Backup game saves before modding 2DS XL

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be modding a 2DS XL for a family member this weekend, they have game saves and a genuine NNID linked. What i would like to do is backup all game saves, factory reset; create a dummy NNID. Then install CFW.

Is the above process the best way to go or is there a better way to backup the saves before modding it?

Thanks

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, you can't do that. the saves would have to be decrypted first, and doing a system format changes the key used to encrypt the sd card data.

Reactions: Takokeshi

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hopefully you realize that factory reset aka "Format System Memory" is VERY destructive by definition and a step to avoid when caring about data. There is no point in creating a dummy NNID. Purchased content is tied to the previous "real" NNID (and can only be re-downloaded when linking the same account again after formatting).

Just in case: To move the old NNID to another console there is the official transfer tool.
===========

As for the question how to backup saves before modding:
I don't think it is a good idea, but it is doable.

This is harder than simply backing up after modding (Checkpoint/JKSM).
The problem with DRM infected devices like gaming consoles is that the end user does not have full access to the system by design (similar with smartphones but this goes off-topic). The consoles are designed in a way that gaining access to the decrypted saves is not intended (normally justified with something like "anti-cheat" or whatever pseudo-argument).
To get around those artificial hurdles, we normally have to gain full access first. However, in the case of the 3DS, backing up or decrypting saves is possible before modding by retrieving the KeyY part of movable.sed. This can be either done with the bruteforce (Seedminer) or by using ntrboot for starting GodMode9. Note that this way of backing up the saves is significantly more work, more complex and error-prone... and not beginner friendly.

My recommendation is backing up the console SD now (SDs go bad for no reason all the time) and simply following 3ds.hacks.guide

In any case:

Good luck and have fun!

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully you realize that factory reset aka "Format System Memory" is VERY destructive by definition and a step to avoid when caring about data. There is no point in creating a dummy NNID. Purchased content is tied to the previous "real" NNID (and can only be re-downloaded when linking the same account again after formatting).

Just in case: To move the old NNID to another console there is the official transfer tool.
===========

The problem with DRM infected devices like gaming consoles is that the end user does not have full access to the system by design (similar with smartphones but this goes off-topic). The consoles are designed in a way that gaining access to the decrypted saves is not intended (normally justified with something like "anti-cheat" or whatever pseudo-argument).
To get around those artificial hurdles, we normally have to gain full access first. However, in the case of the 3DS, backing up or decrypting saves is possible before modding by retrieving the KeyY part of movable.sed. This can be either done with the bruteforce (Seedminer) or by using ntrboot for starting GodMode9. Note that this way of backing up the saves is significantly more work, more complex and error-prone... and not beginner friendly.

My recommendation is backing up the console SD now (SDs go bad for no reason all the time) and simply following 3ds.hacks.guide

In any case:

Good luck and have fun!
Yeah, best option is to back-up the sd card then install cfw. You can then backup game saves easier using jksm or checkpoint homebrew apps on the 3ds/2ds.
When it comes to console modding I always factory reset and start fresh if a genuine account have ever been used. This way there is zero risk of any cached information being linked on the modded console to a genuine account, thus not getting it banned. - The family member uses the same account on 3DS as Switch, I did look at checkpoint which Ive used many times in the past. - Once it’s modded there will be no need to download the purchased games that are linked to the account. - So do you think I should just remove the NNID, create a dummy account then mod it? That way I don’t have to worry about saves?

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

===========

In any case:

Good luck and have fun!
I do have access to a card I flashed NTRBOOT on to. So what would the process be using NTRBOOT just to backup and decrypt saves. Then I’ll factory reset, dummy account and reinfect saves

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do have access to a card I flashed NTRBOOT on to. So what would the process be using NTRBOOT just to backup and decrypt saves. Then I’ll factory reset, dummy account and reinfect saves
Well, I guess I can't convince you that factory reset, start from scratch, start fresh... isn't a good idea. Same for the fact that there doesn't seem to be any ban risk on 3DS. I've done my part.

Since ntrboot can be performed completely offline, you can just follow the guide normally, install CFW, backup saves with Checkpoint/JKSM and use Format System Memory after that (I still wouldn't do that as it creates more work for nothing)

Or for the purist "I do not want to write to NAND" two possibilities:
A) ntrboot into Luma3DS
  • Have Luma3DS boot.firm and Homebrew Launcher boot.3dsx in the root of the SD as well as the .3dsx versions of JKSM/Checkpoint in SD:/3DS
  • Perform ntrboot, the OS will load with Luma3DS CFW if done correctly (nothing is modded though)
  • Rosalina injection for starting HB Launcher in "Download Play"
  • Use one or both of the save managers to backup the saves
B) ntrboot into GodMode9 (I'll not type that all out -- far too much work)
  • Have GodMode9.firm renamed to boot.firm in the root of your SD
  • Copy movable.sed to SD card
  • SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID 0>/<ID 1> can now be decrypted with ninfs and 3ds-save-tool can extract the saves

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Backup SD card, boot into godmode9 with ntrboot, make a nand backup.

Then boot into Luma while keeping the console offline, and run whichever app you prefer for backing up save data.

Then you can restore SD card contents and boot back into godmode9 (still with ntrboot), and restore nand backup.

This will ensure that the console and NNID will never be seen online with mods, if you are worried about that.

That being said, it's really not a worry. You're never going to get banned for this sort of thing, not anymore. That ship has sailed long ago, Nintendo only really cares about the Switch now. But if you're worried then this is always a viable method.

Then you can boot back into it and system transfer the NNID away to another console if you'd like, and *then* you can mod it and do your thing without having to worry.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I can't convince you that factory reset, start from scratch, start fresh... isn't a good idea. Same for the fact that there doesn't seem to be any ban risk on 3DS. I've done my part.

Since ntrboot can be performed completely offline, you can just follow the guide normally, install CFW, backup saves with Checkpoint/JKSM and use Format System Memory after that (I still wouldn't do that as it creates more work for nothing)

Or for the purist "I do not want to write to NAND" two possibilities:
A) ntrboot into Luma3DS
  • Have Luma3DS boot.firm and Homebrew Launcher boot.3dsx in the root of the SD as well as the .3dsx versions of JKSM/Checkpoint in SD:/3DS
  • Perform ntrboot, the OS will load with Luma3DS CFW if done correctly (nothing is modded though)
  • Rosalina injection for starting HB Launcher in "Download Play"
  • Use one or both of the save managers to backup the saves
B) ntrboot into GodMode9 (I'll not type that all out -- far too much work)
  • Have GodMode9.firm renamed to boot.firm in the root of your SD
  • Copy movable.sed to SD card
  • SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID 0>/<ID 1> can now be decrypted with ninfs and 3ds-save-tool can extract the saves
Backup SD card, boot into godmode9 with ntrboot, make a nand backup.

Then boot into Luma while keeping the console offline, and run whichever app you prefer for backing up save data.

Then you can restore SD card contents and boot back into godmode9 (still with ntrboot), and restore nand backup.

This will ensure that the console and NNID will never be seen online with mods, if you are worried about that.

That being said, it's really not a worry. You're never going to get banned for this sort of thing, not anymore. That ship has sailed long ago, Nintendo only really cares about the Switch now. But if you're worried then this is always a viable method.

Then you can boot back into it and system transfer the NNID away to another console if you'd like, and *then* you can mod it and do your thing without having to worry.
Just thought I’d follow up; I was going to use godmode9 to just remove the NNID and leave everything else intact. - I just asked if he cared if the device was factory reset and said he would lose this game saves etc. he didn’t care and said there wasn’t anything on there anyway. I feel better factory resetting and creating a dummy NNID since as suspected, he was using the same primary NNID on his 2DS as Switch and I know he has bought quite a few digitals in the past for Switch. - Homebrewed, set up with loads of content. I’ll set up DS playback using Twilight and forwarders next time I see him. - Thanks all for the comments.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1