Hardware Ask Nintendo to do something about the n3DS XL IPS vs TN Screen issue

DashBlacK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just watched a few adverts for the 3DS XL (LL for plebs) by a few the only ones the made for New Nintendo 3DS consoles

Other than the Idol BS, there is literally no Mention of IPS so if you gonna play up ni this thread as usual get some facts

also searching about the advertisement came up with 1 Person saying he saw said advert seems legit, must be your info source

is this you or your distant relative because he sounds just as bad an his lack of knowledge is the same

Seriously is this you though?

Interesting find. Can you link to the original thread? I would like to go through it.

Zeldalife89

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. They never offered you an IPS panel, you got lucky and received a console with one installed. They didn't use it because they wanted to be nice - they used that particular panel because they had no other choice. The 3DS was never designed to use an IPS panel - in fact, I think the units with IPS screens have some sort of voltage issue with the screen that causes a very slight but noticeable flickering.

he this post is old but its from this year at least lol maybe i can brinf it life i have a question since you know alot about IPS panels , i recently joined the 3ds family and got the new xl i ended up with ips first but it had a very loose hinges i returned it got a Tn back returned it again got anothe TN but this one has very good hinges so i guess the ips ones are some what rare? also i never noticed any issue with the display on ips but if you say all ips have some sort of interlacing problem should i just keep my TN then and quit the hunt for ips? so im guessing ips are prone to more problems than tn on the 3ds?

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hmm, I just stumbled about this hidden mechanic yesterday which I knew nothing previously... now I'm infected with the worry of being obsessed in getting IPS screens if I'm planning to buy a New 3ds XL after my graduation :(

So, is this TP vs IPS thingy now something to be very obsessed about? My only worries before this is if the unit I'm planning to buy contains dead pixels, or if there's still available Blue & White-colored units (and maybe the firmware version).

Last edited by Princess Emily,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm, I just stumbled about this hidden mechanic yesterday which I knew nothing previously... now I'm infected with the worry of being obsessed in getting IPS screens if I'm planning to buy a New 3ds XL after my graduation :(

So, is this TP vs IPS thingy now something to be very obsessed about? My only worries before this is if the unit I'm planning to buy contains dead pixels, or if there's still available Blue & White-colored units (and maybe the firmware version).
No. It is nothing to worry or be obsessed about.
Just make as if this thread didn't exist.
Don't waste your time.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OP, I'm worried complaining would cause it to become all TN. It's not that you're randomly getting inferior for the same price with TN, it's that IPS is randomly getting superior.

Also, it's no different than the different sized NANDs.

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
When i opened my new 3ds for the 1st time, I directly noticed that the screen was horribly kind of yellow, even when looking it straight with no angle ans wihtout needing to compare it with my old 3ds.

Is this related to TN screen ?

My old 3ds doesn't have this issue and displays perfect white and Nice contrast.

EDIT : i 'll add that i reported this to the seller and he said it was a normal thing ;-;

note for myself, i'll never buy anymore a handheld console of nintendo without checking it before.
A picture of the screen would be nice. Even better when the screen in the picture would just show white.

This isn't related to the TN thing, it's just that some LCD tends to be more yellow, or warm, and some are more to the blue spectrum.

I had this problem with an iPhone 4, which was in comparison to an other iPhone 4 extremely yellow.

If it is bothering you, you should call Nintendo. I'm sure they will replace it.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I will try to fix your ignorance regarding the subject.
Nintendo has already done "something about the n3ds xl ips vs tn screen issue".
It accepted that including the higher quality IPS screen was a production error related to stock shortage of lower quality screen.
But since then Nintendo has fixed its production problems and is producing N3DS witn lower quality TN screens, as it was originally intended and planned.
Furthermore, always so devoted to fix their mistakes, Nintendo is replacing systems with the unintended high quality IPS screens for free.
Just send your on warranty faulty (faulty because it was not intended on design) IPS system to Nintendo and you will receive a shiny TN N3DS.
Fortunately for you, you received an unfaulty system from the get go. So you should be happy and not whine about it.
You got it backwards. IPS screens are more common nowadays. In fact, they just started producing dual IPS earlier this year.

shouldnt matter for a source makes perfect since and its how supply and demand works on replacement parts.

Happens all the time in the industry of selling hardware.

My dad has a pair of £800 (each) speakers from when he was a DJ he had to swap the insides out on the main driver on a 3rd because they started using a different driver tht was Chinese made not american which had worse quality.

What nintendo probably did was order a crapton of LCD's they supplied IPS to replace any stock discrepancy. also explains why it is XL only

Nintendo don't add the LCD and Outer Plates with designs until end of production so thats why they are mixed in randomly.

I have a Majoras 3DS XL with an IPS there are many out their without.

Some people have reported your Hyrule 3DS to have an IPS but its very Few atm so it could be hitting the end of stock.

Also Nintendo do not advertise their 3DS as IPS display it was found out randomly by users, so it isnt their job to give you one so please leave your ranting somewhere else this isn't your Privilege you are not entitled

If it was such an issue from day one you should have returned it and just gambled on rebuying the console instead of this Tumblr rant waste of time you gave Nintendo and Us

Hell some People dont even like the IPS Panel because it causes Multiplex Interlacing (which can be seen)

Why the TN panel Doesnt

Maybe as a COLLECTOR you should spend more time appreciating the fact you got the console

Maybe then you may actually start deserving it

on another not Hyrule edition doesnt even look that good, eve the gold shade is bad
And IPS screens are not XL only. Yes, you are entitled. You are paying for it.
I call bullshit.

why would you ever hold your console at such angles?
Yes. My system is always in front of me on a table and I am in a vegetative state, so my system is always in-line with my line of sight.

My portable and movable system is always within a 45° angle in front of me. As I am typing this on my phone at the moment, my TN new 3DS is to the side of me and the video I'm watching looks like washed out trash.

I never set the system down or take pictures of it. Using the gyroscope? Who does that?

Shit, I better turn Super Stable 3D off. I should be in front of my console of all times, so Super Stable 3D is a fucking useless addition to the system.

(By the way, TN new 3DS users were reporting a worse SS3D effects compared to IPS users, look it up. I mean two different quality images are sent to your eyes on a TN screen, so it makes sense)

The -entire- reason XL systems exist is to share your games. For others to watch. All DSi XLs had IPS.

TN screens are 100% crap. I was extremely happy when I had a dual IPS Majora console. I sometimes even spent seconds of my time moving my screen in angles or not having to turn my system for someone else to see it. You know, having a quality screen and not settling for garbage, and later complaining that "it's a toy, and it doesn't have much quality anyway".

My screens didn't look like it belonged to a LeapFrog toy like like o3DS and small dual TN new 3DS. I noticed this difference before I even made an account here, ON new 3DS release date. I didn't even know it was two different screens, but I would rather just play a single game on the New 3DS rather than all the others on my TN old 3DSes. The screen was the first thing I noticed, not even the CStick, since that isn't even used 75% of the time.

Screen is used 100% of the time, but apparently that doesn't matter. How dare someone ask for quality for something they pay for.

"Nintendo never MARKETED the screens for the n3DS, so you have no complaint"

I never asked if they did or not. Why is it relevant that they never marketed it.

If they had included a third screen or more buttons on models of the exact same system, but you had no way of knowing which systems had it and you were paying the same price, you would be frustrated.

Last edited by Halvorsen,
Reactions: DashBlacK

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Idk...it's very pointless to collect stuff. Anything- it's rediculous. You can't take it with you when you're dead. Ppl
Think they will live forever or
Something. Collect food or water instead and just buy one system lol
That is your own opinion. I will collect things as long as I am alive. I take joy in collecting things, so who are you to say it is stupid?

TwistedZeon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You got it backwards. IPS screens are more common nowadays. In fact, they just started producing dual IPS earlier this year.

And IPS screens are not XL only. Yes, you are entitled. You are paying for it.
I call bullshit.

Yes. My screen is always in front of me within 45° angles. I never set the system down or take pictures of it. Using the gyroscope? Who does that? The -entire- reason XL systems exist is to share your games. For friends to watch. All DSi XLs had IPS.

TN screens are crap. I was extremely happy when I had a dual IPS Majora console. I sometimes even spent seconds of my time moving my screen in angles or not having tk turn it for someone else to see it.

My screens didn't look like it belonged to a LeapFrog toy like like o3DS and small dual TN new 3DS. I noticed this difference before I even made an account here. I didn't even know it was two different screens, but I played one game on my IPS 3DS rather than the multiple on my TN because it looked better.

So that's the reason XLs were made? Shit, and here I thought the whole reason I bought it was because of my huge ass hands.. Seriously though, it's for people like me who A) have huge hands or B) want a bigger screen for easier/more enjoyable viewing experience or C) Both. Who the hell buys an XL to have friends sit on your shoulder and watch you play games.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Customer support hated you no doubt. I honestly think complaining to people who have nothing to do with the production/design of this product will result in absolute zero change.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
So that's the reason XLs were made? Shit, and here I thought the whole reason I bought it was because of my huge ass hands.. Seriously though, it's for people like me who A) have huge hands or B) want a bigger screen for easier/more enjoyable viewing experience or C) Both. Who the hell buys an XL to have friends sit on your shoulder and watch you play games.
That's why it was sold. Look at any commercials (one said it outright) or pictures featuring the XL always have multiple people looking over the player's shoulder. They use the small system when it's for personal use.

And like, that was the only way to play certain Download Play games, like Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And which one is better?
TN if you have one of your eyes closed and 3D off, otherwise IPS. TN is supposed to have slightly longer battery life (5%)
Besides, nobody will play while watching the screen sideways lol.
Well, if my sister is playing on it and I'm bored with nothing to do, it's nice to see what she's doing.

Reactions: Princess Emily

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I guess this issue shouldn't matter in the long run then... as long as the screen is viewable & without issues like dead/stuck pixels, etc.

No. It is nothing to worry or be obsessed about.
Just make as if this thread didn't exist.
Don't waste your time.
^ That too.
Must...resist...the urge to mentally whine & demand for IPS screens!

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Owning a dual screen IPS n3DS, I couldn't tell the difference immediately.

Holy hell, if someone watched me play my games over my shoulder, there would have been a smack the size of Timbucktoo. It's a handheld for that reason! Sheesh.

That said, I don't mind the TN screens on my o3DS. I'm not viewing the thing at weird angles.

Reactions: Princess Emily

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is your own opinion. I will collect things as long as I am alive. I take joy in collecting things, so who are you to say it is stupid?

Yes, you're correct. It is wrong of me to trash talk other people's passions.
I do apologize for being mean spirited. Since my father died (oh...15 years now?) I seem to have lost my passion for a lot of things.
Since my daughter was born it has been rekindling my desire for things to matter, even if it's only temporary (or another 70 years or so LoL). I want her to have the childhood I wish I had so badly now.
Anyway, I wish you-all luck in your collection endeavors! It can be an expensive passion!

Reactions: gnmmarechal

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am glad my Majora's Mask N3DS XL (A9LHed!) is IPS top screen. the bottom is TN but that does not matter as much as it looks fine. I would still be fine playing mine had it been a TN top though as the 3DS was not designed to have top picture and graphical quality, it was for playing games in a handheld form factor with interesting control schemes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjocrCuXN-w