Hacking Alternative to Wii U USB Helper?

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, as we all know, this excellent software was discontinued by its creator, citing personal reasons. So now I'm looking for a replacement for this tool so that I can have backups available for some 3DS games when the eShop is closed.

I've been looking at some of the tools @cearp has made, like funkyCIA, funkeyCIA, but there are so many that I cannot distinguish which one of his tools is the best to create "perfect" cias, as he says?

Specifically, I'm looking for a tool that:

• Allows me to download games, updates and DLC
  • Packs them to a CIA file. Optionally, it could store the unpacked contents (the contents of the game, update or DLC) on a folder while the CIA is generated to different folder, just like Wii U USB Helper used to do.
  • Verifies the integrity of the downloaded contents
  • Generates CIAS that are 1:1 replicas of content found on the eShop, meaning that you can re-download them through the eShop. In other words, a perfect copy of the game, update or DLC that I choose
  • The CIAs generated must be able to be installed to any 3DS system. Hence why I call them backups in case I need to reinstall to same 3DS system or a different one. That means, the CIAs are not tied to my console

TL;DR: Need a replacement for Wii U USB helper that generates CIAs from the eShop that can be played on any 3DS system. Those CIAs must contain the same content as if I were downloading it from the eShop. The application needs to verify the integrity of the contents as it downloads it, in order to repair the damaged parts due to network error or other type of error that may corrupt the content. Basically, a tool that is close as possible in functionality as that offered by Wii U USB Helper.

Thank you in advance for the help. I think it would be helpful if @cearp could chime in and explain if any of his tools provide the above requisites as I have noticed he has been very active in these kinds of things with his tools, but he has created so many that I don't know which one is the closest one to Wii U USB Helper in functionality.

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, as we all know, this excellent software was discontinued by its creator, citing personal reasons. So now I'm looking for a replacement for this tool so that I can have backups available for some 3DS games when the eShop is closed.

I've been looking at some of the tools @cearp has made, like funkyCIA, funkeyCIA, but there are so many that I cannot distinguish which one of his tools is the best to create "perfect" cias, as he says?

• Packs them to a CIA file. Optionally, it could store the unpacked contents (the contents of the game, update or DLC) on a folder while the CIA is generated to different folder, just like Wii U USB Helper used to do.
  • Generates CIAS that are 1:1 replicas of content found on the eShop, meaning that you can re-download them through the eShop. In other words, a perfect copy of the game, update or DLC that I choose
  • The CIAs generated must be able to be installed to any 3DS system. Hence why I call them backups in case I need to reinstall to same 3DS system or a different one. That means, the CIAs are not tied to my console

TL;DR: Need a replacement for Wii U USB helper that generates CIAs from the eShop that can be played on any 3DS system. Those CIAs must contain the same content as if I were downloading it from the eShop. The application needs to verify the integrity of the contents as it downloads it, in order to repair the damaged parts due to network error or other type of error that may corrupt the content. Basically, a tool that is close as possible in functionality as that offered by Wii U USB Helper.

Thank you in advance for the help. I think it would be helpful if @cearp could chime in and explain if any of his tools provide the above requisites as I have noticed he has been very active in these kinds of things with his tools, but he has created so many that I don't know which one is the closest one to Wii U USB Helper in functionality.

Villian3DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

There was a thread like this just a couple of days ago.
A lot of people seem to prefer uTikDownloadHelper, so you could try that. Not sure if this one supports 3DS though.
Villain3DS is much newer and seems to be popular.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a thread like this just a couple of days ago.
A lot of people seem to prefer uTikDownloadHelper, so you could try that. Not sure if this one supports 3DS though.
Villain3DS is much newer and seems to be popular.

Villian3DS

Cool, thanks guys. Will give this application a try. Do any of you have a link to it, please?

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I downloaded Villain3DS. It looks good. I tried downloading a game, but I saw no content integrity verification while it was downloading a small title. Maybe @tranxuanthang could tell us if it has this functionality?

Another question: I noticed that this application in particular downloads the contents without their extensions, at least on Linux (which I don't mind as long as it works), but the fact that it downloads a cetk in contrast to Wii U USB Helper, which downloads a .tik, kind of threw me off in the sense of terminology.

If a ticket isn't a cetk, it can't be installed to any system, right? It would be a ticket just for the console for which it was generated. So, did Wii U USB Helper also downloaded cetks as ticket type since it makes sense: there was no part in that application in where to input a console serial so, although it said it downloaded a .tik for a certain title, in reality it downloaded a cetk so that the title can be universally used in any console, right?

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you can use google :P
Some guy made it work again.

Also, why don't you use freeshop?

Small correction. He's trying to make it work, he hasn't completed the workaround for Wii U USB Helper.

Reasons why I do not use Freeshop:

• It crashes on my 3DS. A lot. So I had to be careful where and where not to click as I could never find what caused it. Seemed random to me
  • Throughput of my Internet connection is not anywhere near as good on my 3DS as it is on my PC. Whenever I used Wii U USB Helper or Villain3DS, I can utilize almost the whole bandwidth of my connection and the speed is mostly stable throughout any title download, no matter its size. Freeshop is much better than FBI, at least on my device, since FBI for some reason stalls a lot and is very unstable while downloading, while Freeshop at least has retries for when the connection fails, with some wait time between retries that increases as the number of retries increases as well, but that does not happen with Wii U USB Helper or Villain 3DS. My guess is that the 3DS system has very poor networking capabilities, hence why it is so slow and unstable downloading anything directly from it. Even when I purchased some of my titles on it, I could see the download was so slow. Also, no sleep mode downloading capabilities on FBI or Freeshop
  • It's more efficient, for archival purposes, to download and store the backup on the PC, than do it the other way around by dumping the title from the 3DS and then transferring it to the PC. Although I do plan to make backups of some of my games using Godmode9, It' s a lot better to just download the backup for the game I don't have installed and don't plan to install yet because there are other games in queue that I need to finish first. And I need some extra space on my card to dump the titles I want dumps of anyways. On that topic, someone once told me that putting together (restoring) a game, its update, and its DLC CIA backups dumped with Godmode9 is not as straightforward as one may think. I figured I just had to look at the title IDs when I do a search for all the titles installed, identify the games, updates and DLCs title IDs on the list that Godmode9 shows me, proceed to dump them to CIAs, and then install those CIAs with FBI if I ever need to, just like I do with the CIAs downloaded with Villain3DS and Wii U USB Helper, when it was working. Can any one confirm if installing CIAs, specifically those of a game, its update, and DLC generated with Godmode9 is or isn't as straight-forward as one would do with Villain3DS, in which we download all the title CIAs related to a game, and the game proper, and just install it using FBI, or is there an extra step or two that I have to take in order to install these contents?
So yeah, those are the main reasons I do not use my 3DS' networking capabilities or any software that uses it (apart from FBI, but not for downloading from Nintendo CDN), aside for online gaming, of course, and even then, in that case, the connection is also flaky and unstable and some times I get dropped from online gaming sessions, though the connection seems to be more stable for online gaming.

Last edited by nbahamut,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Small correction. He's trying to make it work, he hasn't completed the workaround for Wii U USB Helper.

Reasons I do not use Freeshop:

• It crashes on my 3DS. A lot. So I had to be careful where and where not to click as I could never find what caused it. Seemed random to me
  • Throughput of my Internet connection is not anywhere near as good on my 3DS as it is on my PC. Whenever I used Wii U USB Helper or Villain3DS, I can utilize almost the whole bandwidth of my connection and the speed is mostly stable throughout any title download, no matter its size. Freeshop is much better than FBI, at least on my device, since FBI for some reason stalls a lot and is very unstable while downloading, while Freeshop at least has retries for when the connection fails, with some wait time between retries that increases as the number of retries increases as well, but that does not happen with Wii U USB Helper or Villain 3DS. My guess is that the 3DS system has very poor networking capabilities, hence why it is so slow and unstable downloading anything directly from it. Even when I purchased some of my titles on it, I could see the download was so slow. Also, no sleep mode downloading capabilities on FBI or Freeshop
  • It's more efficient, for archival purposes, to download and store the backup on the PC, than do it the other way around by dumping the title from the 3DS and then transferring it to the PC. Although I do plan to make backups of some of my games using Godmode9, It' s a lot better to just download the backup for the game I don't have installed and don't plan to install yet because there are other games in queue that I need to finish first. And I need some extra space on my card to dump the titles I want dumps of anyways. On that topic, someone once told me that putting together (restoring) a game, its update, and its DLC CIA backups dumped with Godmode9 is not as straightforward as one may think. I figured I just had to look at the title IDs when I do a search for all the titles installed, identify the games, updates and DLCs title IDs on the list that Godmode9 shows me, proceed to dump them to CIAs, and then install those CIAs with FBI if I ever need to, just like I do with the CIAs downloaded with Villain3DS and Wii U USB Helper, when it was working. Can any one confirm if installing CIAs, specifically those of a game, its update, and DLC generated with Godmode9 is or isn't as straight-forward as one would do with Villain3DS, in which we download all the title CIAs related to a game, and the game proper, and just install it using FBI, or is there an extra step or two that I have to take in order to install these contents?
So yeah, those are the main reasons I do not use my 3DS' networking capabilities or any software that uses it (apart from FBI, but not for downloading from Nintendo CDN), aside for online gaming, of course, and even then, in that case, the connection is also flaky and unstable and some times I get dropped from online gaming sessions, though the connection seems to be more stable for online gaming.
But his program works so...

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I downloaded Villain3DS. It looks good. I tried downloading a game, but I saw no content integrity verification while it was downloading a small title. Maybe @tranxuanthang could tell us if it has this functionality?

Another question: I noticed that this application in particular downloads the contents without their extensions, at least on Linux (which I don't mind as long as it works), but the fact that it downloads a cetk in contrast to Wii U USB Helper, which downloads a .tik, kind of threw me off in the sense of terminology.

If a ticket isn't a cetk, it can't be installed to any system, right? It would be a ticket just for the console for which it was generated. So, did Wii U USB Helper also downloaded cetks as ticket type since it makes sense: there was no part in that application in where to input a console serial so, although it said it downloaded a .tik for a certain title, in reality it downloaded a cetk so that the title can be universally used in any console, right?

it doesn't check for integrity but it downloads directly from nintendo's cdn servers

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ok, let me be more specific about that workaround.

Yes, you can look up titles, and you can even download from it. But what it cannot do, is fetch updated data. What this means, is that if a new title is released, it won't be picked up. You can test this by trying to look up the USA version of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux. It won't appear on your search list because currently, for some reason, it is not updating the availability of the latest titles. So this means that not only you won't be able to fetch the latest games, but you won't be able to download a recently released update or DLC. So let's say you have a title, and you applied an update to it. But then, if another update comes up recently, Wii U USB Helper won't pick it up. Same thing with DLCs being augmented with new content.

And that is the current affair of the tool. But work is being made on that part.

Last edited by nbahamut,

nbahamut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the piracy options for Wii U are being abandoned :/

Maybe it's Nintendo pressuring them to make them drop the tools by threatening with legal actions against the developers of tools like this. The author never stated the reason for him dropping the project, aside from "personal" reasons.

They (nintendo) may as well be the ones behind the developer of uTikDownloadHelper dropping support for it and even deleting the repo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it doesn't check for integrity but it downloads directly from nintendo's cdn servers

Yeah, I know that. But the fact that it downloads directly from Nintendo CDN doesn't mean that you will have a good or non-corrupted title download. Wii U USB Helper had integrity verification because the developer knew data could get corrupted while being downloaded, for whatever reason. Hence why I think Villain3DS should have this functionality as well.

Reactions: tranxuanthang

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hey LTT stole my shopping secrets for that video LOL