Homebrew Any Homebrew app that can load .3DS ROMs directly?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I can understand where they are coming from. I'm just also thinking about the possibilities of things that can be done with 3DS/CCIs which cannot be done with CIAs. Such as usage on other consoles without the need of having to extract the saves and transfer them over to another console. I'm thinking more of easier portability and it being as easy as ejecting the flash card and/or SD card out and putting it into another 3DS system without the hassle of having to extract the save and inject it into the other system.
If both systems modded just make both use the same movable.sed and you have a portable sdcard.

Any other benefits?

DavionBlackwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I join in supporting the idea. Like, sure CIA is nice but it's SO annoying to have to wait a lot of time everytime you wanna install a game due to Nintendo's shitty 1MB/s rate, so .3ds roms save you space, and definitely time, to just stick it in your SD and get playing quick.

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If both systems modded just make both use the same movable.sed and you have a portable sdcard.

Any other benefits?
Yeah, that's also another great idea that could be used in the future as well. ^^

Only thing is, you'd still need to change the movable.sed, which would be more time consuming than playing 3DS ROMs directly from the SD card, or having a freeCFW that can load any Gateway-based flash card. But still, it's a great idea nonetheless.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that's also another great idea that could be used in the future as well. ^^

Only thing is, you'd still need to change the movable.sed, which would be more time consuming than playing 3DS ROMs directly from the SD card, or having a freeCFW that can load any Gateway-based flash card. But still, it's a great idea nonetheless.

Similar to this https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-0-key-movable-sed-『no-more-cia-installation-』.433356/
Except you're taking the .sed from 1 system into another. You only need to change it once [unless you do want to decrypt/recrypt] - so timewise its == installing a [non-existant] .3ds loader

& there are a9lh gateway payloads to load the cart; but you mean a communtity/reverse-engineered version to utilise the cart in a non stock way

Last edited by HyperT,
Reactions: Platinum Lucario

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And now with the 11.3 update that was just released yesterday, gives us a constant reminder that we need an open-source flash card loader in which can be updated more often. And it could open up more possibilities, such as save files being loaded from the same flash card's microSD card as the ROMs themselves.

Since Gateway's CFW is closed source and isn't updated often, does actually tell us that we need an open-source alternative to it's flash card loader (possibly in the form of something added to NTR CFW or a different type of mini CFW software). As well as a 3DS/CCI loader that can load directly from a directory on the SD card.

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love someone implement .3ds loading and Gateway card menu in Luma. I mess around in Unity and it's much faster to pop the card out toss the .3ds on and test it without installing and just delete off the sd, it's like a way cheaper development flash card.

Also I have a lot of games I'm not gonna redownload and install from when I had a gateway not to mention I can't fit them all on my 3ds 64gb alone and not sure some are worth it but still like to have.

Here's a git hub and comment from someone who reversed the card init on Gateway, I'd love to ditch Gateway mode and not depend on there updates/software and play VC titles and use my R4/ without restarting into Luma

"I already RE'd the card init procedure so like... Nothing's stopping anyone from doing it. Could also RE Supercard's ReiNAND fork they never released code for, which is where I got a good portion of the implementation (a lot came from reversing Gateway's own implementation though)."

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/gwcard

Last edited by haazet,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CU81YUsUZFc&pp=ygUgTW9zdGx5IEkganVzdCBodXJ0IHBlb3BsZSBhbGllbnM%3D