Amazon creates gaming division, shows off 3 upcoming titles

CrucibleKeyArt_1280_web.jpg

Amazon.com, one of the largest online retailers to exist, has decided to take a step into the gaming world, by creating a subset division called Amazon Game Studios. They plan to develop 3 games:

• Breakaway, a 4v4 brawler designed to cater to the live streamer audience of gamers. The premise of the game is that players create teams of "legendary mythological warriors" and work together defeat the opposing team.

• New World, a "massively multiplayer open-ended sandbox" game that focuses on "emergent" gameplay and has you fighting monsters, building civilizations, and trying to survive against other player factions.

• And lastly, Crucible, a game which sets 12 players on a planet where they must compete to survive against an array of deadly forces and can forge alliances or betray allies in order to win. It will also feature character customization.

These three games do not have a set release date, but you can sign up for Breakaway's alpha in the link down below.

:arrow: Source: Amazon Game Studio's Website

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
yeah and i'm fucking sick and tired of it. where is the creativity these days? :glare:
High costs of developing for modern gaming platforms killed it. Big studios aren't willing to risk it, and indie games are viewed as either hipster garbage or casual garbage. There is no money in creativity.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

New World and Crucible sound fun! I can't wait to see what they're like and if they're good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

original lol there is nothing original about them they are all ideas from other games :lol:
There's technically no such thing as originality, everything has pretty much been done already. New, "original" games are basically just elements from other games squished together to make something new.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Welp, as long as we only keep getting stronger and stronger hardware in linear progression (XB1, PS4 and their upgrades) we'll only keep seeing remasters and rehashes of concepts, just like this. Game development keeps being more costly thanks to people demanding flashy visuals from their consoles with next to no substance. No real originality can be had under these circumstances.

Admittedly, I am happy a new player is entering the fray but, really. Announcing three face-lifts of other games won't be helping much...

I'm actually concerned this might go out of hand and result in another video game crash >_>

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Game development keeps being more costly thanks to people demanding flashy visuals from their consoles with next to no substance. No real originality can be had under these circumstances.
Not always true, there's Witcher 3 and the Dark Souls games, but those might just be the exceptions that prove the rule. I think if devs fall into the trap of visuals being prioritized over gameplay they really have only themselves to blame. Even Blizzard with their primarily PC audience understand that max polys isn't the most important thing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still think people use originality when they mean a variety of other terms, none of which is originality. I hope it does not become the gaming equivalent of literally.

On another crash I am curious to see what form that might take, and if indeed it would be global this time. I highly doubt there would be no games at all as indie would keep trucking along and open source is also a thing.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SDA @ SDA: @Xdqwerty it's gone. Dead.