retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
the whole point of the blog was that it's nothing to get butthurt over is you hear someone call an anime a cartoon... it doesn't take away from the effect of the story or the quality of the artistry. it doesn't belittle the otaku. it is what it is.
Actually it's one of my pet peeves. The reason for this is because it oozes ignorance, and I absolutely hate ignorance. People don't stop to take a look and see that they differ and can be the same in certain cases but aren't most of the time. People don't stop to see a difference, they think "it's animated, so it must be a cartoon", that is not true.

only because you have it set in your mind what a "cartoon" is and limit it only to your belief. I've not made a single negative remark towards anyone and now I'm ignorant? I've never belittled anime, said anything negative about it. In fact, I enjoy much of it. What I did do was I stated that it is a cartoon, that there is a whole culture of people who are so serious about this form of cartoon that if you even hint that it is in fact a cartoon they assume you are calling them childish in enjoying it. That was not the case. You appear to have taken this personally and have resorted to suggesting that anyone who thinks differently from you is ignorant...

This blog was about people who throw temper tantrums when you refer to anime as cartoons... Anyone who gets that bent out of shape over it really needs to get out of the house...

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I took 2 years of Journalism at Elementary and a further 4 at High School. There we were taught that the basic general [modern] meaning of "Cartoon" [the hand-drawn, non-animated illustration] is a "caricature, parody or satirical illustration" which usually accompanies the main Editorial column. It's distinct from comic strips, [and larger comics] and all the other plethora of visual art.

I've already had my say about the animated versions. Technically, this is how I see it shaking out.

• Visual Art
      • Illustrated
        • cartoons
        • comics [again, I separate them because there's a little friction in grouping either one to be a sub-set of the other based on specific meanings differing in language]
        • manga [see "comics"]
        • etc
      • Animation
        • Traditional Animation [hand-drawn/illustrated]
          • anime [see "comics"]
          • cartoons [see "comics"]
          • etc

But that's just me.

PS
And yes, I do get pissed when people call anime "cartoons". I once almost got into an argument with my mother over that.

PPS
Now that I listed that, it struck me that anime and cartoons [the animated version] aren't visual art. At least not purely - they're audio-visual. And in that case, one can make a clear case that cartoon [the illustrated version] cannot be used to classify either anime or cartoons [the animated ones] simply because they use different mediums.

If you look at it that way, then we can say that anime isn't a cartoon [illustrated] nor are cartoons [animated].

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
the whole point of the blog was that it's nothing to get butthurt over is you hear someone call an anime a cartoon... it doesn't take away from the effect of the story or the quality of the artistry. it doesn't belittle the otaku. it is what it is.
Actually it's one of my pet peeves. The reason for this is because it oozes ignorance, and I absolutely hate ignorance. People don't stop to take a look and see that they differ and can be the same in certain cases but aren't most of the time. People don't stop to see a difference, they think "it's animated, so it must be a cartoon", that is not true.

only because you have it set in your mind what a "cartoon" is and limit it only to your belief. I've not made a single negative remark towards anyone and now I'm ignorant? I've never belittled anime, said anything negative about it. In fact, I enjoy much of it. What I did do was I stated that it is a cartoon, that there is a whole culture of people who are so serious about this form of cartoon that if you even hint that it is in fact a cartoon they assume you are calling them childish in enjoying it. That was not the case. You appear to have taken this personally and have resorted to suggesting that anyone who thinks differently from you is ignorant...

This blog was about people who throw temper tantrums when you refer to anime as cartoons... Anyone who gets that bent out of shape over it really needs to get out of the house...
Actually I never said you were ignorant.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Shinigami357 said:
PS
And yes, I do get pissed when people call anime "cartoons". I once almost got into an argument with my mother over that.
but animu is cartoon tho
E1cDy.jpg

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:

The underlined statement struck me as very odd. Now, I never called you ignorant, however you seem to make it seem like I did. Moreover, I find it rather odd that you say I implied that you meant it as a negative connotation, I wasn't. Moreso, you say that I don't like it when people call anime "cartoons " because I consider cartoons childish, and therefore consider it an insult for an anime to be called one, but I clearly just explained the reason saying this:
The reason for this is because it oozes ignorance, and I absolutely hate ignorance. People don't stop to take a look and see that they differ and can be the same in certain cases but aren't most of the time. People don't stop to see a difference, they think "it's animated, so it must be a cartoon", that is not true.
giving no hint that I think they are childish, mainly because I don't as Avatar: The Last Airbender is a serious yet at times comical cartoon that I very much appreciate and admire. So this begs the question: are you actually reading what I'm saying, are you just interpreting them incorrectly, or are you just twisting my words?

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason this argument even exists is because the western world, or rather the fans of the subject matter, have perverted the word "anime" with their own definition.

Fans will defend their definition of the word and think others are ignorant.
Meanwhile other people are using it correctly based on the original definition from Japan.

I find it kind of funny.

Hey, remember when the word "flame" meant fire?
Or later on when it mean to insult someone typically online?
Or now when it means absolutely nothing because people have completely perverted the word's definition into oblivion?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
The only reason this argument even exists is because the western world, or rather the fans of the subject matter, have perverted the word "anime" with their own definition.

Fans will defend their definition of the word and think others are ignorant.
Meanwhile other people are using it correctly based on the original definition from Japan.

I find it kind of funny.

Hey, remember when the word "flame" meant fire?
Or later on when it mean to insult someone typically online?
Or now when it means absolutely nothing because people have completely perverted the word's definition into oblivion?

Translation:

Don't B dissin mah G Money Diggle fo Shizzle cuz if ya gots beef its cuz you ain't rollin the same tune as da BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MUTHA that yo heart be pumpin' in da world cuz we all got differnet hearts, yo.

Oh words. You are crazy.

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Now, I never called you ignorant, however you seem to make it seem like I did.

since this thread is nothing more than a discussion of semantics, I suppose we can continue to play with them...

regardless of what you are trying to portray...when someone makes a statement, and you respond by saying "that statement oozes ignorance", you are implying that the person who made that statement is ignorant. who makes ignorant statements? ignorant people do. that is not me "mis-interpreting" your response. that is you making an ignorant statement yourself and following it up with the passive-aggressive defense of "you seem to make it seem like I did."

@Shinigami357
working in different mediums lends to different definitions. in the New Yorker, a cartoon is certainly a satirical image. when i said that anime are cartoons in the OP I was speaking of the typical definition among Americans, being "those things that are on television Saturday morning" or "you know, like Titan A.E. or FFVII: Advent Children or Beauty and the Beast..."

As has been pointed out previously, ultimately the definition comes down to cultural differences. For those Americans here...in Michigan, we call soft drinks "pop". I went down to Missouri a while back, everyone down there called soft drinks "coke" (all soft drinks...even Pepsi...). On the way back in Indiana, the guy in the gas station calls it "soda". Who is right? Did I get bent out of shape when I was down in Missouri and tell people "seriously, it's not a "coke", it's a Pepsi!!!"? No, because I don't give a shit what people call it. And it's pretty silly for someone's pet-peeve to be people referring to anime as cartoons...as was stated in the OP. That kind of seems like a personality defect to me*

*does that statement ooze of ignorance too?

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In the end, we'd all end up where we started - personal definitions. Obviously you're American, you have a different POV. I'm from South-East Asia [where anime is revered, btw], so I have a different POV. We really shouldn't be arguing over it. It's a small matter of subtle differences, let's not get caught up in it.

Who's with me?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:

since this thread is nothing more than a discussion of semantics, I suppose we can continue to play with them...

regardless of what you are trying to portray...when someone makes a statement, and you respond by saying "that statement oozes ignorance", you are implying that the person who made that statement is ignorant. who makes ignorant statements? ignorant people do. that is not me "mis-interpreting" your response. that is you making an ignorant statement yourself and following it up with the passive-aggressive defense of "you seem to make it seem like I did."
Yes, but that was a general statement, not one stated by you.

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:

huh?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
In the end, we'd all end up where we started - personal definitions. Obviously you're American, you have a different POV. I'm from South-East Asia [where anime is revered, btw], so I have a different POV. We really shouldn't be arguing over it. It's a small matter of subtle differences, let's not get caught up in it.

Who's with me?

grog.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It depends.
From a Japan perspective, like _Chaz_ said, all cartoons are anime but not all anime is cartoons.
From a rest of the world perspective, anime are Japanese cartoons.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Animation is animation, plain and simple. There is no distinction between anime and other animation, they are both cartoons. People react to the word "cartoon" as if it were a dirty slur, which is ridiculous. It isn't, it is just a frank generalization.

Also, I'm tired of people saying that there are elements that are inherent to either style of animation, like western cartoons don't have continuity, or that eastern cartoons are automatically more cerebral or anything like that. Continuity, intelligence, humor, etc. are not exclusive to certain cultures.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the only thing I ask is why would people care more about what anime is called then they would the actual show?

Call anime cartoons if you want, I see nothing wrong with it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
machomuu said:

huh?
I was referring to the general statement of people calling anime "cartoons" because they are animation. You clearly at least have a just and rather believable argument that clears any signs of ignorance from being present.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always thought:

Anime= "cartoons" made by the Japanese
manga= "comics/graphic novels" made the the Japanese

However, I dislike putting them together with either category. At my bookstore, there is a section for graphic novels, and there is one for manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
    Veho @ Veho: Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint...