Are you against Piracy?

Are you against Piracy?

• Yes, the game industry is suffering under it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I do not care if I fuck up the games as long as I can play it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stalker017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Internet Rule Number 45, guys.

Read.

QUOTE said:
Anyone on the Internet going on record stating that they are against a form of piracy are pirates themselves. If you're on the Internet and know about piracy, odds are that you do it in some way, shape or form such has illegal: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Anime, Softwares, PC Games, Console Games, ROMs, Operating Systems, etc... These people could be defined as hypocrites for judging people on doing something that they do themselves. The only explanation of this behavior would be fear of getting caught or fear of judgments.

Enough said.
rolleyes.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
stalker017 said:
Internet Rule Number 45, guys.

Read.

QUOTE said:
Anyone on the Internet going on record stating that they are against a form of piracy are pirates themselves. If you're on the Internet and know about piracy, odds are that you do it in some way, shape or form such has illegal: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Anime, Softwares, PC Games, Console Games, ROMs, Operating Systems, etc... These people could be defined as hypocrites for judging people on doing something that they do themselves. The only explanation of this behavior would be fear of getting caught or fear of judgments.

Enough said.
rolleyes.gif

+1000

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uncle FEFL said:
Depravo said:
In which case the game developer STILL doesn't get your money.
It's weird that you see it that way. The developer still doesn't get money, but you also don't get to steal their game. It's the complete absence of a transaction, rather than theft.
The OP wasn't talking about the morality/immorality of game piracy, he was talking about financially supporting the game developers. If you genuinely have no intention or no means of purchasing a game then illegally downloading said game does not deprive the developer of any potential profits.

Whether or not you deserve to play said game is the subject for a different discussion...

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I was going to reply to this thread, but the poll options are so biased it's not even funny.

I don't pirate games ANYMORE, But it's not because I give a shit about the industry, but it ruins the experience for a console. It makes even 5 star games seem mediocre, because the games you downloaded hold no value.

Fuck this, i'm out.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy/copyright infringement is not stealing or theft anyway. You have not stolen something physical and the copyright owner has not been deprived physically of property, nor have you stolen his rights to the copyrighted material, you have infringed on them.

Anyway. If a game is worth buying, even if I have -acquired- it by other means, I will buy it.

Publishers like to blame piracy for poor sales, or when a game flops. The sad reality is many times these games weren't any good to start with, were very buggy, or are just the same old rehashed content with nothing new added.

D

Deleted User

Dark Langin said:
Well I am completely against piracy I do not care what reason. NAH
THOUGH I GONNA DOWNLOAD WHITE IN JAP.
Contradicting yourself in the initial post of a thread against piracy seems a little ... well, stupid (for the lack of a better word) to me. That said, I'm not going to further participate in this discussion as you've already proven stalker017's point is valid and because, in my opinion, all of these threads are pointless.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
I was going to reply to this thread, but the poll options are so biased it's not even funny.

I don't pirate games ANYMORE, But it's not because I give a shit about the industry, but it ruins the experience for a console. It makes even 5 star games seem mediocre, because the games you downloaded hold no value.

Fuck this, i'm out.
I'm with this guy. I only ever pirated DS games and 1 PC game, and no longer do so. When paying for a game, I'm making an investment, and hoping it pays off by being a really well-made and satisfying game. When I pirated, I really just didn't care. Good, bad, who cares, it was free.

This is one of the main reasons I post Steam's epic sales in the user submitted news section. Instead of berating and insulting pirates into stopping, I try to show them games they want, at prices that are incredibly tough to beat even by used games. It also saves a few trees by not needing packaging or a printed manual/inserts, saves space, and makes it easier for me to find folks who have those games to play with. Incentive to buy > "You dirty pirate!"

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I always go on about being a dirty rotten pirate, but to be honest, until the DS I was actually pretty legit with all my games. Sure, I DL PC games sometimes, and I pirated the hell out of Commodore 64 back in the day, but all the consoles I've owned over the years were 100% legit. Atari, Genesis, 3D0, PS1, Intellivision (and others I have since forgotten) were all systems I never pirated anything on. I bought every game I had, and I had loads of games for those systems. Of course now, those ARE all pirated as I have them on emulators on my computer, but that's besides the point.

I'm not against piracy, but I'm not nearly the pirate I made myself out to be either. Now if I worked for a software company, I would likely be against it, but I'm not, so I'm not. It's more of a "because I can" sort of thing that I pirate anything, not blatant hate of corporations or to feel like I got away with something. I do it to have something to do as I sit here mostly broke and unable to find a decent job. I do it so I at least can play a game instead of sitting here and contemplating my bleak existence. If I can find me some entertainment while I'm sitting here bored and doing nothing, then click click click. It takes my mind off the depressing things, even if only for a little while. To be honest, if I had a decent job where I could afford more than just bills and food, I'd buy more games than I download. That's the truth.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I only pirate because i'm left with no other choise. I can't afford to buy all the games, movies, music, consoles i want. If i did i would have starved to dead by now :/

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vidboy10 said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Some people pirate because they can't afford video games.
Well, theres a thing called jobs.
That's a very ill-informed and insensitive statement. Sure some people are poor due to their own laziness but lots more people are poor through no fault of their own.

w123300tdt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dudeonline said:

Fuck this, i'm out.

Totaly agree with this dude(online)

Get some more serious poll answers or leave on blank

joedonpipp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to err it to be human. Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engage in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. many made men only became something because they took what they wanted. famous pirates- Blackbeard - These are facts about the notorious captain and certainly most famous pirate of all time. His deeds, behavior and a terrifying image made him a perfect villain, who harassed many ships in Caribbean. Stede Bonnet - Stede Bonnet was a former major and wealthy man who suddenly turned to piracy. He became famous despite the fact that he was inexperienced and incompetent pirate. Howell Davis - The intelligent pirate, who often used trickery instead of relying only on arms and firepower. Henry Morgan - Morgan was certainly the most famous buccaneer, a great leader and a hero of England. A man who was so brave and successful that even his enemies praised him. Jean Laffite - Famous American hero, privateer, mechant, smuggler, slave trader... WHAT does this have to do with piracy...absolutly NOTHING!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally, does the OP consider me a robbing bastard for buying used games? The only games I've paid money for in the last 5 years were second hand, either from Blockbuster or Amazon Marketplace. The games developers get absolutely NO money for these transactions yet I still get to play the game.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
joedonpipp said:
to err it to be human. Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engage in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. many made men only became something because they took what they wanted. famous pirates- Blackbeard - These are facts about the notorious captain and certainly most famous pirate of all time. His deeds, behavior and a terrifying image made him a perfect villain, who harassed many ships in Caribbean. Stede Bonnet - Stede Bonnet was a former major and wealthy man who suddenly turned to piracy. He became famous despite the fact that he was inexperienced and incompetent pirate. Howell Davis - The intelligent pirate, who often used trickery instead of relying only on arms and firepower. Henry Morgan - Morgan was certainly the most famous buccaneer, a great leader and a hero of England. A man who was so brave and successful that even his enemies praised him. Jean Laffite - Famous American hero, privateer, mechant, smuggler, slave trader... WHAT does this have to do with piracy...absolutly NOTHING!

I actually lol'd at this post. Thank you. I was having a shitty day already. (Got a goddamn DMCA notice for torrenting GBA roms)

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I turned to piracy because I needed some form of escapism in my suicide inducingly bad life. Seriously, I had nothing. So I figured since I can't afford my games, I'll download them instead. It was necessary to keep me sane. Now that I've found work, I pay for most of my games. I've always paid for console games on the rare occasion I can afford them, primarily because the consoles actually belong to my dad and ergo haven't been flashed yet. I also pay for any PSP game that's too big to easily download, IE: Kingdom Hearts. Plus in the case of KH I wanted the art book
smile.gif

I'm not saying piracy is right, necessarily. All I am saying is that if I hadn't had the escapism provided by my Cyclo for the last few years, with all the problems I've been through I probably would have killed someone. Probably myself. Seriously. We all need something to keep us going when times are rough, my Cyclo was my option.

BumFace

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
honestly, i pirate almost everything lol, i'm broke =/ and too young for a job lol, my parents don't want me to spend it on games, so i resort to piracy, and use my parents money for nice clothes xD well i pirate a few games, about 4, maybe new ones if they're worth it

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
Incidentally, does the OP consider me a robbing bastard for buying used games? The only games I've paid money for in the last 5 years were second hand, either from Blockbuster or Amazon Marketplace. The games developers get absolutely NO money for these transactions yet I still get to play the game.
I have been thinking of the same thing. Game and music exchanges only result in profits for the store involved in the transaction. One person purchases the original and that can then be re-traded many, many times resulting in no profits for the developers.

The cost of game development is way to high as well. I'm not sure if this is due to the number of people involved but I have a feeling it has more to do with the projects themselves being very poorly managed. I have heard reports of games selling millions of units and still producing a loss. As with any business poor management and excessive costs will result in failure.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't vote because the I didn't like the reason you gave

poll #1
I'm for piracy..but I don't pirate everything
I still buy games I plan to keep and are worth keeping, example..Dragin Quest IX, T.W.E.W.Y., etc
but for games like spider man, or puzzle quest..I will pirate

poll#2
I'm also for flash cart..because I like having all my games on one cart, and I would pirate less if there was a easy way to dump your own games
flash cart also turn my ds into media player

poll#3
see poll# 1

with that being said..I do pirate and there's no plan to stop untill prices comes down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious