GCN Are low voices in gc games normal?

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,

I've been playing gamecube games on the wiiu through Nintendont and I've noticed that voices are very low/silent compared to the background sound/music. I've especially noticed it in Super Mario Sunshine and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. I question if it has to do with me playing it through Nintendont or if it's my tv's speakers?

I'd like to hear anyone's views/opinions on this and I could eventually post some recordings/if not just verify myself with dolphin.

Oh, I also noticed it in Over the Hedge while playing it on a different tv through both a wii and wiiu using Nintendont, but I thought it was just because it's a cheap licensed game that the sound seemed to be mixed so poorly. Often you couldn't hear the voices because the background music was louder. I guess I could doublecheck these games with my ps2 to see if the audio is any different.

Last edited by Zense,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It could be called by accidental noise cancellation (if one speaker has reversed polarity, stereo is downmixed to mono, or more complicated equivalents for 3+ audio channels) depending on how the way the voice is encoded (with regards to phase and left/right position)

Reactions: Zense

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It could be called by accidental noise cancellation (if one speaker has reversed polarity, stereo is downmixed to mono, or more complicated equivalents for 3+ audio channels) depending on how the way the voice is encoded (with regards to phase and left/right position)
I guess an easy way to check this is to connect headphones to the wii u gamepad and check how voices are.

Also my sony bravia tv is set to output in some virtual surround setup. I could try switching that.

I also thought this was just the way it was supposed to sound, but I feel like it doesn't make any sense when I consider the sound on earlier consoles like dreamcast and ps2, surely the gamecube must have better sound than the dreamcast?

I could try to run sound in Mario Sunshine in Mono instead of Stereo to see if anything changes.

Last edited by Zense,

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just tested Mario Sunshine and Baldur's Gate while using the wii u gamepad with earbud earphones and the voices are clearly distinct and the sound is a lot better, so essentially it means my tv speakers suck, but maybe I need to turn off that surround setting. I'll test it when it's daytime tomorrow and hopefully it means I'll get a bit better sound from the tv than this. I eventually plan on getting proper stereo and front speakers for my setup in the near future, though.

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer