Hardware Am I the only one disturbed by this 1 Wii U controller design feature?

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you need four of those to play four player, I'll be broke..... FACK!!! I'M DOOMED!
But seriously..! :O

Though I saw a video of Rayman Legends and four players were playing but only one of em had that big one. The other controlls looked like Wiimotes.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you need four of those to play four player, I'll be broke..... FACK!!! I'M DOOMED!

Though I saw a video of Rayman Legends and four players were playing but only one of em had that big one. The other controlls looked like Wiimotes.
From what I understand, the big ugly monster of a controller is pretty much a master controller and all the other players just use Wii-motes.
Which is another problem I don't like if that's true.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

From what I understand, the big ugly monster of a controller is pretty much a master controller and all the other players just use Wii-motes.
Developers already reported that the latest updates to the devkit allow them to utilize more than one tablet controller, at least that's what I've heard.

Nintendo recieved complaints from both the developers and the fans and took them to heart. Not selling additional tablets would mean that in the event of breaking the master controller, the console as a whole would become nothing more than a pretty paperweight which would be a scandalous situation - the real concern is how expensive the controller will be when sold separately.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm hoping for a new wireless classic controller.
Classic controllers are essential for games like fighters, a sideways Wii remote just won't cope in some situations.
I know the Wii U supports old classic controllers but in order to get four players you have to purchase 3 remotes and 3 CCP's.
Nintendo probably are working/finished one by now, but oh the horrors if they haven't.

Reactions: 1 person

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Developers already reported that the latest updates to the devkit allow them to utilize more than one tablet controller, at least that's what I've heard.

Nintendo recieved complaints from both the developers and the fans and took them to heart. Not selling additional tablets would mean that in the event of breaking the master controller, the console as a whole would become nothing more than a pretty paperweight which would be a scandalous situation - the real concern is how expensive the controller will be when sold separately.
It seems like it would be cheaper and better to just ditch the beast and bring back small controllers in my options.

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

It seems like it would be cheaper and better to just ditch the beast and bring back small controllers in my options.

I think you may choose what controller you'd like to use. Or I'd hope so anyways.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think you may choose what controller you'd like to use. Or I'd hope so anyways.
The first player uses the Master Controller while the others use WiiMotes and Nunchucks/Classic Controllers unless the game is specifically designed to utilize numerous WiiU controllers.

I mean, think of the split-screen! No more will we, gamers, be subjected to The Fearsome Pause Button whenever someone needs to grab another beer or go to the loo... in fact, we won't have to be confined on one couch at all - every player will be able to walk around anywhere he/she pleases! A dream come true! A perfect framework for split-screen!

I will go on a killing spree if this opportunity is not utilized to its full potential.

Reactions: 2 people

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The first player uses the Master Controller while the others use WiiMotes and Nunchucks/Classic Controllers unless the game is specifically designed to utilize numerous WiiU controllers.

I mean, think of the split-screen! No more will we, gamers, be subjected to The Fearsome Pause Button whenever someone needs to grab another beer or go to the loo... in fact, we won't have to be confined on one couch at all - every player will be able to walk around anywhere he/she pleases! A dream come true! A perfect framework for split-screen!

I will go on a killing spree if this opportunity is not utilized to its full potential.

Agreed. I could go take a crap while playing with my friends who are in the livingroom or bedroom.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
These are my opinions on the controller:
It's interesting how they will progress with the possibilities thanks to Ni-Fi transfer, from what I've seen it looks comfortable to hold and I unlike the the OP actually like the way the analog input is placed. It's a fusion between the symmetry of a dualshock and the comfortability of having the analogs placed higher up.
My only real concerns about it are if it will get analog shoulder triggers, the start and select positions and the color.
I'm not going to buy a white console, that means I won't a Wii U one until we either see a black or blue one officially released or as third party housing replacements.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely a new style of controller that many people will have to get used to but after using them for long enough it will become second nature

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree that the position is quite unfortunate. The main focus for the right hand should be function buttons, not the slider thus the buttons should be positioned at the level of the slider on the left side - Nintendo wanted to be artsy and went with the symmetrical setup of sliders which may cause initial confusion.
Indeed, I agree completely! I think this could be completely fixed if the sliders on both sides were swapped with the dpad/actionbuttons... then the sliders would still be on the same level, but the action buttons would be above the sliders. just my opinion.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that the position is quite unfortunate. The main focus for the right hand should be function buttons, not the slider thus the buttons should be positioned at the level of the slider on the left side - Nintendo wanted to be artsy and went with the symmetrical setup of sliders which may cause initial confusion.
Indeed, I agree completely! I think this could be completely fixed if the sliders on both sides were swapped with the dpad/actionbuttons... then the sliders would still be on the same level, but the action buttons would be above the sliders. just my opinion.
What difference does it make!? If the sliders are higher all it means is easier access to the L and R buttons in a FPS. My God man. All they did was put them above.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What difference does it make!? If the sliders are higher all it means is easier access to the L and R buttons in a FPS. My God man. All they did was put them above.
Because quite literally every controller since the N64 and dualshock controllers has followed this setup. More than just a matter of changing an old habit, it's a matter of doing something that's counter intuitive to just about every console gamer. Especially for Nintendo gamers, for whom the placement of the A/B/X/Y/ buttons are second nature.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because quite literally every controller since the N64 and dualshock controllers has followed this setup. More than just a matter of changing an old habit, it's a matter of doing something that's counter intuitive to just about every console gamer. Especially for Nintendo gamers, for whom the placement of the A/B/X/Y/ buttons are second nature.
So a controller with a big screen in the middle is old news but how dare they move the control sticks up? Its a new controller. Its not like they hoped into thier Nintendo TimeFlyer+ (Now with cupholders!) and changed the position of the dual sticks in every controller since the n64, and left you alone with the knowledge of how they are now. Its a new controller bro. Not to be mean or anything but I think your making a big deal out of nothing.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
gallery_122809_405_64623.jpg

Tell that to the fucks at Microsoft

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A screen in the middle adds a ton of functionality and possibilities for new games, without actually taking away from the style or capabilities of a regular controller. Changing the position of the analog and action buttons though adds no new functionality whatsoever, and seems like a change "just because". That's all I'm saying. Why fix what isn't broken, if it brings nothing new to the table?

Of course, I'll probably see the finish product and play around with it and change my mind. I have faith in Nintendo here. I'm just saying that, as it is (remember, this controller is just a concept), it looks a bit awkward to use.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
A screen in the middle adds a ton of functionality and possibilities for new games, without actually taking away from the style or capabilities of a regular controller. Changing the position of the analog and action buttons though adds no new functionality whatsoever, and seems like a change "just because". That's all I'm saying. Why fix what isn't broken, if it brings nothing new to the table?

Of course, I'll probably see the finish product and play around with it and change my mind. I have faith in Nintendo here. I'm just saying that, as it is (remember, this controller is just a concept), it looks a bit awkward to use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: