Any reliable sources for Dreamcast SD Card readers?

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last year I purchased a DC SD card reader but it had issues despite my efforts, I just tried to repair it myself but it was basically smothered in snot glue so I doubt I can fix it despite my efforts so far.

Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of readers which will deliver to the UK?

Note: This isn't for full DC games but mainly homebrew and backing up my VMUs e.g. Dreamshell

Thank you.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Last year I purchased a DC SD card reader but it had issues despite my efforts, I just tried to repair it myself but it was basically smothered in snot glue so I doubt I can fix it despite my efforts so far.

Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of readers which will deliver to the UK?

Note: This isn't for full DC games but mainly homebrew and backing up my VMUs e.g. Dreamshell

Thank you.

Hello.:)

Reliable...hmm...I am not sure today,but yes Aliexpress is ok.:D
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32721141284.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.54934c4dJb2jeX

I bought this February 2017 and it is still in one Piece.:yay:
...and working too.
Unfortunately I do not know,if it is still the same "Production".:sad:
The Seller "Eurbo - Professinal Supplier" is the Same as in 2017 so maybe it is reliable.:)

Thank you.:)

Reactions: tech3475

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I doubt you can find an actual reliable source for these things, pretty much everybody stocks up the cheaply made Chinese ones you always see and they can be very finicky.

I got one some months ago from Aliexpress,
It is like the blue one in this link:
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000185975326.html

It works fine (of course backup reading is spotty, not enough speed even if some games work well), but as you say, to back up games is very handy, with it you only need one VMU and you don't have to erase any save file.

I warn you though, the software in the CD that usually comes with these accessories is usually a version with a glitch when running on PAL machines, and the picture is positioned way too low and the lower part of the screen is cut off. You can, and should burn a disc of your own with another version (the previous one is fine, and it won't affect what you can do with Dreamshell as the files for it will be on the SD card and not read from the disc).

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt you can find an actual reliable source for these things, pretty much everybody stocks up the cheaply made Chinese ones you always see and they can be very finicky.

I got one some months ago from Aliexpress,
It is like the blue one in this link:
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000185975326.html

It works fine (of course backup reading is spotty, not enough speed even if some games work well), but as you say, to back up games is very handy, with it you only need one VMU and you don't have to erase any save file.

I warn you though, the software in the CD that usually comes with these accessories is usually a version with a glitch when running on PAL machines, and the picture is positioned way too low and the lower part of the screen is cut off. You can, and should burn a disc of your own with another version (the previous one is fine, and it won't affect what you can do with Dreamshell as the files for it will be on the SD card and not read from the disc).

Does it work with newer versions of Dreamshell?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I honestly do not know which is the lastest version. The latest one listed on the website is 4.0.0 RC 4, but there may be something newer out there.

In any case, the version of Dreamshell is one thing, and the version of the applications you run once Dreamshell is booted up is a different thing. I know there are newer versions of the ISO Loader, but I haven't been able to get any because either links are dead or they're blocked through membership on forums and such.

But as I said, you can load more modern apps on an older Dreamshell version. I mentioned that 4.0.0 RC 4 has a bug on PAL systems and shows a badly positioned screen, but using RC 3 works well. RC 3 didn't have the VMU Backup / Restorer app. That may sound disappointing, but by grabbing the necessary files from RC 4 and putting them on the SD card, you can use it launching RC 3.

I do not know the best set up for this accessory, I messed around with it a bit a few months ago, but I got busy and haven't touched it again.

Reactions: tech3475

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ