.
Edit: oh and not getting the belt lol

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: Pokem

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dang
that sounds tough
do u get kicked out if u refuse to do the chore?
Well no, but there were punishments for not doing them.
I never got paid for anything other than gifts for birthday/christmas. Usually didn't just get things for fun either, so if I wanted anything it was a birthday/christmas gift.
Though you can't blame my parents because we were poor af growing up, literally going off of church donation foods for quite a while.

Reactions: Pokem

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KingVamp @ KingVamp: So, is anyone else having problems with the site?