• I don’t care

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first iPhone was a 3GS and I remember it was such a pain to do something as simple as transferring music and videos to it, so once I bought my first Android phone I never went back to iPhone ever again.

With Android, I can drag and drop files, side load apk files, customize the UI to my liking, etc while with an iOS if I'd want those simple features I'd need to jailbreak it. :-/

I have a Samsung phone now and when it no longer receives security updates (by 2024/25) I'll be looking into installing Graphene OS or Lineage OS to keep using it securely. The phone is perfectly capable of lasting up to 10-15 years (if it works as intended).

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember my First Android phone, but I did have one. I have since always had an Android phone and have Jailbroken them.

My first iPhone was a 4s,, and have Jailbroken that as well. But it was a battle doing so back then.

I have in my possession now, an obsolete iPad 3. Still having problems Jailbreaking it.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is vanilla android better than jailbroken iPhone
This. Android gives you a TON more freedom fresh out of the box, where-as Apple is locked-down tight. If I want to swap-out OS-level components, like compile my own overclocked kernel... I can on Android. But not with Apple. Apple is like, the basic-bitch phone for people with no personality who hate customizing things and have no individual tastes. And I'll never understand the appeal of iMessage, it looks fugly as shit, and very stripped-down compared to even Facebook Messenger. Even the sounds of messages are annoying. Not to mention everyone and their mom's dog sets the same fucking default ringtone. I always set a good song for mine. (no third-party apps needed for that either.)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
In regards to phones, I have used both Android and iOS and have flipped between them over the years.

Overall, I think they both have their pros and cons depending on the user and what they want from a phone.

Main reason I ended up switching from iPhone was because I liked the Note 20 Ultra's feature set e.g. mSD card slot (512GB for £50) and better Windows support via the Phone Link app, including app streaming. Besides these two issues however, I was rather comfortable with the iPhone and somethings such as making a local backup I still think are better on iOS.

One thing I will say about Android is that if you do look into things like root and custom ROMs, I'd be weary if you need an app which doesn't like root because it becomes a cat and mouse game and also be careful of which phone models you buy e.g. official Lineage OS support. I'm not expecting much if any support for my Exynos Note 20 Ultra outside of debloated ROMs.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Android gives you a TON more freedom fresh out of the box, where-as Apple is locked-down tight. If I want to swap-out OS-level components, like compile my own overclocked kernel... I can on Android. But not with Apple. Apple is like, the basic-bitch phone for people with no personality who hate customizing things and have no individual tastes. And I'll never understand the appeal of iMessage, it looks fugly as shit, and very stripped-down compared to even Facebook Messenger. Even the sounds of messages are annoying. Not to mention everyone and their mom's dog sets the same fucking default ringtone. I always set a good song for mine. (no third-party apps needed for that either.)
Right on.

I see people opting for the 'basic' iPhone, what's it called.. iPhone SE which to be fair is a pretty good decent phone for those who don't want to do anything beyond what Apple allows them.

However, an Android with the same price range or even less could offer the same experience or even better (if they'd want to side-load apps or customize it to their liking),

If Elon Musk is serious about making his own phone brand and using an Android fork, that would be awesome because I'm tired of changing phones merely due to getting security updates than what specs the phone has.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really jailbreak my iPhone as there are many flaws when it comes to doing so, with Android you've got more control over things and that there aren't many tougher restrictions as to what Apple devices have since the OS is open-source.

Reactions: AncientBoi

twothree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched to Android last week, I am still deciding on a Custom Rom. iOS is a lot more customizable than in the past. I know a lot of Android users that switched over to iOS over the years. Now you can setup widgets, download media files, to name a few things. I personally want to use Android for more advanced things but iOS met my needs as a computer nerd. I did use to jailbreak but I only truly iOS for the simplicity and FaceTime/iMessage. The only thing I care about now is YouTube with no ads and background audio play. You can now sideload modified apps without jailbreaking which is pretty cool. I also had a bunch of cool jailbreak tweaks like a builtin translator for apps like WhatsApp which is still very useful for me. I'll have to find an alternative for this on Android but iOS jailbroken had a few options but unjailbroken nothing.

As for iMessage/FaceTime its encrypted by default but I doubt majority of iOS users care. FaceTime Audio at one point was how I survived because my campus had horrible cellphone service. Sure you can just use WhatsApp on Android but not everyone uses it. iMessage is enabled by default. Due to the simplicity of iOS I typically recommend it to people especially older folk.

Right on.

I see people opting for the 'basic' iPhone, what's it called.. iPhone SE which to be fair is a pretty good decent phone for those who don't want to do anything beyond what Apple allows them.

However, an Android with the same price range or even less could offer the same experience or even better (if they'd want to side-load apps or customize it to their liking),

If Elon Musk is serious about making his own phone brand and using an Android fork, that would be awesome because I'm tired of changing phones merely due to getting security updates than what specs the phone has.
The SE is my favorite iPhone. I love Touch ID and don't want to give it up. I carry 2 phones so I prefer to have a smaller phone now to fit in my pocket. The SE is the perfect size. This Pixel 5 I have is a tad bit too big but I'll survive. I used to use an iPhone 8+

Last edited by twothree,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I use an iPhone for my daily driver since I need a locked down and reliable phone. I do have several android phones and even handheld emulation devices since I do enjoy messing with Android

Reactions: Kioku

twothree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use an iPhone for my daily driver since I need a locked down and reliable phone. I do have several android phones and even handheld emulation devices since I do enjoy messing with Android
I just setup my Pixel today. I'm really excited. The only complaint I really have is the phone size. My iPhone SE is perfect for 1 hand. I'll try to use the Pixel as my daily driver but I'll carry around my iPhone just in case. I already see people having issues with SafetyNet and apps detecting Custom Roms/Root.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Man, I remember when Android was more open to the community customizing a phone to their liking and allowing unlocked bootloaders! After owning an Android phone for the past 10 years, I’m kind of sick of not being able to do what I want with it. Samsung gave American consumers a giant middle finger. Google allows you to unlock your device, if you buy direct from them. Then you have to have workarounds to use certain services or “hide” your root. Android is no longer the glorious free world it once was, unless you import your phones. Picked up an iPhone and I’m not missing too much from team green… unfortunately….

Except for sideloading and easier customizations. Even then, it was just custom ring/notification tones.

• Sad
Reactions: krakenx

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
can you NOT advertice a dicord for five minutes?
That’s part of my signature, my guy. I am building a community for my content, thus I am going to promote my server and other stuff

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Kioku

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows Phone all the way.

1672960044134.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34&pp=ygUYZmFsbCBvdXQgYm95IGRhbmNlIGRhbmNl