Hacking Gaming ROM Hack will "hshop" will still work after eshop closes down

opi3636

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
i was wandering will stuff like hshop and wii u usb helper still work after the eshop will close down. i saw post on reddit and i was really confused half of the people said it probably wont work and some say it will still work, and i saw another post here that the only reply just said now it works great so i came here to ask will does tools will still work after the eshop will close down or not

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure if mentioning this "shop" for 3DS is allowed here – I've seen it frequently and sometimes it got tolerated when not providing links.

NUS downloaders (like USB helper and NUSspli) obviously depend on the Nintendo servers still being online – which is still the case for DSi and Wii (for some months they went down: pretty eternal "maintenance").
For the foreseeable future these methods will continue to work (they aren't different from re-downloading purchased games).

That strange "not a shop" for 3DS, is a system for distributing pirated Nintendo content without the help of Nintendo servers (the NUS downloading method incorporated by FreeShop isn't possible for 3DS content anymore due to server side security upgrade).

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Halbour

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hShop doesn't download content from Nintendo servers so the eShop being online, offline or in maintenance has zero effect on it.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
It will because it doesn't use the Nintendo servers like the other piracy app that was used back then.

But still, the eShop isn't closing down, just not allowing purchases anymore.

There's also an alternative to the Wii U USB helper, just that one only downloads Wii U content.

kodomoinneverland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is likely that Nintendo will try to shut it down, but I think it is a good way to preserve digital-only games or titles that would be difficult to find and play without piracy

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
It is likely that Nintendo will try to shut it down
Not as long as they don't try to profit from it.

People loves to repeat this mantra, but Nintendo has only gone agaisnt rom sites that have earned money with roms in any way (ads, donations or Patreon) wich, in my opinion, is perfectly fair.

Reactions: Dud and SylverReZ

kodomoinneverland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not as long as they don't try to profit from it.

People loves to repeat this mantra, but Nintendo has only gone agaisnt rom sites that have earned money with roms in any way (ads, donations or Patreon) wich, in my opinion, is perfectly fair.
Well, it is well known that Nintendo has even shut down charities or other non-profit projects. But I really hope you are right. I really don't know how they deal with this things.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it is well known that Nintendo has even shut down charities or other non-profit projects. But I really hope you are right. I really don't know how they deal with this things.
It's simple. Just don't directly profit from it, promote piracy or use their copyrighted trademarks or their assets without permission.

I know what you're talking about. The Etikons would have been spared if they didn't directly use the word Joycon as part of the design, and most cases are like that. Nintendo is really protective of their IPs, keeping the same mentality as in the eighties, it's not right, but legally they can do it, and their criteria is really rigid.

Projects that don't directly use their assets are spared even if a precedent for taking them down exists. Look at the several decompilation projects of their games - Super Mario 64, Ship of Harkinian, Zelda 3... - that still exists because they're smart enough to not provide any single asset of the decompiled games, of wich you must provide a rom that you can acquire and dump legally all by yourself, provided you have the means to do so.

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course it will! hShop will spend the next decade - hopefully decades! - tea bagging on the corpse of the eShop.
Let's hope that Nintendo keep being dumb and oblivious about it and not juridically harrass the dev team.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper