Are "gaming" chairs just a con?

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From where I sit (on an office chair in this instance) then I will echo the general sentiments of above.

Most times I have ever encountered such a thing they take a middle of the road office chair design/OEM offering (but still perfectly adequate for office drones to spend 8 hours a day in and not have to have paid time off from a bad back), swap out the blue or black material for some garish colour, take a CNC sewing machine to stitch their advert (they will call it a logo) on the headrest (a rather less common but not entirely absent feature from office chairs) in some equally garish colour so people watching people playing games/reading off stories from someone else/explaining lore get some latent advertising and call it a day, maybe occasionally buying in the rights to put a picture of some cartoon character on it or bolting on a holder that is good for nothing but holding dust.

I have always advised either going to the office supplies company (there are firms that buy bankrupt company office furniture and sell it off cheap too that are even better) and getting one from there. That is what I have done for the last 20 or so years, my last chair being more than 10 years old at this point and while I am not fat (wide chair seems pointless to me) I still weigh enough to note and treat sitting down like an extreme sport (if I can jump in my chair and launch myself across the room on its wheels then great) and also do for any offices where people care about such things.

Ikea chairs. Actually yeah I have seen some good stuff in there. Not all of it is by any means and it comes with the usual provisos of ikea quality but if I had not got my last one then I would have got the ikea one I saw two months later (in the clearance section of course) as it was a nice mesh effort (quite the popular style at the time).

If you want to get a bit more radical then scrap yards for cars. Find a decent commuter car or something designed for long jaunts that is there for a nice enough reason and see if you can get a seat out of that to attach to a nice office chair base either from another chair or a supplier tree removal durham nc.
One absolutely massive note in doing such things. Be super aware of air bags in them if you are going to start messing with the electrics (and if you can have a heated/cooled massage seat in this then serious incentive to play) as even the probing of the wires with a simple multimeter can be enough to set them off leaving you and your room/garage covered in fine dust, assuming it was not right in your face, and ears quite possibly ringing as you were point blank for an explosion. Indeed if there is an automotive crash repair or dealership worth a damn around you then maybe have a chat with them (if it is a 20 minute job for them to remove the old airbags* then consider paying for it).

*if you are lucky they will also blow them up for you to see. Good times there and something to see if you have never seen it and they need to train the boy.
I'm looking for a pc gaming chair for my 15 year old, 6'2" 250 pound, son who typically spends at least 5 hours a day gaming on his pc. Unfortunately when I purchased his last chair I didn't realize that he was going to love gaming so much and purchased just a basic office chair for about $85 (I know, bad father). Now that I know better I'd like to purchase him something better than that and something that is actually geared toward gaming comfort. Is it possible to get that for under $200? If so, what are some of the best gaming chairs for under $200? If not, how much do you have to pay to get a quality gaming chair? I heard great things about the GTRacing GT099 but then started digging into more and more reviews and it seems like it may not be as great as I first thought. Therefore I decided to come here to the experts. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a pc gaming chair
First off, Damn!: "my 15 year old, 6'2" 250 pound". That's a Big "Kid".
Second: I'm no slim jim but I bought this earlier this year and love it. Definately sturdy and will hold up. Since you are in the USA, you can find these, and stores easy. I would still shop around, def read the reviews. Good luck and Merry Xmas.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 201503.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated