Amazon creates gaming division, shows off 3 upcoming titles

CrucibleKeyArt_1280_web.jpg

Amazon.com, one of the largest online retailers to exist, has decided to take a step into the gaming world, by creating a subset division called Amazon Game Studios. They plan to develop 3 games:

• Breakaway, a 4v4 brawler designed to cater to the live streamer audience of gamers. The premise of the game is that players create teams of "legendary mythological warriors" and work together defeat the opposing team.

• New World, a "massively multiplayer open-ended sandbox" game that focuses on "emergent" gameplay and has you fighting monsters, building civilizations, and trying to survive against other player factions.

• And lastly, Crucible, a game which sets 12 players on a planet where they must compete to survive against an array of deadly forces and can forge alliances or betray allies in order to win. It will also feature character customization.

These three games do not have a set release date, but you can sign up for Breakaway's alpha in the link down below.

:arrow: Source: Amazon Game Studio's Website

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound mean, but saw this coming years ago? Anyone remember? Killer instinct for xbox one wad originally developed by double helix which amazon bought, making iron galaxy to finish the game? So is kinda old news, 3 years old. :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
  • New World, a "massively multiplayer open-ended sandbox" game that focuses on "emergent" gameplay and has you fighting monsters, building civilizations, and trying to survive against other player factions.
"Emergent gameplay", AKA "we don't know you're supposed to do here so we're hoping the players find something to entertain themselves."

Growth in the gaming industry = bad thing though apparently according to GBAtemp members.
Growth and change are bad ;O; Why can't the same companies keep re-making the same games with the same characters, only in higher resolution? ;O;

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
"Emergent gameplay", AKA "we don't know you're supposed to do here so we're hoping the players find something to entertain themselves."

Growth and change are bad ;O; Why can't the same companies keep re-making the same games with the same characters, only in higher resolution? ;O;

Isn't that what they always do? just look at the PS4pro

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
"If it's not Nintendo, it's not important"
-Most of GBAtemp, probably

Can you blame the users when the website's name reflects Nintendo? and most hacking and tools happen on Nintendo's side?
so most of the people here are Nintendo fans. Go to a Playstation website and don't be surprised at people only caring about PS lol

I like PC gaming and Nintendo, but most of the AAA industry just copy whatever is successful and It's become really boring.
An Industry that can't innovate should go extinct, they mostly make money now ripping us off with Micro Transactions, Pre-orders
and games sold in pieces as DLC.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people talking crap about the games... Honestly, there is very little that has a new and original premise in gaming (or any other industry for that matter). But even games that are not entirely original can be a massive success because of the implementation of the ideas. They honestly haven't given us enough information to judge them yet, so at least wait and see, even if the concepts do not sound particularly inventive just yet.

Crucible sounds like Hunger Games.
This actually sounds really interesting to me. As always, it depends on how exactly the execute it... But if they can successful make a game where you can form organized alliances and share a joint victory or backstab each other mid-match, that would be a pretty cool mechanic. There has to be some organized component to it though, or else the game would always devolve into a free-for-all because nobody wants to work together if there's no benefit.

Anyway, I for one am glad that "Amazon" is getting on real gaming. It does sound like it might as well be Twitch Studios, but I guess they had a different marketing strategy in mind. Even if they do want the Twitch integration to be strong (which makes sense, Amazon being the parent-company), I think they still want to appeal to gamers outside of the livestream crowd.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If it's not Nintendo, it's not important"
-Most of GBAtemp, probably
Can you blame the users when the website's name reflects Nintendo? and most hacking and tools happen on Nintendo's side?
so most of the people here are Nintendo fans. Go to a Playstation website and don't be surprised at people only caring about PS lol
See this? You said it exactly. GBA-temp.... That is why. Lol :P
Call it PSXtemp or XBOXtemp or something and expect users to be concerned with Playstation or xbox stuff. Perhaps is time for name change to reflect were not all about nintendo, but much large. Besides we kinda left GBA on the shelf to collect dust back in 2002 :P

Just like "Angry Nintendo Nerd" While he is not that anymore simply cause
  1. Disassociate himself with nintendo for legal reasons
  2. He clearly isn't limited to NES games, since he plays just about any console he can get his hands on.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

They already have something similar it seems.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Gaming-Edition-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00XNQECFM

They even struck a deal with Yacht club games to include shovel knight with the console (and duck tales: remastered).
There's no question Amazon wants to dive into the gaming industry pretty bad.
I'd just get a Pi or Android Box and call it a day than buy Amazon's Fire TV Gaming Edition device. It's cheaper and for controllers, any will do.

Yo Hello?? Splatoon?? I'm right here!! xD
Nintendo kinda took the idea from Mario Sunshine and turned it to a shooter, just by spraying paint everywhere. I liked the game but got bored of it eventually and the single player mode was very lacking. Clearly targeted to be an online-only shooter by Nintendo.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I love how everyone is calling these derivative of other games...EVERY GAME IS BASED ON ANOTHER GAME THESE DAYS. I for one want to see more info before I bash these games
Yeah but these are all pretty obviously based on games/formulas which have released and been successful within the last few years. Would've been nice to see even an ounce of risk-taking here.

Even worse is that these are multiplayer-only (probably always-online) games, and seemingly none of them have a single-player component. As their first games I don't feel like this is giving them a good shot at quality content, and the screenshots just scream, "bleeding-edge graphics with shit gameplay." Hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but this isn't my first year following the game development scene.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Deleted User

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This should be a cause for major celebration. Here comes this new player in the industry with major capital behind it rolling out three original IP's right out of the gate - great. In the age of remakes and remasters, it's a great sign. If they succeed, it basically means that the free market works and we're not beholden to major AAA houses like EA, Ubisoft or Activision - someone can *always* step in and shake things up.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So...did amazon just announce more new AAA-budget IP's than the entirety of E3? :creep:

All in all, it's certainly interesting news. It's just that the text should read "Amazon.com, one of the largest online retailers to exist, has decided to take another step into the gaming world". After all, they've acquired double helix over two years ago. I thought they even released a game under their flag, though the name escapes me right now.

@Zeriel: there's no point in arguing with Bladexdsl. I can't remember him ever being optimistic on anything. Whenever there's a second coming of Jezus Christ, I'm sure he would go "pfff...he's just copying the original".

Reactions: Veho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1