Hacking Are my old Gateway 3DS cards (red/blue) still useful for playing .3DS and .NDS ROMs?

D

Deleted-236924

Oh right. They ought to mention that. Did anything come out since then? ;)

Of note is Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Yo-Kai Watch 3, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, and Persona Q2.

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a bit of a scare just now. I took out the Gateway cart while a game was running off it (I'd got used to CIAs) and the 3DS landed in SysNAND. Everything's fine though.

Also interesting is that the corrupted SD card which I've erased and formatted a dozen times in Windows actually still works fine in Gateway. Is there some way I can get the ROMs off that SD card while it's in the Gateway cart?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was thinking that if 11.2 SysNAND is easily exploitable and no games demand anything above 11.6, then SysNAND franken firmware based on 11.2 with bits of 11.6 has the advantages of being exploitable (just in case BS9 is ever wiped) and of being able to run all games. I understand that Nintendo might require something like 11.12 to get online, but I'm not that interested in online play on the 3DS. Is there any reason not to run 11.2 with bits of 11.6 on SysNAND? It's not a high priority, it just seems smarter than running 11.12.
Latest firmware is exploitable with homebrew anyway. Gateway actually can't run on 11.2 sysNAND unless you use A9LH/B9S (or Gateway Fast Boot but no one should use that)

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not talking to you AH.

Go cry Gatehate Nazi. You coming to a thread that's about how to get something to work and your solution is Ditch it. You are not helping. You are not wanted. Your opinion is not valid. And we don't care. Now go away Adolf

OP. Move everything to the system and put your old crappy games that you rarely play or something you might want to look for cheats for on Gateway. You really don't need Gateway it's just for extra storage. Your insistence to use it as a daily driver is ridiculous. It's inferior in every way and it's dangerous to.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
Your opinion is not valid. And we don't care.
why reply if you dont care? Last time i check, theres no rules on the OP that gateway haters is not allowed to comment. If you dont REALLY care, just ignore my reply... How poor you are, you dont care, but you keep on replying.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
why reply if you dont care? Last time i check, theres no rules on the OP that gateway haters is not allowed to comment. If you dont REALLY care, just ignore my reply... How poor you are, you dont care, but you keep on replying.

Only reason people became anti gateway was due to their brick in 2.0b2, before arm9loaderhax and sighax aswell as ntrboot, so it was difficult to restore this at the time and how gateway handled it, hopefully you backed up the nand and hardmodded the console, it is understandable but before cfw everybody was using gateway in a circle jerk and gateway WAS the luma of it's day and pretty much was the start of the 3ds scene...until 2.0b2, but they did last until 11.2 officially

You sound like the ones using mt-card or the r4i 3ds clones and bluescreened

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only reason people became anti gateway was due to their brick in 2.0b2, before arm9loaderhax and sighax aswell as ntrboot, so it was difficult to restore this at the time and how gateway handled it, hopefully you backed up the nand and hardmodded the console, it is understandable but before cfw everybody was using gateway in a circle jerk and gateway WAS the luma of it's day and pretty much was the start of the 3ds scene...until 2.0b2, but they did last until 11.2 officially
Its not that they lasted till 11.2. They just gave up at that point. And abandoned their product. It looks bad that they done that aswell as released a stargate product with no updates or anything whatsoever. Its been nothing but a scam of a money grab.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not that they lasted till 11.2. They just gave up at that point. And abandoned their product. It looks bad that they done that aswell as released a stargate product with no updates or anything whatsoever. Its been nothing but a scam of a money grab.

True they abandoned gateway, IMHO Stargate failed simply by being too late to the market, and gateways previous reputation, if stargate came out alongside or shortly before sky3ds I think it would have sold better to have more support

Slot-1 is dead for 3ds atm, which sucks since there could have been more done, maybe natrium42 should make a 3DSerial card, hell throw an fpga and some ram and have a dsp or coprocessor that can be utilized via cfw and Homebrew (can result with better emulators and could help with ps1 emulation) , not every slot-1 card has to be a flashcard or explicitly used for rom loading atleast in the original ds days, there are so many different original nds "Homebrew"cards it'll make your head spin

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True they abandoned gateway, IMHO Stargate failed simply by being too late to the market, and gateways previous reputation, if stargate came out alongside or shortly before sky3ds I think it would have sold better to have more support

Slot-1 is dead for 3ds atm, which sucks since there could have been more done, maybe natrium42 should make a 3DSerial card, hell throw an fpga and some ram and have a dsp or coprocessor that can be utilized via cfw and Homebrew, not every slot-1 card has to be a flashcard or explicitly used for rom loading atleast on the original ds days, there are so many different original nds "Homebrew"cards it'll make your head spin
Had stargate actually done pushed some updates for their product it would not be one that looks so bad. It just was released more like a last ditch over priced cash grab. Which looks bad for any company.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
More off topic crap. Nobody cares about politics.
Last time i check, you do care. If im crap, youre a crap too. You replied to me twice right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You sound like the ones using mt-card or the r4i 3ds clones and bluescreened
I dont use any of it.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time i check, you do care. If im crap, youre a crap too. You replied to me twice right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I dont use any of it.

It seems he is referring in general, just use luma at your hearts content, if someone wants to use gateway let them use gateway

This stubborn mindset has killed modern homebrew since people tend to be more bandwagon types IMHO, most repeat somebody's elses opinion instead of making their own

D

Deleted-236924

It'd be sick if GW could be reverse-engineered one day, and support for the red card added to Luma or something.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be sick if GW could be reverse-engineered one day, and support for the red card added to Luma or something.

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/gwcard

Red card protocol has been reversed engineered, so now one can use it to access the raw sectors from the SD card, supports both dstwo gw mode and original gateway cards, though this would have to be incorporated into whatever cfw or homebrew

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/gwcard

Red card protocol has been reversed engineered, so now one can use it to access the raw sectors from the SD card, supports both dstwo gw mode and original gateway cards, though this would have to be incorporated into whatever cfw or homebrew
This happened a long time ago but nothing really came of it. Semi useless.

O p any news? You have a few different options on how to proceed. Red card works great. Don't worry about the 20 or so games that don't work with it. Just put those ones on Luma. Then you don't really need to do much.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply just install b9s and luma on sysnand,

boot godmode9 and create emunand and format as gateway,

boot emunand via luma (hold select when booting and tick autoboot emunand), go-to system settings as long as says EMU xx.xx you're on the emunand, s

just update said emunand to 11.12,

The method I posted still works:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-gw3d-11-10-b9s-and-cfw.550040/

Just install sysupdater with the 5 cia's ( here is the Google search bit.ly/2rheNO2 Go figure the rest )

idk why they manually install updates (with the files i used it's the "updates!" Folder you don't need it) on the other forum (that has the files) this caused a brick which I had to restore via ntrboot when I tried, I simply just booted emunand in luma then used the official update via system settings, then ran sysupdater and just ran the downgrade part which works no need to Manually install the entire update

I found that to be the best method, as you can switch between luma and gateway mode as well as switching between sys and emu nands on the fly, uses the least amount of files, just use sighax+luma to chainload bootct9 using the one .firm payload and the launcher.dat, after downgrading the emunand

My new3ds runs fine with gateway on 11.12-44u, and with my use pretty much has a perfect boot rate, only thing is that eShop will not work correctly on the emunand, your sysnand will have to be updated and I simply use that with luma (untick the autoboot emunand in luma settings) though my sysnand is still at 11.10 (this is why emunands can be useful)

Reactions: nintendo3dsxlfan

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If you really want to use your GW cart, you'll have to downgrade your emuNAND to 11.2 at the latest. GW wasn't updated to support firmwares beyond that. Which means no online.
It's not really worth the hassle, as converting .3DS roms to CIA only takes a few seconds each with https://github.com/ihaveamac/3dsconv
EmuNAND is not really useful for Luma3DS. So I would suggest moving your emuNAND to sysNAND by following https://3ds.hacks.guide/move-emunand
Otherwise, DSiWare games won't work. DS cartridges (including the GW blue cart) should work just fine though.
online works with spoof

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Keeping emuNAND up to date with frankenfirm and dealing with bricks when updating doesn't go as well as you hoped is more hassle than just switching to Luma to begin with. It's so not worth it to go through all of that to use an inferior CFW.
I not update to frankenfirm, I use lastest support gw fw.
Before going to online I spoof it throught homebrew.
That's all

Forget to say that I spoof throught luma3ds and go online.
When I need redcard boot gw.
Same emunand for GW\Luma3ds

Last edited by k7ra,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1