Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
nope, it's been discussed over and over again, the 3x read speed is a hardware limitation built into the dvd drive for reading dvd-rom discs, and can only be overridden with a modchip.

Bunch of bullshit everything can be done first loader wasnt possible and now it is all its needs to be done is someone would need to write the dvd firmware and custom make it and it will work if not there is another possible ways to get around 3x speed around to make it 6x

Whtrvn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
who cares about the 3x limitation, for now anyways,sure maybe one day it will be resolve, or t may not. what we do know for now that it not jsut something that can be whipped together overnight, so there is no point in dragging on coversations about it. sure we have slow loading times, but game compatability can be fixed without touching the drive, ie bugfixes in the loader/cios, or downsampling FMV's to a lower bitrate that can be read at 3x, and repackaging the game.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycon said:
..... or downsampling FMV's to a lower bitrate that can be read at 3x, and repackaging the game.

Welcome to the world of dreamcast, where many games had their videos at a lower bitrate to fit on cds. The dreamcast had a special disc format called gd-rom (giga-disc) which were 1gb in size, all games that went over the 700mb limit had their movies downgraded. While a few single disc games got made into two disc games.

Personally I think its a good idea, but some games just have bad loading. *try playing a multiplayer game of Mario Party. no movies, but some of the loading times are ALMOST intolerable.*

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although it would be cool to load from the disc channel, I think it would be better to have a separate program to do it. (still unsure about what Wiigator meant by load from Wii sysmenu) Unless disc channel was modded and allowed you to boot games with different features. But then those features might get in the way of normal games. Also, I like the included Gecko OS support that it currently has.

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyfallkavu said:
But its already working, im on v1 of Wiigators backup channel. I was just wondering how to uninstall the cIOS you needed to install to get it working. I want to know how to uninstall it to get ready for the next release. It bothers me when I cant uninstall things.

OCD
smile.gif

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
that sounds similar to what i think it was bushing or marcan saying about modifying ios's in memory without writing anything to the nand.
maybe your pirate module gets injected somehow, or overwrites the original dip module?

all i can say is good work and i'm excited to see who will release it first and who's release willl be better (if there are actually separate releases).
i don't see how wiigator is going to use the system menu as a launcher without patching ios30, even if the patching is only in the ram of the starlet.
maybe he'll patch the system menu to use the cios, that might be easier/safer.

just out of curiosity, any1 here know how we might patch the system menu to use the cios? i had previously had the idea to disable the ios_reload call in the cios, but that could become a nuisance since the console would have to be shut down/unplugged to return to ios30. it would be fun to launch a pirate game from the system menu, but thinking about it now, i think it might not work since we're currently using patched games.

pirate == backup.. im sure
smile.gif

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rawalisb said:
Just wondering, is there any talk of a new version of wiigator's backup loader? I've heard that waninkoko's reconsidering his.

Last couple pages of this thread refer to beta testing a next release... Hang tight and read this entire thread... i just did. It is _VERY_ informative. Just print it ... get coffee or a joint and just read....

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of knowledge is needed to understand the code being used for the backup loader.. What language is it... i want to get my hands dirty and try to make logical sense of the code. Perhaps my inputs to the project could be helpful then.

I want to be part of this... testing.... ideas... mirroring ... what ever...

Dsthunder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The code used is ASM and C
it is pretty easy to interpret if you know where to look...

WiiGator, I would like to suggest an idea for the system's disk launcher, Please email me.

xshinox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so who here has tried Mario & Sonic at the olympic games with wiigator's? how long were your loads? i get 40 seconds per event. my friend keeps insisting there is no such thing as long loads for these back up launchers

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xshinox said:
so who here has tried Mario & Sonic at the olympic games with wiigator's? how long were your loads? i get 40 seconds per event. my friend keeps insisting there is no such thing as long loads for these back up launchers

Well, don't listen to your friend. As you've read in the thread, the load times are due to current hardware limitation. Extended load times are inevitable.

Email your friend the link to the thread.. the developers are live on the scene.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
and you got exactly that point wrong. the loading times a not due to the hardware limitation (3x drive speed). they are due to a badly coded loader and cios. the approach the loader works leads to those difficulties. wiigator is working with a new approach. loading the backups via on the fly patched system menu and not through a hacked together custom ios.

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
and you got exactly that point wrong. the loading times a not due to the hardware limitation (3x drive speed). they are due to a badly coded loader and cios. the approach the loader works leads to those difficulties. wiigator is working with a new approach. loading the backups via on the fly patched system menu and not through a hacked together custom ios.

Then i will re-phrase myself. Current Limitations.

Because it is inevitable that the scene will produce an application that finds a way around the speed issue.

So its a software limitation, Screemer? Can any developers confirm?

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think wiigator is still using a custom ios since the game itself makes dvd read calls, so unless the game or ios is patched, the calls will fail with a backup disc. the ios is the system driver that actually permits the game to access the drive.

i'm pretty sure all the system menu does is start the game, like launching an exe file in windows. then the game runs (mostly) on its own. im not sure but i think the home menu screen could actually be a part of/called from the ios (when you push home during a game), but if you think about it, that menu doesn't show up when running homebrew. so just because you hack the system menu to use the dvd video calls doesn't mean that games would function once launched.

crazyguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Screemer said:

Listen to the man he knows what he says...

It's true some people with modchips tested games with 3x speed and the videos were fine just a slightly longer loading time...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Zynthrodak @ Zynthrodak: Alr reset it once cause all homebrew kept crashing