Analogue will have limited restocks of their Nt Mini Noir and Super Nt systems tomorrow

hero-landscape.jpg

Those still waiting around hoping to get their hands on one of Analogue's FPGA consoles will have the chance to make an attempt at buying two different models, tomorrow. Analogue is restocking both the Mt Mini Noir, which plays NES, Famicom, and Famicom Disk System games, as well as the Super Nt--their take on the Super Nintendo. This will be the final call for the Nt Mini Noir, as there are no plans to make more units in the near future. They'll be available to order on April 9th, at 8am PDT.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
ITT: All ya'll pissing and moaning about the price of this thing. Boo fucking hoo. Don't buy the damn thing. It's for a very niche consumer, and clearly none of you fit the bill. These systems were never cheap, and never will be.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is obviously a market for these things.. I just personally don't get it.

I have a Super NT. With an SD2SNES cart and some OEM controllers in excellent condition, it's as good as SNES gets. The real SNES consoles, and I own several, don't play along with modern TV's well. If you want to cut that hassle of upscaling and etc out of the equation and just enjoy the games, Super NT baby!

But I never felt extremely drawn to buying the NT Mini. Prices for them have always been stupid, and while NES was historically significant, groundbreaking, etc (I was in college when it came out, so I experienced the whole thing) ... compared to modern consoles or even the SNES it's really a pain in the ass to play. I actually prefer playing the 8-bit generation consoles on emulators, with save state and etc.

Reactions: Xzi and mthrnite

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was lucky to get a Super NT second hand for £180 (importing it brand new would result in import taxes) and while it's nice for getting my SNES carts to look good on HDTV, I still think a modded SNES mini with wireless controllers is still a cheaper alternative.

Natsukashii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Funny thing about things like this is that it's for
Ppl that feel nostalgic and want to use original game cart
But not nostalgic enough to use original hardware and the lower quality it give.

Pretty hypocrite in my opinion.

If you want both nostalgia and quality, just keep original game cart and original hardware as collection piece then use an emulator that will be vastly superior to all theses fpga. Theses things are just a waste of material and money.
But yeah, to each their own, just don't try to find excuse.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There is a worldwide microchip shortage going on right now, not their fault. Also the tech that goes into these systems are super expensive.
The chip shortage is bullshit, there's no shortage of silicon. It's grown in a kiln as 1ftx12ft ingots over a span of two weeks. (I used to work at a solar panel factory, they grew all their own silicon, just like chip fabs do.)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
ITT: All ya'll pissing and moaning about the price of this thing. Boo fucking hoo. Don't buy the damn thing. It's for a very niche consumer, and clearly none of you fit the bill. These systems were never cheap, and never will be.
Don't we have to piss and moan first before deciding not to buy it lol.

I'm glad for all the pissing and moaning it helps people reading this thread make a better decision if to buy or not to buy. I embrace the moaning.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The chip shortage is bullshit, there's no shortage of silicon. It's grown in a kiln as 1ftx12ft ingots over a span of two weeks. (I used to work at a solar panel factory, they grew all their own silicon, just like chip fabs do.)
Isn't it reasonable that a solar panel factory would require a lower-grade and more easily-grown form of silicon than you would need for the latest and greatest chips? Not to mention the other, less common materials that might be required – coltan and so on.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

JupiterJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF are some of you talking about. The super NT is only $190, not $500. The nt noir is 500 but it’s an overpriced limited edition that most people don’t care about and isn’t representative of their product line. None of their standard models are over 200, abs no one really needs the dumb collectible ones.

It’s cheaper than a framemeister and is probably the single best out of the box option for playing legit cartridges on hdtvs with no lag. I’m fine with emulators and I lost or sold my snes carts a long time ago, but the kinds of people who want the best experience on retro consoles pay sooooooo much more than $190 to do it.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I have a Super NT. With an SD2SNES cart and some OEM controllers in excellent condition, it's as good as SNES gets. The real SNES consoles, and I own several, don't play along with modern TV's well. If you want to cut that hassle of upscaling and etc out of the equation and just enjoy the games, Super NT baby!

But I never felt extremely drawn to buying the NT Mini. Prices for them have always been stupid, and while NES was historically significant, groundbreaking, etc (I was in college when it came out, so I experienced the whole thing) ... compared to modern consoles or even the SNES it's really a pain in the ass to play. I actually prefer playing the 8-bit generation consoles on emulators, with save state and etc.
One thing about fpga is lag. It's the fastest most responsive thing ever. It feels more responsive then run ahead retroarch. Retroarch also feels stuttery. Especially when I put it side by side to a fpga. G sync was the only fix for that. Super nt goes in the same category as mister.

It feels much funner to play old games with lagless play. You feel in control. And nothing holding you back like your feet are made of bricks. That's what lag feels like.

I messed with both mister fpga and computer emulation and I prefer the mister. It's more compact and just works.

Plus if you still game on a crt fpga's work better then pc emulators. Low res switching on pc can sometimes not work right.

The other option is raspberry pi. I have not messed with that and don't know how the crt capabilities are on that. It is cheaper then the mister. But still has emulation overhead fpga doesn't have.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that makes sense, but if I didn't have a CRT to play my SNES on I'd probably skip the extra hardware altogether and get a USB adapter for SNES controllers. Or even easier: use an 8bitdo SN30Pro.

cover.jpg

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that makes sense, but if I didn't have a CRT to play my SNES on I'd probably skip the extra hardware altogether and get a USB adapter for SNES controllers. Or even easier: use an 8bitdo SN30Pro.

View attachment 257164

I do have a 27" Trinitron. Mostly gets used with the AV Famicom and the Gameboy Player. On the HDTV upstairs which I use the most, the Super NT goes to one HDMI input, and the Framemeister to another. But truth be told most of the time if I have time for video games, which is almost always brief, I blow off steam playing Mario Kart online on a Switch Lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: The third one ducked. +1