After an undisclosed security breach was revealed, Google+ will be shutting down

google-plus-1137983.jpeg

Google's failed attempt at a social media platform, Google+, will soon be coming to an end. In the aftermath of what appears to have been a major security flaw within Google+, the company ended up not disclosing the breach of information to its users. Google itself says the issue was quietly resolved in March 2018, but not before third parties obtained private user data off of Google+ profiles. Google claims that they didn't tell its users because they believed that without sufficient information on who was hacked, they found it wouldn't be useful to identify the public on the matter. Due to this, a memo from Google stated that revealing such a leak wouldn't be beneficial, and would raise concerns, akin to Facebook's own controversial leak.

Around 500,000 users were affected by this, potentially. The bug allowed for developers that had access to Google+'s API to access information of users that gave permission to the program. However, what wasn't known, was that on the given accounts, friends of that profile also had their data made available to developers, even if they made such data private.

In response to this, Google+ will be shutting down for regular users. Despite Google's efforts to keep the platform alive after it has been struggling since its launch in 2011, Google+ will not be available after August of 2019. Names, email addresses, occupation, gender, and age were all accessible, given that developers knew how to make use of the flaw.

To prevent such issues from occurring again, Project Strobe will be introduced. This method will better secure third party APIs with Google services, allowing for less data to be given to outside applications.

:arrow: Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an email from google tonight. They have opened a multiple topic forum with multiple sub topics. Their new goal is be one forum to rule them all. A forum for everyone and everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you shouldnt, you may run into one of your long lost daughters you never knew you had.
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    BigOnYa I had a modified version with texture mods and all kinds of goodies lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5g4kxs4UU&t=64s
    Me playing it like 4 years ago on a 2080 Ti lol
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice...