Hacking bad blocks & nandclean

lithium210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use my wii as a test subject before adding anything to my friends wii's but the only concern that i have is why my wii has 3 bad blocks when trying to dump with bootmii. Ive softmodded a friends wii awhile back on 3.2, it had cioscorp, preloader, starfall hacks, etc. anyways i ran anyregion changer to reinstall 3.2 on his so i can get bootmii on there and did a nanddump of his & it came out clean, no bad blocks. on mine, i have 4.1 installed, followed a guide to get rid of preloader & dvdx on mine (including reinstalling the system menu BEFORE running nandclean). When i tried dumping my nand, i had 3 bad blocks which did say it corrected. Just curious to why i would have 3 of them. my wii's running fine, no problems at all.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
nand memory is difficult to manufacture. there's always the chance of some bad blocks, that's normal
they have been marked as bad and will not be used to store data, so there's no risk of things going wrong

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii's generally come with bad blocks, I've always had one and I have 2, its working fine.

At that number it shouldn't be anything to worry about from what I remember, it generally comes with a few factory bad blocks.

http://bootmii.org/faq/

Check that out, up to 80 blocks can be bad and your Wii will still be shipped and work pretty much fine.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well as i understand bad blocks aren't that much of a big deal and are quite normal if you only have 3-4, i have 5 and have suffered no bad effects

EDIT: guess you can up to 80
blink.gif

lithium210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow 80!? thanks for the replies.. yeah im not worried about my wii just curious to why there would be any bad blocks. Also i guess a bit jealous my friends wii has NONE! lol

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
NAND Clean is only to remove preloader, it didn't clean up more than this piece of code.

Bad Blocks are (mostly?) marked by factory as bad and it's no problem to have three bad blocks.
The Wii didn't use this blocks and this is normal and no problem.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
meh, i have 15 bad blocks and its absolutely nothing to worry about.

if they threw away every nand chip with a bad block, they would cost a fortune to make, hence why they make them with a bit of extra storage, that way if there are bad blocks, they mark them as such, and nothing is ever stored on them, and use the "backup" storage instead.

as already mentioned, as long as its less than 80, its fine.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
illinialex24 said:
Wii's generally come with bad blocks, I've always had one and I have 2, its working fine.

At that number it shouldn't be anything to worry about from what I remember, it generally comes with a few factory bad blocks.

http://bootmii.org/faq/

Check that out, up to 80 blocks can be bad and your Wii will still be shipped and work pretty much fine.

Yep, the bootmii page explain this perfect, of the total 4096 blocks only 4016 are valid (usable), so it give a total of 80 blocks that will never be used, kinda like a security mesure, since factory bad blocks are too common.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
There´s a PDF document on Bootmii page concerning Wii nand blocks.

Even if a bad block contains usefull data, the blocks are remaped in order not lose that data.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Data is transfer from bad blocks to good blocks, it´s a light way to explain, I don´t know the whole process in detail, check the Bootmii page or check flash memory on wiki.

lithium210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so its completely random which wii's have bad blocks? Figured bad blocks had to do with preloader and dvdx being on there or installing so may different wads over and over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw