Audio problems with CDDA PS1 games

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm having audio problems with CDDA PS1 games. Some of the audio tracks don't play. I'm using Evilnat 4.90 with IRISMAN.

EDIT: I got it working with this tool by converting the CDDA tracks to ATRAC3 and the game to PKG even though the program said ATRAC3 was uncompleted and the result would not be good but unfortunately it converts the game to PKG, like I said.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having audio problems with CDDA PS1 games. Some of the audio tracks don't play. I'm using Evilnat 4.90 with IRISMAN.

EDIT: I got it working with this tool by converting the game to PKG even though the program stated ATRAC3 was uncompleted and the result would not be good but unfortunately it converts the game to PKG, like I stated. Also, I thought PKG games wouldn't ask to create virtual PS1 MCs like this game did so does that mean this game is actually the PS1 version even though it was converted to PKG and would PS2 CUE/BIN games converted to PKG ask to create virtual PS2 MCs as well?
Use this for multi-bin PSX games and the audio will work, no need to install every game as a package.
https://github.com/ADBeta/psx-comBINe

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Here it's stated Tomb Raider I, Tomb Raider II, Swagman, Alien Trilogy, among other, still have issues if using psx-comBINe and to use the tool I previously mentioned.
Other than a real PSX (not even the PS2) there's no drop ISOs and play solution for all games, for those cases convert or use the PSN version. I gave up on using the PS3 as my PSX HDMI solution and just paid for DEV MODE on XBOX Series X, installed DuckStation and bought a Brook adapter to use DualShock controllers on it, so far no issues in software mode with a nice CRT shader and just minor graphical issues in some games if I choose to upscale to 4k, which makes games like Tomb Raider II looks like a remaster.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Other than a real PSX (not even the PS2) there's no drop ISOs and play solution for all games, for those cases convert or use the PSN version. I gave up on using the PS3 as my PSX HDMI solution and just paid for DEV MODE on XBOX Series X, installed DuckStation and bought a Brook adapter to use DualShock controllers on it, so far no issues in software mode with a nice CRT shader and just minor graphical issues in some games if I choose to upscale to 4k, which makes games like Tomb Raider II looks like a remaster.

Swagman doesn't have a PSN version. Which tool should I use to convert them? I have problems with CDDA PS1 games on the PSC as well. It seems pop-fe is also used to fix non-graphical issues on the PS3, too.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, I thought PKG games wouldn't ask to create virtual PS1 MCs like this game did so does that mean this game is actually the PS1 version even though it was converted to PKG and would PS2 CUE/BIN games converted to PKG ask to create virtual PS2 MCs as well?
Only digital PS2 titles use the per-user VME memory cards, all PS1 titles use unencrypted/Memory Card Utility VM1 memory cards where you can copy individual files in and out (as PSV) even in the official way

But yeah never had a problem with plain, non-split cue+bin format PS1 CD backups

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Only digital PS2 titles use the per-user VME memory cards, all PS1 titles use unencrypted/Memory Card Utility VM1 memory cards where you can copy individual files in and out (as PSV) even in the official way

But yeah never had a problem with plain, non-split cue+bin format PS1 CD backups

Not even with CDDA PS1 games?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not even with PS1 games with CDDA tracks?
Exactly, at least The Smurfs (nice test as it will wait forever for the audio streaming voice acting in the first level to start) and Hot Wheels Turbo Racing :)

I used Webman Mod on, of course, CFWs/HEN with Cobra (as far as I understand it, while Cobra does the software ODE, it's up to the mounting tool to convert the TOC to actual binary data and pass it to Cobra)

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly, at least The Smurfs (nice test as it will wait forever for the audio streaming voice acting in the first level to start) and Hot Wheels Turbo Racing :)

I used Webman Mod on, of course, CFWs/HEN with Cobra (as far as I understand it, while Cobra does the software ODE, it's up to the mounting tool to convert the TOC to actual binary data and pass it to Cobra)

What do you mean by software ODE and TOC?

There are config files mentioned here. I thought they didn't exist, only PS2's. Where can they be downloaded? It's also mentioned some PS1 emulators have issues. How can the emulator (as well as the PS2's) be changed in IRISMAN?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What do you mean by software ODE and TOC?
Well, the main feature of Cobra is mounting disc images - before that (and its clone Mamba) it was only PS3 backups with that obscenely inaccurate overmount method (GAMES/folder type) and custom packages

Table of contents... a... piece of data on a CD which lists the start position of each track and little more information

Consider that the CD was invented as an audio-only format, while the sound is digital most concepts involved are closer to tape or LP than computer files, for one all seek operations are not guaranteed to be accurate to the sector and a disc should be playable start to end ignoring all track/time markers (which are found in, annoying to read and write, "subchannel data"), obviously a lot had to be changed/supplemented to make data discs possible

There are config files mentioned here. I thought they didn't exist, only PS2 ones. Where can I download them? It's also mentioned some PS1 emulators have issues. How can one change the emulator (as well as the PS2 one) in Evilnat with IRISMAN?
Even the PS2 has config files for PS1 mode (which of course resulted in the first softmod for the PS2 bios, the Independence Exploit) :D

But most are integrated into the emulators themselves, I don't think there's much interest for them unlike the ps2_netemu ones (PS2 on PS3 may be inaccurate especially if you don't have a CECH-A or B, but most PS1 titles work out of the box all while the PS3 doesn't support the most common video modes of the PS1 and sucks over triple the power...) and this includes the lack of features to load external ones (as if the format was understood...)

Irisman should have somewhere per-game options, for PS1 titles you can select an emulator there (I didn't like it much because apparently it applies various patches I didn't want?)
In Webman Mod you can select ps1_emu or ps1_netemu from the main settings page, IIRC

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the main feature of Cobra is mounting disc images - before that (and its clone Mamba) it was only PS3 backups with that obscenely inaccurate overmount method (GAMES/folder type) and custom packages

Table of contents... a... piece of data on a CD which lists the start position of each track and little more information

Consider that the CD was invented as an audio-only format, while the sound is digital most concepts involved are closer to tape or LP than computer files, for one all seek operations are not guaranteed to be accurate to the sector and a disc should be playable start to end ignoring all track/time markers (which are found in, annoying to read and write, "subchannel data"), obviously a lot had to be changed/supplemented to make data discs possible

Even the PS2 has config files for PS1 mode (which of course resulted in the first softmod for the PS2 bios, the Independence Exploit) :D

But most are integrated into the emulators themselves, I don't think there's much interest for them unlike the ps2_netemu ones (PS2 on PS3 may be inaccurate especially if you don't have a CECH-A or B, but most PS1 titles work out of the box all while the PS3 doesn't support the most common video modes of the PS1 and sucks over triple the power...) and this includes the lack of features to load external ones (as if the format was understood...)

Irisman should have somewhere per-game options, for PS1 titles you can select an emulator there (I didn't like it much because apparently it applies various patches I didn't want?)
In Webman Mod you can select ps1_emu or ps1_netemu from the main settings page, IIRC

Are you saying the PS3 has problems loading PS1 games from an external HDD?

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gonna add that if I play a problem game with a CD-R backup the music will play fine, so dunno about that link saying that the emulator has difficulties with CDDA, it should say the mounting method. I'll try Smurfs with the combine tool and the new WebMAN MOD that has the new BIOS
Post automatically merged:

EDIT: It works (at least with multiple BIN PS1 games), including in the PSC.
What method do you use for PSC? With autobleem 1.0 you can use CHD which resolves all these headaches and the file is smaller yet with no loss.

Last edited by yadspi,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm gonna add that if I play a problem game with a CD-R backup the music will play fine, so dunno about that link saying that the emulator has difficulties with CDDA, it should say the mounting method. I'll try Smurfs with the combine tool and the new WebMAN MOD that has the new BIOS
Post automatically merged:

What method do you use for PSC? With autobleem 1.0 you can use CHD which resolves all these headaches and the file is smaller yet with no loss.

I used the tool you mentioned because after converting a CDDA PS1 game to CHD with CHDMAN it had problems.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
I used the tool you mentioned since after converting a game with CDDA tracks to CHD with CHDMAN, it had problems.
Problems where? Duckstation and PCSXReARMed have no problems with the format. I used a.bat file specifically for PSX CUE/BIN, there are others made for other CD image formats or you can compile it yourself. Played Tomb Raider 2 with CHD on Duckstation no problems and halfway TR1 on my PS Classic when Autobleem 1.0 started supporting CHD but don’t like ReARMed as it’s less accurate than Duckstation. So far with CHDs I’ve finished Metal Gear, TR2, Klonoa and Tales of Phantasia patched in English

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Problems where? Duckstation and PCSXReARMed have no problems with the format. I used a.bat file specifically for PSX CUE/BIN, there are others made for other CD image formats or you can compile it yourself. Played Tomb Raider 2 with CHD on Duckstation no problems and halfway TR1 on my PS Classic when Autobleem 1.0 started supporting CHD but don’t like ReARMed as it’s less accurate than Duckstation. So far with CHDs I’ve finished Metal Gear, TR2, Klonoa and Tales of Phantasia patched in English

Never mind. I think I used the wrong version (PSP EBOOT) of the game instead of the right one (PSX) and it seems I used a different version of CHDMAN as well. I didn't have the issue I did on the stock emulation with it (I also tried all 4 Retroboot PS1 cores and I didn't have this issue as well) and I also tried Tomb Raider on the stock emulation and I didn't get the black screen I did on the stock emulation after the main menu (I didn't try any of the 4 Retroboot PS1 cores). How can DuckStation be accessed on Retroboot? I only find 4 PS1 cores and none of them has that name. Are they (and DuckStation) more compatible with PS1 games than the stock emulation?

Regarding the PS3, unfortunately I had to convert Tomb Raider to PKG with pop-fe since IRISMAN doesn't recognize CHD files unlike the PSC and after using psx-comBINe I still got the black screen I did in Tomb Raider on the stock emulation (I didn't try any of the 4 Retroboot PS1 cores). It seems psx-comBINe only combines BIN files into one so it doesn't fix this issue and because of that using it or CDMage that I've been using is the same (at least in this game). After using pop-fe, I didn't get the black screen I did and this time it didn't say ATRAC3 was uncompleted and the result would not be good.

I just found out some things like how to change the PS1 emulator on IRISMAN (I just have to press the triangle button on a PS1 game, click "Emulator", choose between "ps1_emu", "ps1_netemu", "old_emu" [whatever this is] and "old_netemu" [whatever this is, as well], press the Circle button and click "Yes" to change the options but "ps1_newemu" doesn't appear in "Emulator", "old_emu" and "old_netemu" don't appear in "Emulator" if running PS1 games from the external HDD's NTFS partition [but do if running them from the external HDD's FAT32 partition and only if it's the first external HDD partition, because if it's not, games aren't even detected] and there's no setting to change the PS2 emulator on IRISMAN), if running PS1 games on IRISMAN from PS3's PSXISO folder, 4 emulators can be used, and if running them from USB's PSXISO folder, only 2 can be used, if running PS1 games on IRISMAN from PS3's PSXISO folder, it runs them right away and doesn't mount them unlike if running them from USB's PSXISO folder and if running PS1 games on IRISMAN from USB's PSXISO folder, it's not asked to create a virtual MC unlike if running them from PS3's PSXISO folder. I noticed my external HDD which is always connected to my PS3 and left above it is very hot and the PS3 isn't even turned for that long. Can it (or the PS3) have problems?

Not in particular, but (when it works, which should be true for most titles) it uses more power than a PS1 while producing usually inaccurate output :)

Jack of all trades...

What do you mean by innacurate output? I noticed it doesn't fill my screen completely unlike the PSC. PS3's external HDD's NTFS partitions don't appear on FileZilla Client when using IRISMAN.

EDIT: The PSC's power supply makes a lot of noise when the PSC's external HDD's LED is turned on and the PSC's external HDD is making noise, which might even happen with the PSC turned off.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Never mind. I think I used the wrong version (PSP EBOOT) of the game instead of the right one (PSX) and it seems I used a different version of CHDMAN. I also tried them on Tomb Raider and I didn't get the black screen I was getting on the stock emulation after the main menu. I noticed the PSC isn't making the AutoBleem startup sound it was making before so is that a problem? Whenever I connect my external HDD and adapter's PSC's USB cable to the OTG cable connected to the PSC's back port, the external HDD's LED always turns on and the external HDD makes noise even with the PSC turned off. Does that mean the external HDD is being used and I always have to turn on the PSC and then off to make the external HDD's LED disappear and to stop the external HDD's noise (the external HDD will turn off)? Is it caused by the adapter which powers it? Also, how can I access DuckStation on RetroBoot? I only find 4 PS1 emulators in it and none of them has that name. Are they (and DuckStation) more compatible with PS1 games than the stock emulation?

Regarding the PS3, unfortunately I had to convert Tomb Raider to PKG with POP-FE since IRISMAN doesn't recognize CHD files unlike the PSC and I didn't get the black screen I was also having. I find out some things like how to change the PS1 emulator on IRISMAN (I just have to press the triangle button on the PS1 game and change the setting regarding the emulator), if running PS1 games from PS3's PSXISO folder, one can change between 4 emulators, and if running them from USB's PSXISO folder, one can change between only 2, and if running PS1 games on IRISMAN from PS3's PSXISO folder, it runs them right away and doesn't mount them unlike if running them from USB's PSXISO folder. I noticed my external HDD which is always connected to the PS3 and left above it is very hot and the PS3 isn't even turned for that long. Can it (or the PS3) have problems?

What do you mean by innacurate output? I noticed it doesn't fill my screen's unlike the PSC.
Duckstation is too heavy for the PSC sadly, at least that's everyone says and the PS3 doesn't have a way to read CHDs because the emulators are made by Sony. As for the HDD I really don't know because I bought a 256GB SanDisk USB for a cleaner setup, I ended not using the PSC nor the PS3 like I said, even the Series S can run PSX with DuckStation at 4k and with a Brook adapter I use the PS3 controller and every game I've tried works beautifully, if I didn't have an Xbox SX I'd just use DuckStation on the PC. Apart from a real PSX or a PS2, the PSP, PS Vita, PS Vita TV, PS3 are all inferior to Beetle PSX or DuckStation.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Duckstation is too heavy for the PSC sadly, at least that's everyone says and the PS3 doesn't have a way to read CHDs because the emulators are made by Sony. As for the HDD I really don't know because I bought a 256GB SanDisk USB for a cleaner setup, I ended not using the PSC nor the PS3 like I said, even the Series S can run PSX with DuckStation at 4k and with a Brook adapter I use the PS3 controller and every game I've tried works beautifully, if I didn't have an Xbox SX I'd just use DuckStation on the PC. Apart from a real PSX or a PS2, the PSP, PS Vita, PS Vita TV, PS3 are all inferior to Beetle PSX or DuckStation.

Do you know why does Retroboot have 4 PS1 cores (as if the stock emulation wasn't enough)? I tried all 4 of them in the game I played before Tomb Raider and the display looked too pixelated in two of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken do you think any of them asked for a different tattoo? Like could I get a star of David...