Hardware Are 3ds SD's/micro sd's interchangeable on hacked 3ds's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeg85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a XL old 3ds, hacked with FBI CIA etc. and I have a ton of games on it, This might be a dumb question but If i buy a new 3ds, for instance the "new 3ds" will I be able to stick that sd card into the hacked "new 3ds" and play my old games on it?

Reactions: MrMcTiller

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No, that's not how it works. ALL files in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder at the root of your SD card are encrypted with a system-unique key, moving the SD card to a different system will make them completely unreadable/unusable. You have to system transfer (for legit games) or reinstall (for pirated ones). CFW doesn't make the files unencrypted, it only gives you the ability to decrypt them (reason you need save managers for backing up saves for example).

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a savegame manager like Checkpoint to backup all your saves. System transfer will get all your legit games on your new 3DS, you'll have to manually reinstall any pirated games (not that you have any of those ;)). Then restore your saves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, I would highly recommend making sure your hax are up-to-date on the old 3DS first. Make sure you're using the latest versions of Boot9Strap and Luma, that way you don't have to worry if you need to run system update before you can system transfer. I'd recommend also setting up DSiWareHax beforehand, it may cost you the price of a cheap DSi game from the eShop but that way you won't need a flashcart to install hax on your new 3DS.

Meeg85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that's not how it works. ALL files in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder at the root of your SD card are encrypted with a system-unique key, moving the SD card to a different system will make them completely unreadable/unusable. You have to system transfer (for legit games) or reinstall (for pirated ones). CFW doesn't make the files unencrypted, it only gives you the ability to decrypt them (reason you need save managers for backing up saves for example).
exact answer i was looking for thanks

Use a savegame manager like Checkpoint to backup all your saves. System transfer will get all your legit games on your new 3DS, you'll have to manually reinstall any pirated games (not that you have any of those ;)). Then restore your saves.

Also, I would highly recommend making sure your hax are up-to-date on the old 3DS first. Make sure you're using the latest versions of Boot9Strap and Luma, that way you don't have to worry if you need to run system update before you can system transfer. I'd recommend also setting up DSiWareHax beforehand, it may cost you the price of a cheap DSi game from the eShop but that way you won't need a flashcart to install hax on your new 3DS.
ill look into that, cool

Rusb

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you can. dump the movable.sed of your 3DS and use it on your new console, the SD Card will work flawlessly

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can. dump the movable.sed of your 3DS and use it on your new console, the SD Card will work flawlessly
Doing that will cause a ban on online services. When doing a system transfer, movable.sed is registered on Nintendo's servers. If you manually move it, your console's movable.sed won't match what it should on Nintendo's servers, and it'll be banned. You're better off sticking with what I posted above.

Rusb

Trophies
XP
Country
Doing that will cause a ban on online services. When doing a system transfer, movable.sed is registered on Nintendo's servers. If you manually move it, your console's movable.sed won't match what it should on Nintendo's servers, and it'll be banned. You're better off sticking with what I posted above.
IDK where you found that information, but actually that can be false.

movable.sed is edited each time you format your 3DS, and since it can be done offline, it doesn't reach nintendo servers.

I'm not saying you are lying, I'm encouraging you to show me evidence of that

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you suggest dumping anything, then it's even better to do a SysNAND backup and inject that instead, as it will have all the tickets and everyting (so you don't need to inject them afterwards), regardless if it's of legit apps/games or not, carry over and even your NNID without preventing you from using the eshop (movable.sed alone will make eshop unusable in some cases). Also allows you to skip the stupid system transfer that takes forever and literally just swap SD cards, nothing more needed:P

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you suggest dumping anything, then it's even better to do a SysNAND backup and inject that instead, as it will have all the tickets and everyting (so you don't need to inject them afterwards), regardless if it's of legit apps/games or not, carry over and even your NNID without preventing you from using the eshop (movable.sed alone will make eshop unusable in some cases). Also allows you to skip the stupid system transfer that takes forever and literally just swap SD cards, nothing more needed:P

Isn't this exactly what the OP asked for? Wouldn't this essentially copy CFW or whatever else over too? What's the downside?

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the readme in gm9, you can dump ctrnand_full.bin and on the receiving system, select it and select "Transfer to NAND". so you could transfer tickets while not bricking. both systems need cfw though.

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes, except that if you inject the NAND backup, happy brick.
You can however MOUNT the SysNAND from the old system on the new one using GM9 and copy all folders that won't resort in a brick (basically the title data, stock app history, etc.), avoiding the brick while keeping everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o