Hardware Ask Nintendo to do something about the n3DS XL IPS vs TN Screen issue

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
The power of the human brain.... If no one ever started a thread on the internet regarding the 2 different screen techs available in the new3DS, everyone would just plod along in life not caring which panel they had.....

But now i am intrigued with my N3DS.... So basically if the top screen doesn't go all white the same as bottom screen does, that means you have IPS?

Reactions: Queno138

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While Nintendo doesn't advertise an IPS screen, Nintendo advertises "super-stable" 3D that really only works well on IPS 3DS XLs.

Dont know how that really works when stable 3D is mainly handled by Sensor up top, IPS only realy affects the viewing steep viewing angles and colours, even then when you tilt your 3DS enough the stable 3D picking up your location.

The power of the human brain.... If no one ever started a thread on the internet regarding the 2 different screen techs available in the new3DS, everyone would just plod along in life not caring which panel they had.....

But now i am intrigued with my N3DS.... So basically if the top screen doesn't go all white the same as bottom screen does, that means you have IPS?

Only the Xl has IPS also heres how you can tell its the viewing angles that are the biggest Difference

D6D15979-077F-4937-B8A4-B4C9D2A05B0C_zpswzoocsap.jpg

0C3A358B-99D1-4AAC-8F61-DFFDDE99CDF0_zpsq78qo7lr.jpg

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Dont know how that really works when stable 3D is mainly handled by Sensor up top, IPS only realy affects the viewing steep viewing angles and colours, even then when you tilt your 3DS enough the stable 3D picking up your location.

Only the Xl has IPS also heres how you can tell its the viewing angles that are the biggest Difference

Thanks for that, very helpful pictures there, but without having the two variants in front of me it's hard to say. I'm going to go with my unit having TN type panel. Meh, I won't lose any sleep over it.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well you dont need 2 variants. just use the left 1 as a Basis any 3DS has Mii Plaza just grab a 3DS and tilt it. you can literally position the top screen at extreme angles and the picture will not fade. *best at higher brightnesses*

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for that, very helpful pictures there, but without having the two variants in front of me it's hard to say. I'm going to go with my unit having TN type panel. Meh, I won't lose any sleep over it.
It is quite easy actually, specially if the image on the screen has light colors.
When you look at it with a small different angle from below the contrast of the screen becomes trashy to the point that the different light colored things (e.g. light gray text on a white background) become indistinguishable or change their tone in a very weird manner.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why would you ever hold your console at such angles?
Because... hmmm... perhaps because you are looking for trouble?
I mean, IPS looks somewhat better even when you look at it straight, but if you look it at an angle the difference is way more evident. But anyway the TN screen of the 3DS is not so bad, look how shitty the DS-Lite screen was and you will feel better.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

D6D15979-077F-4937-B8A4-B4C9D2A05B0C_zpswzoocsap.jpg

0C3A358B-99D1-4AAC-8F61-DFFDDE99CDF0_zpsq78qo7lr.jpg
On TN panels there are ghosting effects with super-stable 3D on. On IPS panels not.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once called the Nintendo repair hot line,(the one that is on the back of my N64) as a joke on a streamer. I told them that someone was streaming a Nintendo game off an emulator, and they should do something about it! They hung up on me! :P

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. They never offered you an IPS panel, you got lucky and received a console with one installed. They didn't use it because they wanted to be nice - they used that particular panel because they had no other choice. The 3DS was never designed to use an IPS panel - in fact, I think the units with IPS screens have some sort of voltage issue with the screen that causes a very slight but noticeable flickering.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. They never offered you an IPS panel, you got lucky and received a console with one installed. They didn't use it because they wanted to be nice - they used that particular panel because they had no other choice. The 3DS was never designed to use an IPS panel - in fact, I think the units with IPS screens have some sort of voltage issue with the screen that causes a very slight but noticeable flickering.
actually its gots multiplex interlacing because the resolution is so low and the screen is so clear. kinda its kinda like having a crt

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it possible to get the screen ourselves and have it installed in our 3DS systems for those like TC that really want it? Is it offered anywhere?

DashBlacK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After realizing how big of an asshole people are, it's better to be an asshole yourself and just go get what you want. I sold my TN version for about the same price I bought it for and went through 8 different consoles until I found an IPS display. I opened them in store itself and compared them in front of the store rep to show him the difference. He said those consoles get sent back to Nintendo as defective (even though they aren't).

Tsk tsk, notice how most of the people who say it's a minuscule issue and proceed to bash you are the ones who own IPS displays themselves.

bidiminished

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

If you've used a DSi XL before, you'd realise the 3DS's TN screens are a step back. The 3DS's cheapness should stand out anyway, since even the cheapest smartphones of today are much faster, more powerful and have much better screens. Cutting edge devices like the Galaxy S6 make the N3DS look really pathetic, but you can't expect parents to buy a $1000 console for their children.

Reactions: Queno138

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Rather than complain about what is fair and unfair, when the world is skewed towards unfair, I'll say solve the problem.

If phone calling Nintendo ain't gonna solve the problem, do something else.

DashBlacK is right. you should just buy a Hyrule Edition that has IPS screen, then sell the one you have.

If Nintendo is treating IPS screens as a defect/production error, they won't change one for you, so no point wasting your time there.

DashBlacK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just thought this should be mentioned. All Japanese N3DS LLs were manufactured with IPS screens. They even advertised the IPS screen in the Japanese ads for the N3DS LL.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought this should be mentioned. All Japanese N3DS LLs were manufactured with IPS screens. They even advertised the IPS screen in the Japanese ads for the N3DS LL.
just watched a few adverts for the 3DS XL (LL for plebs) by a few the only ones the made for New Nintendo 3DS consoles

Other than the Idol BS, there is literally no Mention of IPS so if you gonna play up ni this thread as usual get some facts

also searching about the advertisement came up with 1 Person saying he saw said advert seems legit, must be your info source

is this you or your distant relative because he sounds just as bad an his lack of knowledge is the same

Yeah, I exchanged my 3DS up to 4 times (probably more) just to get an IPS panel and no dead pixels. When I got my first one it had a dead pixel and an IPS panel. Second one I got I noticed immediately it was a TN panel (and this was before I even knew about the issue of some coming with TN panels by the way) and it also had a wonky c-stick nub. Third was TN yet again with a f***ing dead pixel and lose hinges. Actually there were a couple others with issues too before I finally got one with an IPS panel and no dead pixel. It pissed me the f*** off because most stores don't let you open them before you buy.

I remember watching a Japanese 3DS commercial that even advertised the IPS screen. Nintendo puts TN panels on some of them just to save a quick buck. And the quality control for the N3DS's is utter garbage. I have no idea what the f*** they were thinking. Too bad they didn't really get put on blast because most of the consumers don't even know the difference/don't care about paying $200+ on falsely advertised inferior products.

Some prefer the TN panels and that's fine, but at least put it on the box instead of sneakily making two different products under the guise of the same product for the same cost. It's shady as hell. TN is cheaper to produce so TN N3DS's should also be cheaper.

EDIT: Also, yes the advertised "super stable 3D" is absolute trash on TN panels when to compared to IPS panels. It does not work nearly as effectively. I should know with how many of these damn things I bought and returned.

Seriously is this you though?

Last edited by izy,
Reactions: jaksy

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is nothing to be done here seriously. nintendo isnt going to replace your system cause then they'd open themselves up to everyone wanting that. they didnt advertise any screen and all screens are in working order.
if you really want a special screen, yeah, have fun harrassing people in stores to open up consoles for you or buying and selling until you get the right screen.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
When i opened my new 3ds for the 1st time, I directly noticed that the screen was horribly kind of yellow, even when looking it straight with no angle ans wihtout needing to compare it with my old 3ds.

Is this related to TN screen ?

My old 3ds doesn't have this issue and displays perfect white and Nice contrast.

EDIT : i 'll add that i reported this to the seller and he said it was a normal thing ;-;

note for myself, i'll never buy anymore a handheld console of nintendo without checking it before.

Last edited by koyuki38,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c