Hardware Anyone here considering upgrading their ps4 to the pro ?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
like the title says, are there any ps4 owners around who consider upgrading to the upcoming ps4 pro?

i am kind of tempted, a friend of mine already sold his ps4, to later on get the ps4 pro.

why is it worth an upgrade for ? will it have better performance and make most games run and look better on the ps4 pro..?

edit: considering you only have a 1080p LED TV, wondering if the ps4 pro would still make certain games look better, because i have no plans to buy a new set of 4k/hdr tv.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to wait it out.
I had ordered it on amazon but then cancelled it.
Moment of indecision....

They say that games could have more effects and higher frame rates on the 1080 system.
Vr also would have richer texture? and possible higher frame rates.

I've bought the VR unit and it's good fun but the picture just looks fuzzy to me.
Very low res looking.
So I'm in two minds on whether to upgrade or wait.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Performance enhancement, it has 5ghz ac wifi, if it means better performance, faster load times, better framerate, fast download, installs and better online functions over wifi, i will consider it. Personally i don't care about better graphics, i still got a 10 year old vizio hd monitor working so visuals won't impress me unless is special effects, i still find 2d pixel games impressive like shovel knight. I already made a thread bout buying a slim or pro, so if anyone can help by stating opinions... is in the trading forum.:unsure:

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Sony flagship product capable of 4K output without a 4K BluRay player? No thanks. I don't play many PS4 games, and for the ones that I do, they look/perform just fine for me. Purchasing another PS4 console is not something I am going to even contemplate right now. Sure, the graphics will be nicer and we can expect high resolution textures, just like the Xbox One has. But without future proofing myself in the BluRay field (No I do not own a 4K TV, but as I said, future proofing, to an extent) I just do not see the point unless you want a better VR experience.

Reactions: leonmagnus99
D

Deleted User

Upgrading to a pc is a better option since the standard ps4 will be able to still run all its future exclusives.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After investing in PSVR it only makes sense to sell my current PS4 and get the pro. It should make the experience a lot better in a number of ways as Sony likely designed them both to compliment each other (Morpheus & Neo).

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm considering upgrading my PS4 to no PS4 at all + cash, let alone pro.

Save for Street Fighter V and Tropico 5, I don't think there are any games that I care about on it that I can't get for the xbox one instead.

This generation became so obsessed with that 1080 60 fps and 4k that they forget about gameplay and depth.

And ironically they end up playing indie crap lol.

But the PS4 Pro could be worth it for someone who has a big expensive high end setup with huge 4k tv and wishes to play some AAA every now and then.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not as without a new TV I wouldn't notice a lot of the benefit. Not bothered about 4k bluray player as I buy games consoles to play games and have just splashed out on an xbox one slim!

May i ask how much better has wifi improved on it? the slim has 5ghz ac now, is it actually better in any way? :)

Honestly i'm in middle of deciding between the two, cheaper better wifi or more expensive wifi with more performance. I want my games to function as best as possible withou costing too much.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
May i ask how much better has wifi improved on it? the slim has 5ghz ac now, is it actually better in any way? :)

Honestly i'm in middle of deciding between the two, cheaper better wifi or more expensive wifi with more performance. I want my games to function as best as possible withou costing too much.
Well I can't compare to the original Xbox One as I've never owned one but PS4 has 2.4ghz wifi and I'd get about 8mb/s over wifi from PSN. The Xbox One Slim on 5ghz gives me 35-40mb/s over wifi so the difference there is instantly noticeable.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can't compare to the original Xbox One as I've never owned one but PS4 has 2.4ghz wifi and I'd get about 8mb/s over wifi from PSN. The Xbox One Slim on 5ghz gives me 35-40mb/s over wifi so the difference there is instantly noticeable.
That was one of the disappointing moments of ps4 is knowing it didnt have 5ghz ac, is basically the same as wii u situation, except wii u had no ethernet like ps4 so i think is even worst.

Indirectly these consoles should have just had the 5ghz wifi sooner. Just how much does the console makers think is necessary for functional stability in online functions? :glare:

Condarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm keeping my original PS4. The only appeal I see in the Pro is if I ever go 4K. By the time I do decide to upgrade to 4K, the Pro will be a lot cheaper. Until then, my original PS4 will suit me well.

Was thinking the same thing. There's nothing wrong with my PS4 so why on earth would I want to upgrade when I won't really be getting any too different, or a must have. Probably just wait for a few years and pick one up on the cheap, but by then the PS5 could be out or something else I might find interest in.

splinters

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a 4K Sony TV, just got VR so it makes sense and its a smidge over £200 if you trade in your PS4 at Shopto. Given that i am already deleting games due to lack of space, the 1TB is edging it for me too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [wakes up, gets a woodie I didn't want, runs up to K3Nv2 and has Cex with him]... +1