Are my PC's specs really all that bad, from a gaming standpoint?

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I'm sure it's possible upgrade the CPU. it is definitely removable. I dismantled the whole thing with my cousin once to install some a better fan. and a new HDD. here's my exact laptop listed on HP's website, if that helps at all: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04058444
I believe you, I can remove mine too. I wondered if the cpu you want, will it be compatible with the motherboard? Both are 3rd gen though.

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you, I can remove mine too. I wondered if the cpu you want, will it be compatible with the motherboard? Both are 3rd gen though.
a website I don't have a link to said the upgrade rate between my CPU and this i7 was 59%, don't know if that's credible though. As I said, I need to do ore research.

D

Deleted User

yeah, a Desktop really isn't an option. I don't have enough room for one. not in a one room apartment/loft anyway.
Well um you might be better just buying a second hand better laptop. Building laptops I hear is not worth it. It's not as simple as building a PC.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As long as the CPU is socketed and not soldered, upgrading them is easy. The biggest concerns are sourcing a replacement CPU (which tend to be 50-100% more expensive compared to desktop counterparts) and picking one that has the same TDP as your current i3. Then there's the matter of if your BIOS supports it or needs updating.

The TDP part is important, because if you stick in a CPU that runs hotter than your cooling solution can handle, you'll have issues with throttling and shutdowns. This is the main reason why most sites advise that, as a rule of thumb, upgrading a laptop just isn't worth it.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I forgot to say, the graphic card is more important than the cpu for gaming. So you have a integrated hd 4000, which isn't the best. Depending which games you'd like to play, probably you gonna get low fps with lowest resolution on some newer gamers.
I wouldn't risk

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your first order bottleneck is the GPU, only then the CPU and RAM.
In your case upgrading the CPU may get you only a very slight improvement in gaming, more regarding loading times than anything, not so much for FPS (if you had low FPS overall, they will stay low, if you had it only skipping from time to time that perhaps will be fixed).
If the game was not playable/enjoyable, it still won't be.

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I own a similar laptop to you, and it plays some things before it thermaly throttles and shuts down. The computer has terrible ventilation vents and idles at 80 Celcius, so...

New AAA Games will probably be nearly impossible, but anything 2-3 years or older should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM