an adjective that describes the nature of Nintendo 3DS system software updates

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it means "it won't corrupt the system even if abandoned halfway through", someone here mentioned a very professional wording, as the update is like just adding files to the system (like those in "Data Management")... What is that called? Additive? Cumulative? This drives me crazy!

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm curious to know the original term, as I wasn't even aware of 3DS updates having this property!

One term that is sometimes used in computing to refer to some action that either completes successfully, or maintains previous state (as in, with no possibility of a broken in-between) is atomic. I'm not sure if it applies here, it's just one possible guess.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Incremental, I think you mean?

I doubt that's how it actually works, though. Most likely, the update is downloaded to a different part of the filesystem and the unit is only directed to use that part of the filesystem once the update is confirmed to be complete. I think that's how updates work in other systems.

Reactions: R4ismychildhood

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it writes the most critical parts first, so if it gets interrupted, it doesn't matter as much. FlashMe v8 works this way. You get past a certain percentage, and if it fails after that, it's okay to try again.

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Incremental, I think you mean?

I doubt that's how it actually works, though. Most likely, the update is downloaded to a different part of the filesystem and the unit is only directed to use that part of the filesystem once the update is confirmed to be complete. I think that's how updates work in other systems.
that’s the one!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated