What's up with Sega's sudden come back?

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About some time ago Sega made a public announcement on Game Awards regarding the revival of many of their classic IPs, including games like Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, and Golden Axe. Days later it was leaked registration names for many other older IPs, like Alex Kidd and Kid Chameleon. This sudden wave of game revivals coincides with Sega's strange talks regarding Sonic Frontiers performance and the drive to make Sonic games even better. All Sonic Team devs allegedly received a 30% pay bonus after the release of Sonic Frontiers, and the studio is growing with new people being hired. Sonic Team's japanese office was also renovated recently, with the japanese Sega social media doings tours on the new office. And then the Sonic Symphony.

I think a lot of people in the gaming community are now aware of SegaSammy's business thank's to Moon Channel's video on the topic, and how they leverage Sega's game IPs (such as Sonic) as PR scapegoats, keeping their gambling business hidden from the public. The truth is, Sega is dead, and has been since Sammy acquired them around 2005. The game division of the company is a small fragment of SegaSammy. Over the years Sega lost many talented game devs and studios, either due to death, retirement, or they left to work somewhere else. The studios and devs Sega has left are mostly product of merges and purchases, such as Rovio (Angry Birds and mobile games), and Atlus (Persona). Yes I know Yakuza/Like a Dragon is very popular, but compared to other japanese game studios, Sega doesn't make a lot of money. Which makes me think it is so weird how out of nowhere Sega has been trying to revitalize their image, reviving older IPs, and possibly reestablish more internal game studios.

Sega of America & Europe recently welcomed their new CEO, Shuji Utsumi, someone who played a hand at the launch of the Dreamcast, and was a "major player" in the Sega Super Game project and one of the people behind the announcement of Sega revivals at the Game Awards. Now Sega has been in talks to reestablish their arcade market in Japan after closing their arcade centers years ago. I know Sega would never return to the console market, they don't have the resources for that anymore. But I still wonder, why? Because SegaSammy doesn't need that, they get a lot of money from pachinko. Is this all being made to just generate good PR for Sega? Is it just a smoke screen to cover something else (like SoA's Union busting efforts)?

I think SegaSammy might be preparing long term for some kind of shift in the market. What if the next big thing is Videogame Movies and Theme Parks? Increasing the appeal of Sega's IPs for movies and theme park. Nintendo has been doing that lately. Expanding from games to general entertainment.

Increasing the appeal and value of the Sega brand to make the company more valuable to anyone who wants to purchase it. Merges are the name of the game nowdays, with infinite growth being objetive of greedy CEOs, merging with other companies is a way to keep that façade of continuous growth. Of course, in the case of Sega, anyone willing to buy it would have to buy SegaSammy as well.

I heard Japan has been cracking on pachinko machines a lot harder lately, and SegaSammy's plan on getting the global market hooked on their gambling machines (with a test trial during the 2020 Olympics) didn't go so well.

Or, in a future where streaming and subscrition is the way to access videogames, Sega would like to have some of the most valuable game IPs. Microsoft has their Game Pass, Apple is in their first place with Apple Arcade, and now Netflix is entering the game market with Netflix Games. Apple has to have paid Sega a nice money to have Sega Hardlight to develop Sonic Dream Team, and now Netflix announced their own Sonic Mania mobile port.

That's a lot of rambling, but I would like to discuss this topic with someone else. I still find these moves by Sega all weird, considering SegaSammy's history of not caring much about games.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who knows what they want. Besides they need someone nowadays more like for instance Hayao Nakayama…etc.

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If they wanted to please their fans they'd port their arcade-only games to Consoles/PC. Such as...

God dammit, Sega.

Oh how much I'd love to have easy reliable access to Sega's backlog of arcade games on Steam. I dabbled with MAME, the Model 2 Emulator, and Supermodel, but I would pay for a good official product.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda lost fate in SEGA seeing that all they do with Sonic is just rehash stuff in the "new" games and make broken ports like no reason something like Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins to have so many bugs. They don't know how to polish their games and its like what 2024 and I feel like SEGA bringing back their old IPS is just a one and done thing.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda lost fate in SEGA seeing that all they do with Sonic is just rehash stuff in the "new" games and make broken ports like no reason something like Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins to have so many bugs. They don't know how to polish their games and its like what 2024 and I feel like SEGA bringing back their old IPS is just a one and done thing.
Sega remastered Daytona U.S.A. 2, but annoyingly you have to buy Like a Dragon in order to play it. Just wtf.

Reactions: JeepX87

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
TLDR for this? No, but seriously I suppose it is some kind of conspiracy then with the sudden comeback, like Luke keeps posting about.
:P

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
TLDR for this? No, but seriously I suppose it is some kind of conspiracy then with the sudden comeback, like Luke keeps posting about.
:P
Especially for instance on Sonic Retro Forum. Nowadays I would probably go to thee Bennington Triangle,Bermuda Triangle,Bridgewater Triangle,US Naval Shipyard and tell him about both Montauk Project and even Philadelphia Experiment/USS Eldridge(inside)by going back in time before I was banned right there. I probably fix little bit my own timeline. I guess it would be faster than doing Yoga/Reincarnation(awaiting)which might take 1000 years(definitely or maybe even it's over 9000 years or even eons).
I guess he's not even righ here in this very forum.
YSXozfG.png

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Especially for instance on Sonic Retro Forum. Nowadays I would probably go to thee Bennington Triangle,Bermuda Triangle,Bridgewater Triangle,US Naval Shipyard and tell him about both Montauk Project and even Philadelphia Experiment/USS Eldridge(inside)by going back in time before I was banned right there. I probably fix little bit my own timeline. I guess it would be faster than doing Yoga/Reincarnation(awaiting)which might take 1000 years(definitely or maybe even it's over 9000 years or even eons).
I guess he's not even righ here in this very forum.
YSXozfG.png
ITS OVER NINE THOUSANDD!!!

Over_9000%21.png

seriously you mentioned over 9000 in your word salad, bravo

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

What if both Sega and Nintendo both partnershipped wityh Phillips?
Also if it could be official probably both Tails and Sonic probably would have slightly little bit different(not too much)fur colors and eyes colors more modernized definitely not classicified.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega is far from dead, they have these devs called Atlus and Ryu Ga Gotuku Studios constantly pumping out good games. They each just released Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth respesctively and they are fantastic. IMO they put the best rpgs out far surpassing Square Enix.

As far as gaming being a small part of their total business that is true, but that does not mean they have nothing worthwhile in gaming.

AFAIK both Like a Dragon and Persona do pretty well, but if people aren't buying those games that's on the gamers not the devs. Missing out on great content. Not sure what Sega is supposed to do.

Now as far as Sonic that's a whole different topic I lost interest in Sonic games a long time ago.

I also applaud them for bringing back a game like Jet Set Radio that was not a big seller but excellent game. It seems like they are trying to appeal to the hardcore gamer more than any other dev to the detriment of their sales unfortunately, but I give them credit for that not blame.

Last edited by Jayinem,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sega is far from dead, they have these devs called Atlus and Ryu Ga Gotuku Studios constantly pumping out good games. They each just released Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth respesctively and they are fantastic. IMO they put the best rpgs out far surpassing Square Enix.

As far as gaming being a small part of their total business that is true, but that does not mean they have nothing worthwhile in gaming.

AFAIK both Like a Dragon and Persona do pretty well, but if people aren't buying those games that's on the gamers not the devs. Missing out on great content. Not sure what Sega is supposed to do.

Now as far as Sonic that's a whole different topic I lost interest in Sonic games a long time ago.

I also applaud them for bringing back a game like Jet Set Radio that was not a big seller but excellent game. It seems like they are trying to appeal to the hardcore gamer more than any other dev to the detriment of their sales unfortunately, but I give them credit for that not blame.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
They've somehow kept Sonic alive, but their other IPs are seeing clamoring from people who miss them. With Atlus doing fine on its own, and Sonic, PSO2, and Yakuza bringing in enough to keep the books balanced, it lets SEGA play around with some of its other franchises finally

Reactions: Xzi

ReceiveYou

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
That's a lot of rambling, but I would like to discuss this topic with someone else. I still find these moves by Sega all weird, considering SegaSammy's history of not caring much about games.

There is nothing weird about it, and tbh not much changes for Sega, they have been well off for years...sure they announced 5 games at once last year. But those will comes out over 2024/2025, and well...if you actually look Sega always released a bunch games every year anyways (even more if you include mobile and arcade)...nothing changes. Typically Sega announces games that year they come out. The VGA thing was just a different strategy that all the other companies are doing (announcing games years in advance)
Sammy bought Sega in 2003 because they actually cared about video games and its worldwide potential. Otherwise they would have not bought all those western companies like Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, or funded new IP such as Bayonetta etc. and so on.
Their internal studios are also far from just Yakuza. Their whole other half was arcade development which brought in a lot of money (their arcade soccer card game sold a billion trading cards as one example). All that arcade staff is getting relocated to console development for the reboots of JSR and Crazy Taxi. They will be live service games in the vein of PSO2, which made a billion dollars btw. I am personally surprised Sega has not tackled more live service games sooner.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega be like, let's put out a new 2D platformer Sonic game, on the same day as a new Mario 2D platformer, I'm sure it'll do fine!
Then when the obvious happened, they decided they needed to resurrect a bunch of old ips.

• Haha
Reactions: Kraken_X

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

It looked like Sony PlayStation One or even like Nintendo Game Cube. But I guess Sega Dreamcast looked more like original Microsoft Xbox for instance when someone look at it nowadays…etc.

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I can't look at bigger videos now (until you know who makes sure connection works) but it seems like mostly a clickbait? well whatever.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clickbait it sounds like someone from Sonic Retro Forum. That’s how you sound.

Anyway I guess this is what might happen if instead of Sega Mega Drive/Genesis hardware add-ons there could be at least Sega CD/Mega CD as actual console.

• Haha
Reactions: Kraken_X

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto