Another System Update?? Surely not...

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I booted back to menu from playing a game and noticed the red cross next to download manager.... Wtf is this???

16464381705381970895919.jpg

And yes this is 4 March... 2022!!

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The most recent but that's a good point. I'll hold it off till i know for sure.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
The most recent but that's a good point. I'll hold it off till i know for sure.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.
5.5.5 is apparently the latest if your below this the update is quite oldish now and also safe to update if you CBHC or anything as I have that FW and I'm Coldbooted

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I booted back to menu from playing a game and noticed the red cross next to download manager.... Wtf is this???

View attachment 300430

And yes this is 4 March... 2022!!
Are you using Tiramisu by any chance. The WiiU randomly checks for updates Tiramisu blocks the system from updating so as the WiiU can't do the check it throws you the red X.

It doesn't mean there is a new update it simply means the WiiU can't check if there is an update in the first place.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Na, I'm still on cbhc. DNS blocking has never seemed to work as I got the 5.5.5 one through last time so it did have me a wee bit worried!

Upon exiting back to menu it froze so i hard booted by removing the cable but its gone now... Although my wifi is off now. I'll check it the morning!

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Na, I'm still on cbhc. DNS blocking has never seemed to work as I got the 5.5.5 one through last time so it did have me a wee bit worried!

Upon exiting back to menu it froze so i hard booted by removing the cable but its gone now... Although my wifi is off now. I'll check it the morning!
Cbhc does the exact same thing as Tiramisu and gives that error for the same reason the system checked if there was a new update but as the check was blocked it gave you the red x. Removing the cable cleared the update check but the system will in the near future check again for an update.

Side note Nintendo have pretty much always brought out new system updates on a Tuesday. I can't recall them ever doing one on a Friday so I'm pretty confident in what is happening to you is just a failed update check lol.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dns blocking is not ideal, because it blocks the eshop as well as downloading game updates. Better to delete the update folder. I think there's an app that can do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Tiramisu also blocks updates so it's not needed. I don't know if it's Tiramisu, but nintendont on my system says the firmware is 255.255.255.

OldWiiGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Tiramisu also blocks updates so it's not needed. I don't know if it's Tiramisu, but nintendont on my system says the firmware is 255.255.255.

If you are autobooting Tiramisu that is the case. If you are not autobooting Tiramisu it is still recommended to delete the update folder as per the guide: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/tiramisu/installing-payloadloader.

Just wondering if anyone knows why I sometimes lose Autobooting i.e. I have to set tiramisu back to the default. It seems to happen when I am playing around in the settings, possibly when I was turning quick start off and on. Any ideas?

I am wondering if I should delete the update folder since Autoboot doesn't seem to be permanent for me - I have lost it twice.

Deleted member 585564

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to delete the update folder, as far as I'm concerned. Even if there are ever any new updates, they aren't important. Just block them forever that way and you're set. and if an update ever happens that -is- important then just restore the folder and that's it.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
There's no new update beyond 5.5.5 whatever firmware version he is on must be before 5.5.5 and with them closing Wii U store and 3DS store they possibly could be an update to just remove the store entirely so if an update does release don't be surprised

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
That's bullshit.

That means that your dns blocker works. Or the method you use to block system updates.
What's bullshit that there closing Wii U store and 3DS store down not sure when its happening but it's happening and been announced

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and with them closing Wii U store and 3DS store they possibly could be an update to just remove the store entirely
Re-downloads of previously bought software will still work, they won't be removing the eShop from existence. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they had to release a system update just to add an error message or something, like when Miiverse was closing.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
What's bullshit that there closing Wii U store and 3DS store down not sure when its happening but it's happening and been announced

That the eshop is closing is true. But that has nothing to do with the red cross from OP's download manager. THAT in relation is bullshit. Sorry, I misspelled my words a bit wrong.

Reactions: jeannotte

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've rechecked it today and all seems well. Red cross is gone, no new downloads available so it must have been an opportune moment to catch it in a check process or something.

Sorry to have caused a caffuffle! Can probably close this then.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've rechecked it today and all seems well. Red cross is gone, no new downloads available so it must have been an opportune moment to catch it in a check process or something.

Sorry to have caused a caffuffle! Can probably close this then.
Nice to see I'm not the only one who likes to use the awesome word that is caffuffle :rofl:

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
That the eshop is closing is true. But that has nothing to do with the red cross from OP's download manager. THAT in relation is bullshit. Sorry, I misspelled my words a bit wrong.
The red cross is pretty normal oddly if there is an update it will most likely eventually download even if system is spoofed happened to me red cross with error then eventually it updated my Wii U and was spoofed and running CBHC but it worked fine had to just shut down and boot back up if remember correctly then my Coldboot kicked back in

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@AmandaRose.... I use that all the time with my kids as my wee Gran said it to me all the time lol

Back to the Wii U, I do think there will be an end of life update but i did think its waaaaay too soon for that!

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1