Another Wii Update

jamesjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
maybe asked already or maybe i should know already:
Is it on the US-update or also on the EU update? (so all updates over the world?)

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I'm not sure if this link has been posted yet, but it should explain everything to those trying to make sense of it all.

The update, while safe for now will break the exploit used by Trucha and Freeloader eventually since the code is in the update and prepared for when there is a change/update ready to be activated in the system menu.

If I was to hazard a guess, this 'activation' of the update menu change will happen in one of 2 circumstances.

a) When WiiWare goes live soon, we will all most likely need extra menu functions to accomodate for this new facility, and new channels to be added for independent games

b) Mario Kart Wii...It's said that there will be a specific channel added to the Wii Menu on release which is to share data with online friends, such as progress, times, and ghost data.

But, anything can happen from here on out. The reality is that the code exists within the new update, it's just not necessarily activated yet, because there is no software needed for it yet. The other way to think of it is as a 'timed update' e.g, regionalised/staggered update for region specific software releases, as highlighted in points a) and b) above.

Here is the link: http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37 You can bet your bottom dollar that the exploit will be sealed soon, since the IOS37 is a proven discovery.

WB3000

OP
Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
This update was planned very well by Nintendo. They release a safe and harmless WiiWare update one day, which everybody hears about, and then they sneak another right after, which many will think is the WiiWare one. Thus everyone updates their IOS37 and thinks nothing of it unless they did the update that day. The system menu was left out, else they would have felt the need to tell users about it, since a system menu update mandates a version number increase. This would have been easily spotted, it's just luck that this one was discovered really.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it turns out that somehow my wii got set back a day behind and i downloaded the update thinking that it was the wiiware one, but i wonder how my wii got set back a whole day?

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
awdofgum: did you want to just download the Wii-ware update? Can you even do that? People are telling me not to update (I don't have the WiiWare one), because I will also download this new one then. So the update is proven. There is an update after the WiiWare one, right? And you musn't download this one? There are so many mixed messages floating around the web, right now. I just can't get a clear picture.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
WB3000 said:
This update was planned very well by Nintendo. They release a safe and harmless WiiWare update one day, which everybody hears about, and then they sneak another right after, which many will think is the WiiWare one. Thus everyone updates their IOS37 and thinks nothing of it unless they did the update that day. The system menu was left out, else they would have felt the need to tell users about it, since a system menu update mandates a version number increase. This would have been easily spotted, it's just luck that this one was discovered really.

It's pretty clever to be honest, since up til now, pretty much all the updates have been quite harmless, so no one has that expectation to have anything 'blocked' by Nintendo. They've never done anything intentionally to do that before to a 'pirate's detriment' but since the trucha exploit takes advantage of a pretty serious bug, it was the perfect excuse for Nintendo to sneak it in there to fix a valid security related system issue. Harmless for the regular user, but sucky for pirates! (and Datel!)

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bosscolor said:
I would like to do the wiiware update but not the IOS37 one, is it possible ?

Please answer this people! This is what I want to do! Just your legit Freeloader-user here.
smile.gif

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn.. But can someone explain this to me. Why is the update dangerous? It has a fix, but it isn't activated yet, or something? What's the harm, then?

Sors

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just for the record, i applied the Patch and testet it ith a Trucha signed game, and i got no problems.
More Information:
PAL Wii
Wiikey
Tested with a Trucha signed SSBB (US, used Trucha to patch Video mode and remove update)

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As people love to keep telling me, apparently the fix is there, but not active yet ... and no-one knows if and when it will be activated.

For now, I shall keep playing my legit import games, on my un-modded Wii, with my legit FreeLoader.

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thebobevil said:
As people love to keep telling me, apparently the fix is there, but not active yet ... and no-one knows if and when it will be activated.

For now, I shall keep playing my legit import games, on my un-modded Wii, with my legit FreeLoader.

I see, but did you update, or not?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Luke NL said:
thebobevil said:

Yes.

And it did nothing ... which is what everyone who updated will tell you ... then, they will tell you that it installed an update that is not yet active ... then, they will go on to tell you that when it does become active, FreeLoaders & Trucha-signed discs will no longer work.

And they tell you this like you are retarded for even doubting it, yet no-one really knows, because it is not active.

Which I find so very amusing, that people are happy to believe that this 'inactive update' will stop people playing their copies and imports, when there is no visible proof, when we are here, on the net, which is home to all the liars, fraudsters, con artists, scammers & fakers in the world.

Until my FreeLoader stops working, after the next time a new update is released, I won't believe that this so-called 'fix' does a damn thing.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My idea is that no matter what Nintendo does, there will be ways to solve the "new problems". Without a single doubt. I mean breaking protection schemes is like a sport to a lot of hackers.

I don't worry, but I won't update anything from this point without reading all the ins and outs.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my wii isn't modded, but i found it odd that my wii was set back a whole day, so my wii was shining blue again, you think nintendo did this so i can update my wii and then later on i realize that my wii was set back a whole day and the actual update was not the wiiware one?

lol nintendo wouldn't go that far.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
Luke NL said:
thebobevil said:

Yes.

And it did nothing ... which is what everyone who updated will tell you ... then, they will tell you that it installed an update that is not yet active ... then, they will go on to tell you that when it does become active, FreeLoaders & Trucha-signed discs will no longer work.

And they tell you this like you are retarded for even doubting it, yet no-one really knows, because it is not active.

Which I find so very amusing, that people are happy to believe that this 'inactive update' will stop people playing their copies and imports, when there is no visible proof, when we are here, on the net, which is home to all the liars, fraudsters, con artists, scammers & fakers in the world.

Until my FreeLoader stops working, after the next time a new update is released, I won't believe that this so-called 'fix' does a damn thing.

People seem to be getting this as their source, which is reliable: http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo