Hacking Any hope for what seems to be a semi-bricked 3DS?

Arras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My sister updated her 3DS a few days ago and started getting random error popups and 30 second freezes when booting it. After a while, the freezing got worse to the point where it would just remain permanently frozen. I figured I'd try the usual thing and update the CFW, so I followed the guide. Now, I'm stuck with a 3DS that gives an ARM11 data abort exception in the menu process every time I try to boot, with and without SD card. I tried to do a CTRNAND transfer, but that just gave me a slightly different exception (probably because 9.2.0 is also slightly different). After updating it in safe mode, it's now back to giving the exact same error as before.

Arras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your best choice is probably a hardmod or waiting for ntrboothax to be released, I'd think
Well, the b9s stuff still works, so I can access godmode9 or anything else in .firm format, it's not like I can do absolutely nothing. It's "just" the home menu that's busted.

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm not sure if this will work or not, I found this (assuming it's only the home menu that is broken):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-edit-the-homemenu.424449/
Now, I don't know if it'll work, and it could brick you completely if done wrong, but it's an idea
Edit: if you decide to try this, make sure you back up your system first, as it will still be recoverable

Last edited by mrjc1238,

Arras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While I'm not sure if this will work or not, I found this (assuming it's only the home menu that is broken):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-edit-the-homemenu.424449/
Now, I don't know if it'll work, and it could brick you completely if done wrong, but it's an idea
Edit: if you decide to try this, make sure you back up your system first, as it will still be recoverable
I'd imagine the CTRNAND transfer already pretty much installs a clean version of the home menu? In any case, I don't think I can do that since it requires the ability to install CIAs, which requires FBI or similar, which needs to be launched through the home menu.

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine the CTRNAND transfer already pretty much installs a clean version of the home menu? In any case, I don't think I can do that since it requires the ability to install CIAs, which requires FBI or similar, which needs to be launched through the home menu.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm looking around right now but I'm not finding anything. Hopefully somebody else has some input?

Arras

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe try doing the CTR transfer with a new SD card. Perhaps the files were corrupted when you did it before.
I doubt it, honestly. I used chkdsk on the SD card to make sure it was OK, and there were no errors or anything. The CTRNAND file also transferred just fine - I'd imagine that if that file got corrupted somehow, there would either be some error during transfer or it would give me a different type of exception at least. And even then, afterwards I did a full system update, which should have overwritten most of those files anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i dont think the rectangular movement behavior works for platform games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it does. And you can add platform character behavior to your own charcter, and it will have move and jump already setup for you, space bar is jump, arrows move
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and already set up animations for when he shoots both standing and walking
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty you could
    add alcohol to the game too
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, one of the curative items has the internal name of "beer"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    although it looks like a coke can
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty what is the game based on
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    what was the inspiration
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, based on my ideas i'd say mega man games (probably mega man zero mainly)
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I had some ideas for megaman based game
    S @ salazarcosplay: I had some ideas for megaman based game