Anbernic reveals the RG35XXSP, a GBA SP-inspired retro handheld

anbernic rg35xxsp.jpg

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic has revealed its first clamshell device: the Anbernic RG35XXSP. As the suffix indicates, this handheld's design is inspired by the GBA SP but it should be capable of playing more than just GBA games. While full specs of the device have yet to be revealed, the naming convention indicates that it will likely be another RG35XX device, just in another form factor. This means packing the quad-core H700 chip and the company has confirmed that the device will support HDMI connection, Bluetooth 4.2 and WiFi connectivity.

No availability or pricing for the Anbernic RG35XXSP have been announced but we should expect the company to provide more details in the coming weeks.

:arrow: SOURCE

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the boot time like on these Anbernic handhelds? The reason I keep using my GBA is because I can go from power switch to game within 15 seconds, even with the EZ-Flash.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could use a small analog stick but looks solid enough.
Wifi and bluetooth are important to me but if the price is over a hundred I'd expect better overall power.
If its somewhere around fifty dollars it would make a good gift or impulse buy after some modding.
Also if they offer it without an SD card full of pirated games please, I have standards.

The form factor is the biggest draw for me as nice as these big monster handhelds are it was nice to just have some pocket games not on my darn phone.

Hope they keep improving this format in the future.

Now if only an x86 handheld could be this small and pocketable with enough battery power heh.

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the GBA clamshell al the time. It was very convenient to carry in your pocket and not ruin the screen... Truly portable. Wish I still had it.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the boot time like on these Anbernic handhelds?
depends. With the shitty default os, like 8 seconds into the menu. With garlicos, it's stupid fast. 3-4 seconds max. You also boot right back into whatever game you were playing too (exactly at the point you turned it off which is cool). Unfortunately, this new model is using the new 35xx chipset and garlic hasn't unlocked 100% full performance on that chipset yet like they did on the og model (which isn't a huge deal since it'll still play fine one the games you'd be playing on a device like this). Still fast to boot though.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I bought a powkiddy v90 at the time because it was cheap and the form factor is convenient, so I can see how this one could have some appeal

But it's Anbernic, so it's probably going to be pretty expensive I guess ?

It definitely looks like it's much more qualitative than my garbage v90, and definitely is a better option than any non-modded GBA
Post automatically merged:

Miyoo Mini Plus
Is it tho ? Cuz this seems bigger and compared to my Miyoo Mini (not plus) it also feels more comfortable ... Same for my v90, I wonder if the fact that the Mini Plus being a bit bigger actually is a HUGE improvement or if it's just a thing with the form factor.

Last edited by LightBeam,

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initial launch price on this one has been confirmed at $59.99 + shipping so the regular retail in the future is probably in the realm of 70-75

Reactions: Veho

Andy2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dude, they got no chill! Actual landfill birthing machine. No one plays with these things, the suckers just buy these things and put them in their drawers or put them on display for "aestetics"

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh, good - unlike EVERY OTHER FAKER Anbernic managed to get the letter buttons in the right order. Awesome! That's the bare minimum I expect from someone cloning old Nintendo consoles, and only Anbernic (and 8bitdo) have met that standard! :toot:

MaladroitJoypad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My hype is just the fact they rarely do anything different like the flip style anymore, we finally get something different and people shout ewaste still. The powkiddy v90 was a hit but that was like a $40 release. Knowing Anbernic this will fall in the $150 category. I'll wait to snag one on Aliexpress for like $80. We need to praise companies for actually doing a different design instead of just oh look another money grab. It may push them into thinking wow customers really want something different.
Glad, you are wrong. Its 58.99$ for the first few days, after that 64.99$. I paid 84.99$ including shipping etc (my country's tax law suck btw).

I got this one for my first retro console ever and what Ive seen so far in reviews and live streams, it will have everything I need on this device. GBA games+romhacks as well as SNES games+romhacks will run perfectly on it. Everything else will be a bonus for me. I wonder what the CFW scene will flush out the next couple of weeks.

There's no dedicated subforum for Anbernic devices on gbatemp, is there?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, good - unlike EVERY OTHER FAKER Anbernic managed to get the letter buttons in the right order. Awesome! That's the bare minimum I expect from someone cloning old Nintendo consoles, and only Anbernic (and 8bitdo) have met that standard! :toot:
And Miyoo, KTPocket, Powkiddy, GameForce, Retroid, AYN... Pretty much all of the systems aimed at playing older titles have Nintendo layout lol. It really is the majority in the space, the only one I can think of that has Xbox layout off the top of my head is AYANEO's Pocket S.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Reactions: MaladroitJoypad

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
$60 is an amazing price for it. Knowing Anbernic I expected it to be over $100 for sure.
The whole RG35XX series is pretty reasonable tbf, I think they need to be staying competitive with other low price (but pretty solid) systems like the Miyoo Mini Plus. Will be interesting to see what Miyoo’s clamshell will retail for. Going backwards I can’t see it being too expensive to remain competitive with this lol

Project68K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a second I thought it was Nintendo re-releasing the GBA SP. I'm disappointed and not interested, then.
Post automatically merged:

It really feels like this happens weekly.
agreed. the only thing I was interested in back then was that K1 GBA SP clone that actually played GBA cartridges, but that's long been discontinued.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....