Anybody like Guided by Voices?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They sound pretty good...maybe a little too melodic for my taste, but not bad at all....
In the beginning of the video, the singer reminded me of Johnny Rotten/Lydon of Sex Pistols..

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of their stuff I love, I can't say I've loved whole albums but I've not hated them either. One of those bands who you can easily fill two CD's up with great songs.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
They sound pretty good...maybe a little too melodic for my taste, but not bad at all....
In the beginning of the video, the singer reminded me of Johnny Rotten/Lydon of Sex Pistols..

He most likely reminded you of John Lydon because he was wasted. They are one of the best live bands and they play for about three hours until they pas out from drinking. I saw them once and they had a whole shopping cart filled with beer and liquor, they kept playing until most of them were passed out on the stage. His live show antics are great though, hw manages to do these kicks that shoudl be cheesy but somehow he makes them look cool.

I mean, who can argue with that? They get blasted during every show but still manage to kick ass for three or four hours. It sounds like it would get old after awhile but strangely it doesn't, it just becomes a blur.

QUOTE(Gaydrian @ Aug 30 2008, 05:23 AM) Some of their stuff I love, I can't say I've loved whole albums but I've not hated them either. One of those bands who you can easily fill two CD's up with great songs.

I agree some of their songs are total filler. A lot of their songs end up coming out as cohesive tracks but a lot of their early stuff you can tell it's just a bunch of guys in a basement getting drunk and recording on a 4 track. Those are my favorites though.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I must say I like the singer.....I'm really laughing here looking at this beginning of the song.....It's really funny how he missed the beat with the kick, he actually raised his leg one beat too early.....

Funny guy.....It must be real show too see them drink for three hours..
rofl2.gif

I was watching Real McKenzies live twice....Canadian band with Scotish roots!!! Man, those guys can drink! Their guitar player drank the whole bottle of Whiskey on his own during the gig, and he wasn't drunk at all....what a capacity....

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
Well, I must say I like the singer.....I'm really laughing here looking at this beginning of the song.....It's really funny how he missed the beat with the kick, he actually raised his leg one beat too early.....

Funny guy.....It must be real show too see them drink for three hours..
rofl2.gif

I was watching Real McKenzies live twice....Canadian band with Scotish roots!!! Man, those guys can drink! Their guitar player drank the whole bottle of Whiskey on his own during the gig, and he wasn't drunk at all....what a capacity....

Yeah, Bob Pollard's (the singer) kicks are truly something to behold, especially when he falls flat on his ass after doing one. Later in their career they started setting up a bar for them on stage. This all started in Chicago at a venue called the Empty Bottle after a show where he kept climbing behind the bar in between songs. The club owner didn't want to ban him from the venue because they were popular there, so he improvised and set up a bar for them and GBV made it a requirement for all of their future shows.

They also have a piss bucket on stage as well as one for if they need to puke. Another favorite thing of mine about the band; for some reason Bob Pollard sings most songs with an affected English accent. The funny thing is that he's not English, he's a hick from Dayton, Oh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9aRPpmidM