Hardware Anyone else not updating Switch firmware?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was in its early lifetime so if developers don't want to release their games on the Switch then it's because they believe it won't sell one way or another. EA, Capcom and Konami are releasing one game to see if sales are good if not.. that settles it.
Maybe.
I didnt get into the 360 hacking
until it was a few yrs old already. Went throught 4 of them RROD til i gave up.
But with the 360 i dont think alot of people hack them. Plus you had to open them and most people flip out when you gotta do that.

But i guess we have nothing to report at this time lol.....
Only time will tell how this plays out. I still believe ifbthe switch gets hack to soon it would just give game devs more reasons to not mke games for it.

baselhamad

"F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think that there's a way to run from the system update since the nintendo switch have a non-removable batteries like the nintendo 3ds, i think that nintendo will force you to update your system to have internet access like nintendo 3ds does and maybe it could happen but i'm pretty sure that this will happen

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing majority of people here never owned a Wii U to know how to deal with forced updates.

If you can access your router then you can block out whichever URLs send the updates, it's that simple.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that sounds like a bad idea, 3ds wasn't hacked until 4.5 and even now one under 2.1 and without browser can't be hacked.
firmware updates often introduce security holes menuhax came along in 9.0.0
you know what would suck more than not having fun playing your new console for a few years cause you refused to update waiting for a hack?
not being able to play your console cause you never updated and then missing the hack cause you never updated.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Maybe.
I didnt get into the 360 hacking
until it was a few yrs old already. Went throught 4 of them RROD til i gave up.
But with the 360 i dont think alot of people hack them. Plus you had to open them and most people flip out when you gotta do that.

But i guess we have nothing to report at this time lol.....
Only time will tell how this plays out. I still believe ifbthe switch gets hack to soon it would just give game devs more reasons to not mke games for it.
Looking at Nintendo's past with third party games, it's definitely not looking good and regardless of the bragging Nintendo has been doing about "more than 80 games in production" it doesn't really mean anything as what's on the list isn't anything that impressive.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Lol people are freaking out over updates on a console that's not even out for another month or so :rofl:
Not so much freaking out but rather an annoyance that there'll be a day one patch. I just hope it won't take a lifetime to update like the WiiU did.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lost interest in the console hacking scene now that the Raspberry Pi has released, along with the fact that strong PC's from yesterday can be found for nothing at thrift stores and used as PS2's Gamecubes, and the like. Besides, the Homebrew scene never grows to become much of anything except with a few exceptions, and piracy is only handy when you have no income or just want to test a game before you buy. As for the Switch, I actually have an interst in collecting cartridges again so I could careless about Piracy this time. If it comes I'll do it though, just so I can store all my carts away.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that sounds like a bad idea, 3ds wasn't hacked until 4.5 and even now one under 2.1 and without browser can't be hacked.
firmware updates often introduce security holes menuhax came along in 9.0.0
you know what would suck more than not having fun playing your new console for a few years cause you refused to update waiting for a hack?
not being able to play your console cause you never updated and then missing the hack cause you never updated.
So the 3DS didn't get hacked until it got a browser? And the Switch doesn't seem to have a browser? Interesting...

Theoretically it might be possible that the only way to ever jailbreak the Switch is by a glitchy indy that Nintendo pulls from the eShop the moment people start to be aware of the exploit. If you never buy games you might end up finding that you always miss the chance to get the game you need to jailbreak your Switch.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not so much freaking out but rather an annoyance that there'll be a day one patch. I just hope it won't take a lifetime to update like the WiiU did.
Hundreds of thousands of consoles hitting Nintendo servers within a few hours time span. Nintendo Servers. What could possibly go wrong?

Plan on a long nap.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think that there's a way to run from the system update since the nintendo switch have a non-removable batteries like the nintendo 3ds

Non-removable just means "not easy to access". They built this console with Phillips head screws, so we just need to wait for the dismantle vids to hit the web before we know how "non-removable" it really is.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Non-removable just means "not easy to access". They built this console with Phillips head screws, so we just need to wait for the dismantle vids to hit the web before we know how "non-removable" it really is.
Apple figured this out many years ago with the iPad. Glue.

baselhamad

"F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if you removed the battery from the Nintendo Switch, it will still force you to update, how does that happens? the answer is: because the Nintendo Switch will be like 3DS but more worse in forcing

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if you removed the battery from the Nintendo Switch, it will still force you to update, how does that happens? the answer is: because the Nintendo Switch will be like 3DS but more worse in forcing

I think he was referring to the fact we need to send the unit into Nintendo to replace the battery if it ever stops holding a charge. We still have no proof of how updates will be handled on the Switch though. 3DS doesn't update when the unit is turned off, and still prompts to begin update when a new version is available. Wii U would update automatically in sleep mode if you allowed it in the system settings, I imagine that's how the Switch will operate.

But in the end we have no idea past speculation, so there's no definitive answer yet.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just be keeping mine updated to the point that I have to and ignore non-necessary updates. Probably not an option if I stick heavy to the online games like splatoon, but eh. It'll hopefully be hackable after the Super new switch ultra comes out.

I think he was referring to the fact we need to send the unit into Nintendo to replace the battery if it ever stops holding a charge. We still have no proof of how updates will be handled on the Switch though. 3DS doesn't update when the unit is turned off, and still prompts to begin update when a new version is available. Wii U would update automatically in sleep mode if you allowed it in the system settings, I imagine that's how the Switch will operate.

But in the end we have no idea past speculation, so there's no definitive answer yet.
they say that, but as long as it's not soldered on or something, it should be replaceable. Just with a bit more "void warranty" kind of work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well +1