Homebrew Backup Old 3DS XL to new hardware?

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS software is fine, but my system's hardware has been giving me issues and I'm not sure what's wrong.

1. My 3DS shoulder hinge won't click in place anymore like its supposed, and the top screen won't stay in place depending on the angle its held in (it will either open up or close down itself).
2. My game card slot will stop reading cartridges every now and then (almost like a failing DVD drive).

I also have CFW and a few games and cias installed.

Simply put, can I just back up my 3DS Nand via Hourglass to either a new Old 3DS XL or a New 3DS XL? Because I don't think I can fix this issue or know anyone else who can.

Toady231

Intellectual saviour of the masses
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you do you will brick the new console. Best way is to get a new 3ds. Back up your 3ds card then perform system transfer and then hack the new 3ds and reinsert the old sd card and you should be good to go.

1. Back up sd card
2. Hack the new 3ds
3. Perform a system transfer.
4. Use the sd card in the new ststem.
5. Profit??

Reactions: Quantumcat

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do you will brick the new console. Best way is to get a new 3ds. Back up your 3ds card then perform system transfer and then hack the new 3ds and reinsert the old sd card and you should be good to go.

1. Back up sd card
2. Hack the new 3ds
3. Perform a system transfer.
4. Use the sd card in the new ststem.
5. Profit??

So install CFW/Luma3DS/Hourglass9 (everything from the guide), then transfer everything from the old 3DS (at least what the system transfer will actually carry over), then restore the nand from the old 3DS. My physical games are safe no matter what, but what about dlc, any downloads/purchases before I registered my NNID, cias, custom VC games, themes, streetpass mii plaza, system data (AR Games, face raiders, amiibo, etc.).

I want to bring over every last thing to a more stable hardware, and play like nothing changed (other than the micro sd card).

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So install CFW/Luma3DS/Hourglass9 (everything from the guide), then transfer everything from the old 3DS (at least what the system transfer will actually carry over), then restore the nand from the old 3DS. My physical games are safe no matter what, but what about dlc, any downloads/purchases before I registered my NNID, cias, custom VC games, themes, streetpass mii plaza, system data (AR Games, face raiders, amiibo, etc.).

I want to bring over every last thing to a more stable hardware, and play like nothing changed (other than the micro sd card).
If you try to restore a NAND backup from another console you'll brick.
Just do a system transfer...

Toady231

Intellectual saviour of the masses
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Do not transfer the nand the system transfer will transfer your nnid id over and your tickets of legit games. So you should back up all your saves and your 3ds card.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on, hourglass9? Are you running b9s? Hourglass9 is severely outdated, so I'm hoping the rest of your setup isn't behind as well. Anyway, do you have a nds flashcart? If you don't, installing cfw onto the new console will take a bit longer. The guide goes into more detail, but what you have to essentially do is download a 2 dollar dsiware game on the modded 3ds, inject an installer into it, and system transfer over to your new console. I would backup your sd card and nand before doing all of this just in case. All of your data will carry over to the new 3ds during this process. If you do have that flashcart, things are the same, only you don't need to install the game and inject he installer. Instead, you use it to install b9s on the new console, then do a normal system transfer. Just, for the love of God, DO NOT RESTORE YOUR OLD 3DS NAND ONTO THE NEW 3DS! It should stop you before you do this, but just in case, do not try that.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on, hourglass9? Are you running b9s? Hourglass9 is severely outdated, so I'm hoping the rest of your setup isn't behind as well. Anyway, do you have a nds flashcart? If you don't, installing cfw onto the new console will take a bit longer. The guide goes into more detail, but what you have to essentially do is download a 2 dollar dsiware game on the modded 3ds, inject an installer into it, and system transfer over to your new console. I would backup your sd card and nand before doing all of this just in case. All of your data will carry over to the new 3ds during this process. If you do have that flashcart, things are the same, only you don't need to install the game and inject he installer. Instead, you use it to install b9s on the new console, then do a normal system transfer. Just, for the love of God, DO NOT RESTORE YOUR OLD 3DS NAND ONTO THE NEW 3DS! It should stop you before you do this, but just in case, do not try that.

So all I have to do is just install cfw and do a normal Nintendo system transfer?

What won't get transferred over?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all I have to do is just install cfw and do a normal Nintendo system transfer?

What won't get transferred over?
Not sure. I forget if there are server checks that make sure if the game is legit or not, or if it just doesnt transfer illigitimate tickets. what i do know is that everything will be transferred 100 percent positive if you backup your sd card, since the target 3ds will be able to use the old 3ds's sd card. Make a nand backup too just in case.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure. I forget if there are server checks that make sure if the game is legit or not, or if it just doesnt transfer illigitimate tickets. what i do know is that everything will be transferred 100 percent positive if you backup your sd card, since the target 3ds will be able to use the old 3ds's sd card. Make a nand backup too just in case.
What about cias like LOZ Four Swords Anniversary, FBI, and Themely, or custom VCs like WarioWare Twisted.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about cias like LOZ Four Swords Anniversary, FBI, and Themely, or custom VCs like WarioWare Twisted.
FBI and homebrew apps will not be transferred. Custom vc injects will not be transferred. But, again, if you backup your sd card, which isnt too necessary but do it just in case, then put the sd card in the target 3ds everything will be there. the only thing im not so sure about is four swords, as it's installed to the nand. the worst case scenario is you lose your save, but im pretty sure installing the ticket for it will bring it back.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FBI and homebrew apps will not be transferred. Custom vc injects will not be transferred. But, again, if you backup your sd card, which isnt too necessary but do it just in case, then put the sd card in the target 3ds everything will be there. the only thing im not so sure about is four swords, as it's installed to the nand. the worst case scenario is you lose your save, but im pretty sure installing the ticket for it will bring it back.
And how do I do that. I got the file online, and I'm not sure if its a legit copy or not. It works fine on its own. And would I be able to reinstall FBI.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how do I do that. I got the file online, and I'm not sure if its a legit copy or not. It works fine on its own. And would I be able to reinstall FBI.
Dont worry about it for now. You can install all tickets back afterwards with tikshop, but you will be completely fine and everything will be kept. I believe you can backup your save with jksm anyway. Everything is fine as long as you make a nand backup and backup your sd card.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont worry about it for now. You can install all tickets back afterwards with tikshop, but you will be completely fine and everything will be kept. I believe you can backup your save with jksm anyway. Everything is fine as long as you make a nand backup and backup your sd card.

So when do I get to use my nand backup, if restoring my old 3ds nand on a new 3ds bricks it?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when do I get to use my nand backup, if restoring my old 3ds nand on a new 3ds bricks it?
The nand backup is to restore everything on the console it came from.... After you do a system transfer, restore the NAND backup to the console it came from and you'll essentially have a duplicate of your console.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The nand backup is to restore everything on the console it came from.... After you do a system transfer, restore the NAND backup to the console it came from and you'll essentially have a duplicate of your console.

So I'll have two different version of data: What was carried over on the New 3DS and what was backed up on the Old 3DS (possibly for reference).

So how do backup saves for DSi games (Four Swords Anniversary) and custom VC games (WarioWare Twisted).

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'll have two different version of data: What was carried over on the New 3DS and what was backed up on the Old 3DS (possibly for reference).

So how do backup saves for DSi games (Four Swords Anniversary) and custom VC games (WarioWare Twisted).
Again, I'm not too sure for now. What I do know is that i'll know what to do once you do a system transfer and we see what happens to four swords. There's a good chance it does carry over. If it doesn't, there's probably other methods, since if you backed up your o3ds nand you'll still have it on that console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0