Hacking Am I just stupid?

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought two RROD consoles awhile back and did a shitty reflow that lasted about a week and played on them a little bit (Halo 2 Halo 3 and maybe Blackops or BO2) and probably used my main hard drive at one point. My main hard drive is on my console I go on XBL on so it would have been up to the latest dash. The RROD consoles were jtagable (under 7371), or so i thought. I just did an actual reflow that should last awhile, but the dashboards on both are 2.0.12625.0. I never plugged them into any internet connection. Hell im not even sure I used my main HDD but I was 99.9% certain they were atleast on the NXE dash. Is there anyway my main HDD could have downloaded the 12625 dash onto my rrod consoles? I dont ever recall accepting any downloads on them. I also backed up both of the hard drives using horizon being as there was some stuff on them. Maybe that could have somehow updated them?
Really hope I didnt just misread the numbers this whole time. Id be less pissed if Horizon or My main HDD updated it than if I was wrong this entire damn time. I already spent $30 something on all the shit to jtag it. Worst case scenario I just sell what I dont need and RGH 1 them.

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶R̶G̶H̶ ̶1̶ ̶t̶u̶t̶o̶r̶i̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶I̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶
Found a tutorial. Now Im just curious as to whether Im very stupid or it was somehow updated.

Last edited by ScootSterling,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably required the update to play the game(s) you played. The system update required is on the game, and will prompt it at startup.

Even with a proper reflow with good temp curve and timing, you’ll still likely run into issues shortly again. You should really look into lead reballing if you want to make them last.

Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably required the update to play the game(s) you played. The system update required is on the game, and will prompt it at startup.

Even with a proper reflow with good temp curve and timing, you’ll still likely run into issues shortly again. You should really look into lead reballing if you want to make them last.

Well shit. Now that I know that Im not sure if I'm less pissed or more. If thats true I made two consoles that could've been jtag'd not able to be, lol.
Also I know they'll likely RROD again, I dont really mind. If it bothers me enough Ill pay someone to reball it. Thank you for proving me to be an idiot.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit. Now that I know that Im not sure if I'm less pissed or more. If thats true I made two consoles that could've been jtag'd not able to be, lol.
Also I know they'll likely RROD again, I dont really mind. If it bothers me enough Ill pay someone to reball it. Thank you for proving me to be an idiot.
Nah, you just didn’t know. MS is sneaky asf with the update crap.

Do you know what motherboards they are?

Last edited by brickmii82,
D

Deleted User

You can always RGH them

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, you just didn’t know. MS is sneaky asf with the update crap.
True, but why would I do it, TO BOTH FUCKING CONSOLES??? Lol. Atleast its fairly cheap to RGH 1.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can always RGH them
yeah but I like JTAG's more. Instaboot plus more rare.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if that can happen. each update contains files for both the flash and the hdd. only the flash will be updated with a new update if no hdd is detected. you can update the hdd with the same update files if you choose to do so. you can tell what the update is going to do by the wording of the update text. off hand, I can't recall what it says. I don't really know if it can update via the hdd update files. iirc, the update for the system starts with su in the update files.

btw, without an hdd, the avatar will appear as a grey silhouette. this is also true if you update, then insert the hdd or if you update a jtag/rgh (the flash) and don't install an official update. if it can update the flash, I don't know. my guess is no, but it's odd that an hdd could be updated while the flash isn't. I'm not going to say that that's impossible though. if you look in an update, you'll see several xex/xzp files and an su file. the su file is the update itself. ;)

Last edited by godreborn,

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Falcon can be RGHd, Zephyr, good luck.
It works but it's hard

Yeah, I thought about RGHing my recently acquired Zephyr after identifying the motherboard, but did my homework first. Read through tons of horror stories online with people trying to glitch it with very few ever having any success. I decided, it just wasn't worth the frustration etc.

@ScootSterling that really stinks that you accidentally updated those JTAGGable consoles as they're near impossible to find these days. They're also very stable compared to RGHing, even troublesome boards like Zephyr's etc. The update likely came from one of the game discs you popped in. If you ever come across a future JTAGGable console, JTAG it before playing any games on it. If you want to test out the disc drive before hand for any reason (don't necessarily need one with a JTAG console as you can play all your games off a usb or the internal hdd) make sure the game is old as dirt before putting it in, and of course keep it offline, but that goes without saying lol.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zephyrs do suck, but I’ve had better luck glitching them on 1.0 over 1.2 or 2.0. The falcon board will be instaboot for sure though. Just don’t lift the PLL bypass point. That’s a bitch of a trace repair. A friend told me... lol

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I thought about RGHing my recently acquired Zephyr after identifying the motherboard, but did my homework first. Read through tons of horror stories online with people trying to glitch it with very few ever having any success. I decided, it just wasn't worth the frustration etc.

@ScootSterling that really stinks that you accidentally updated those JTAGGable consoles as they're near impossible to find these days. They're also very stable compared to RGHing, even troublesome boards like Zephyr's etc. The update likely came from one of the game discs you popped in. If you ever come across a future JTAGGable console, JTAG it before playing any games on it. If you want to test out the disc drive before hand for any reason (don't necessarily need one with a JTAG console as you can play all your games off a usb or the internal hdd) make sure the game is old as dirt before putting it in, and of course keep it offline, but that goes without saying lol.
Yeah, I was like 15 and had no money at the time, did a super sketchy "reflow" with a blow dryer lmao. That was when I saw the dashboard and then I tried some games hoping it would work fine but being as i used a blow dryer it makes sense it wasnt good, lol. Sucks ass I fucked TWO up tho.

Yeah man, if I would have fucked up one I wouldve been kinda ok with it but two just makes me wanna hang myself lol. Hopefully no one else will be as stupid as me.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reflowing is patchwork.
It'll RROD within a couple of months anyway.
Which means you'd be spending money again or atleast time again into "repairing it"

The only method to get rid of YLOD/RROD is to reball the chips.

ScootSterling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reflowing is patchwork.
It'll RROD within a couple of months anyway.
Which means you'd be spending money again or atleast time again into "repairing it"

The only method to get rid of YLOD/RROD is to reball the chips.
Yeah I know but I dont feel like spending the money on sending it to get reballed when I spend the majority of my time on PC. Itll be fun at first but once i have it for a few months I probably wont use it much tbh. Mostly if ive got friends over or something. If it were jtag'd i wouldve had them reflown since they're kinda "rare" in a sense but I fucked that one up, lol.

Yeah a blow dryer doesn't get nearly hot enough to melt the solder for a proper reflow. You're better off with a heat gun (used for cell phones) as they get much hotter....
Yeah, thats what I used this time. I figured it wouldnt do much back then and just now got around to ordering the heat gun and everything just to find out i updated them. Really screwed the pooch on that one, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-