Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, and artist for Dragon Quest, has passed away

Untitled.png

Famous and beloved manga creator Akira Toriyama has passed away at the age of 68. According to an official blog post made by Bird Studio--Toriyama's manga company--he passed away on March 1st, of an acute subdural hematoma. He was known for a wide variety of works, most notably as the creator of the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump manga series, and having an influential affect on the industry. Toriyama also contributed as an art director and character designer for video games such as the Dragon Quest Series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and more. He had several projects both announced and unannounced that he was currently working on, including the anime Dragon Ball Daima, and a video game based on a manga series, Sand Land.

:arrow: Source

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Sorry I was just stunned when I saw the title

Simply a legend. I always think of certain people for whom I have immense respect (I don't want to say celebrities, but it might fit) for their work, and I think of the fact that they've been around for a long time, since I was a kid, and they too are getting older. I wasn't a huge fan of DB or his work either, apart from Dragon Quest which I love immensely but even then I don't think I'm the biggest fan. But he was undeniably a legend who inspired the whole world, there's no doubt he'll be remembered.

Last edited by LightBeam,

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sad news. I used to read a lot of Dr. Slump back in the days, then Dragon Ball then obviously DBZ. Also Dragon Quest series and Chrono Trigger. Toriyama will always be remember as one of the greatest artist by many. RIP.

Last edited by Ettino,
Reactions: CoolMe and genf

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest games, and the entirety of the Dragon Ball Franchise was illustrated by this man and it is actually really hitting me hard tonight.

May he rest in peace and may his works inspire and captivate many more in the future.

Reactions: CoolMe and genf
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Welp... His works were basically a huge part of my childhood. Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Sand Land, and so on... I've probably seen/read/played almost everything he was involved with, uh.
Mh... not much I can say except thanks for all the experiences, memories and laughs, eh.
May you rest in peace.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Did he also make Dragon Ball Z and Super?
If you want to be technical, DBZ is only known as that in the west, or via the anime. Dragon Ball, the manga, incorporates all of DB through DBZ, but the manga didn't change its name through its run. Toriyama did write for Super, though the job of drawing it was given to Toyotarou.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So wait - what will happen to Dragon Ball now?

I remember hearing that Toriyama had originally quit DB once before, but the god-awful DB Evolution (the very Americanised live-action "adaptation") convinced him to return - but now he's permanently retired.
So...I'm guessing Toriyama owned the IP?

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fucking shame. I may have my criticisms of Super, but DBZ was the reason I rushed home from school everyday in elementary and middle school, then my friend got me into Dragon Quest a little later. I know it happens to all of us eventually, but it doesn't make it any less sad when someone dies. The guy was a legend.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been a fan of DBZ and Toriyama's other works for as long as most people. In fact, I think I only first experienced DBZ like 3 years ago. Still, this is devastating to hear. Toriyama's work managed to touch so many people in so many ways. Iconic fight scenes, all the memes, other media referencing and being inspired by his work, he practically defined the shonen genre. He passed way too soon, and even after typing all this I can't believe it's real. Rest in Peace.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old. And no I didn't join the girl Scouts.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to memorize how to tell 15 different trees species, I think, been awhile. But yea it was about knowing Wood.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could've just wrote down firewood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It was lame. Like the goal was to earn badges/patches to wear on your uniform. Stupid.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Scooby door was the only thing that made the scouts seem cool back then
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Scooby door was the only thing that made the scouts seem cool back then