Are we all being serious

rujoeking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
maybe i'm an idiot, but the search engine has a terrible format, and never turns any results for me.... maybe if it were to be easier to use for newcomers , they would be more likely to use it..
I don't use search, if there's specific I'm looking for then I'll look through the forums.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Demonstryde said:
maybe i'm an idiot, but the search engine has a terrible format, and never turns any results for me.... maybe if it were to be easier to use for newcomers , they would be more likely to use it..
If thats too complicated or not good enough for you, you can just look at the right section for what you need.. or GOOGLE a bit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:

Use this then.

I've never been a fan of the Search function on the forum itself but I've always used the Google one.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Demonstryde said:
I don't use search, if there's specific I'm looking for then I'll look through the forums.
your also not a newcomer getting flamed for not using the unusable search engine...... maybe make new engine designed spesifically for newcomers

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Demonstryde said:
machomuu said:
Demonstryde said:
your also not a newcomer getting flamed for not using the unusable search engine...... maybe make new engine designed spesifically for newcomers
Why is there a need for that? You dont need a masters degree in computer science to navigate through this forum o.o

The layout and visual is pretty good in my opinion, and not too hard to find the info you need on a particular section.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
KirbyBoy said:
Nebz said:
welcome to the Internet.
/thread.

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Aug 5 2011, 08:19 PM) If you're so sensitive that you can't take a little flaming and arguing, you're gonna have to leave the internet. Arguing will lead to inspiration which will lead to so degree of success. What do you want us to do? Constantly praise each other? We'll never get anywhere.

Also this.
/quoted for truth.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
Demonstryde said:
If thats too complicated or not good enough for you, you can just look at the right section for what you need.. or GOOGLE a bit.
that is what i do.... but i am saying.... dont flame a newcomer for not using the horribly formated unfunctional search engine.....

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with the suggestion that the search engine be made more user-friendly.
On a forum where we talk about the NDS, the Wii, the 360, and the PS3, you can't search any term less than four characters.
I realize why that policy was put in place, but it seems rather counterproductive.

Slyakin & sinharvest24: No, we don't have to constantly praise each other,
but we also don't have to constantly berate each other.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:

google. the answer to 99% of the questions asked here can be found within the top 5 results of a google search (and that's being generous, usually the top 3 results). The problem is, a lot of new people would rather just create a thread and have someone tell them their answers rather than actually search them out themselves. it takes a good amount of "trolling" before some people learn...and some people never do...

as far as "theories" on hacking or exploits, it's all sillyness. there are people with actual knowledge looking at this stuff every single day and someone is going to suggest "lets spoof Nintendo's servers" or "lets do a Twilight Princess type save file"? do people honestly think that all of these things weren't thought of before they created a thread?

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The OP is how I feel, and I've asked staff to make a sticky in the section stating such, but it seems very few people care.
I don't really know how I can help. And for all I know, I could be part of the problem. But I feel that the OP does have a point, and I do care.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Rydian said:
The OP is how I feel, and I've asked staff to make a sticky in the section stating such, but it seems very few people care.
I don't really know how I can help. And for all I know, I could be part of the problem. But I feel that the OP does have a point, and I do care.

LOL The same happened to me in my noob era. That's why I asked a moderator to remove all my Topics on my profile so I didn't have to remember those hateful replies.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happens to nearly everyone in their "noob" era... There are the people who take it, make the decision to learn more, and get involved...and there are the people who get upset, complain, and disappear (only to create a different account and start over)...

People say it's because this is the internet and people are dicks on the internet because of the anonymity. But it's not. It takes a sense of entitlement to think that everyone else is going to do the work for you in writing software and guides, in providing the answers to every question and do all this out of the goodness of their hearts. How many "real world" communities offer that?

Many people come here with knowledge and stuff to share and that's fantastic. For those who find the site after doing a google search for "free nds games" or "hack my wii" or "3DS flash carts"...they have to go through a "noob era". I went through my "noob era" as did nearly everyone else who has been here for any length of time. I don't know much of anything. But at least I contributed to the Wii section as much as I could and for as long as I could...even after being trolled for "good ideas".

rujoeking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,
I am really happy with the responses to my post.
and I appreciate some people may see the issue as trivial or "Part of the internet"
certain things can be done to help the situation,
putting suggestions forward on how people can help themselves would make a massive difference,
instead of "Stickies" there could be a box at the top of each sub forum pointing to wiki type content for example using the 3ds forum as an example

________________________________________________________________________________

Flashcard support...................Current status of Hacks....................Hardware...................etc.....
Supercard DSTwo..................How does encryption work.................what is in the 3ds................
R4-SDHC...............................What has already been tried.............something else....................
R4-Gold............................................................................

________________________________________________________________________________

This could be in a larger font with icons etc...
having it clearly broken down like this within the forum (above the topics) would avoid a lot of common reoccurring questions and avoid a lot of frustration
smile.gif

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
DroRox said:
I take to the OP.
People's ideas aren't considered here. People who have more experience are assholes to those who just started out and have fresh ideas. It's one thing to explain why an idea doesn't work and another to call someone a noob and make fun of them for trying to collaborate.
As you can see, Smealum has few posts and yet his Minecraft DS idea is vastly supported.
Not all ideas are taken kindly too. And Im not just saying homebrew. I'm saying about everything. Blogs. And those hack ideas. I'm no hacker, but throwing stuff out there doesn't hurt anyone.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt my reputation was any good when I first joined. My first thread turned into doubles, posted in the User submitted news section, asking "What is the best flash cart"
blush.gif

One thread got mostly flames, one 1-2 helpful answers. The other one had some helpful answers, a humorous post from p1ngpong, and ojsinnerz explaining to me what I did wrong. Apparently, I couldn't read at that time, hehe. Anyways, I can understand why many would be irritated at some of the newer members, and although I find most very annoying, there are a select few that I have come to respect, including the OP just now. Ironically, some of the most respected members have had the same types of noobish posts and threads when they had first joined.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I think the issue doesn't lie in GBAtemp: rather, a simple solution does, and we're the people who must make the solution truth!
Remember how the internet is a vast machine that promotes anonymity and the safeties with it. We all know what sort of counter-productivity that brings to smaller communities like these: coldness, lack of empathy, trolls/flaming, and most importantly, and evil downwards spiral for all users.

BUT!

The key lies in the fact that we have SO much anonymity. I would take this further, and call it TOO much. In fact, with the smaller amount of information we do disclose within a community that thrives on information, it's simple to connect the dots here: we're being too anonymous towards each other.

What I mean is that we need to enable ourselves to let anyone in. But when I mean ANYONE, I mean a person, a human behind a keyboard, seeking a companion on the web, or seeking information where it's needed. This isn't just a "User", it's a human! And god damn it, if I may say so, we often forget that there are humans behind the keyboards.

What I suggest now, is to promote an openness between users: why? It's simple: we need to create a safer environment in the more toxic places of the Temp, in order to become a more inviting forum. It can be as simple as promoting more users to welcome the new Tempers (this isn't a job The Catboy has to do alone, am I right?), or as hardcore as the Mods making Know Your Temps a massively advertised event.

Seeing how there are many recurring role-model users, why not start there? It's pretty easy to make it known who you are, through all the myriad of functions available on the forum, with the main one being to just post. The important part is to become a forum that isn't dispersed, but is tied together into unity. While it may seem like a more "male" and professional approach to get to know tempers, it may just bring a safer and nicer environment to all of us.

FINAL SUMMATION: We must all strive to achieve the GBAtemp we WANT to post in. And we must all strive for ONE goal, because if the hundred of us Tempers unite and work together, nothing is impossible.

EDIT: In no way am I going to force anyone to be open, and I don't promote the owners of the website to retain such information forcefully, either. No: it must come from free will that we make ourselves more open Internet citizens.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DroRox said:
machomuu said:
DroRox said:
I take to the OP.
People's ideas aren't considered here. People who have more experience are assholes to those who just started out and have fresh ideas. It's one thing to explain why an idea doesn't work and another to call someone a noob and make fun of them for trying to collaborate.
As you can see, Smealum has few posts and yet his Minecraft DS idea is vastly supported.
Not all ideas are taken kindly too. And Im not just saying homebrew. I'm saying about everything. Blogs. And those hack ideas. I'm no hacker, but throwing stuff out there doesn't hurt anyone.
Well I will be neutral yet critical to those ideas, others may not be so nice, and it's to be expected if they are not researched.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rujoeking said:
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.
i actually dont think this site or scene is that bad for that sort of thing , the 360 scene is the absolut worst, and the wihacks site is prety bad too
much much worse than here i think
the problem is that (not this scene really) that in alot of these scenes the people who know how to do this stuff , have absolutly ibismal communication skills, if people could just take a few minutes to proof read what they write and spend just a bit more time in explaining things properly and not in a way that leaves all sorts of improtant shit out and in a ways that are vague and can be interperted in 50 different ways,with spelling errors,and cause they are not being specific, then we could eliminate more the 50% of posts
all these scenes are full of obsolete tutorials with outdated and obsolete information ,that never gets updated, and are horribly written tutorials, and written by people who have no idea how to clearly explain things, there is this kid on you tube that does a great job in explaining stuff for the ps3 scene , chris tech tv ,hes great at explaining things if every scene had someone like that ,someone with great commnication skills like he has , we woud not have these problems

people should take a page from that kid, especially the ones who make yt videos with horrible shitty music, or complete silence and then call it a "tutorial", neither of which should be done in a tutorial video,and bad poor shaky camera work, poor out of focus camera work,where you cant see anything ,and on and on

people dont even speak in proper complete sentences, and they are so vague in the way they try to explain things, they leave things open to be interperted in 100 different ways, if people would just read wtf they write before they post advice or tutorials, and make sure that there is absolutly no possible way that someone could interpert what they write in more than 1 way ,then people would not be so bitchy about seeing people posting the same questions over and over, sure there are some people who ask obvious things over and over , but alot of the questions are due to the way alot of stuff on console scenes is "explained"
alot of things like most tutorials just go right in and start spewing technical jargon , where they should first,always give you an overview of the procedure in laymans terms , and explain the outcome and goal of what it is the tutorial is for,first,before they even get to the 1st step in laymens terms, everything should have atleast a little brief explanation that says what it is basically for, in lay terms atleast,and at most a quick overview of the procedure that explains what you will be doing in each step that is written in plain english with out using any technical terms, unless it is to define them , also a glosary of acronyms and terms should be included in every site , and maybe a short little one at the begining of every tutorial that explains any terms or acronyms you may come across that you or a noob might not know the definition of,that are used in the tutorial
there is no common sense in these scenes ,and absolutly no communication skills what so ever ,its like the 2 dont mix or something,
i swear 90% of what i read on these sites ,i dont thin the person that wrote even went back and read it even one time after they wrote it
then when you point out stuff that is obviously confusing they inore it or you ,or try and argue with you why they are right and you are jus an idiot for understanding the retarted vague tutorial ,instead of just editing it ,and taking your advice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!