Hacking Battery Problem After

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry i did not read the previous pages of this thread because (im too lazy to atm.)

and anyway thx for the clarification, but honestly i wont disable autorcm, because i do not want to hurt my switch ._.
i keep sticking foil in it to boot into rcm when i first tried the hack.

and btw. so you mean to say whoever is using tx os and even while in the homemenu, puts their switch in sleep mode will have battery issues?
or is it like you play something and battery hits the range 15-30% theres a chance of it powering off?

i have not had this issue yet because i have not played until my battery hit below 40.

Well good news. I just verified SX OS autorcm recovered from a completely dead state on my own switch since I was low enough on battery to do the process again.

Still, I've just tested this on my own switch and would recommend others to turn it off for this process just until others besides myself can also confirm.

so you mean to say whoever is using tx os and even while in the homemenu, puts their switch in sleep mode will have battery issues?
or is it like you play something and battery hits the range 15-30% theres a chance of it powering off?

i have not had this issue yet because i have not played until my battery hit below 40.

No, once you are booted into SX OS you are in Horizon OS (Switch firmware). I'm saying the bootloader menu you get from SX OS before you boot in to switch firmware that allows you to select to boot into SX, Stock, or payload firmware.

Typically, this is bypassed automatically when you have license.dat on the root of your SD card.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
No, once you are booted into SX OS you are in Horizon OS (Switch firmware). I'm saying the bootloader menu you get from SX OS before you boot in to switch firmware that allows you to select to boot into SX, Stock, or payload firmware.

Typically, this is bypassed automatically when you have license.dat on the root of your SD card.
yes but im abit confused on your 'fixing' battery issue part.

i know that my switch auto boots into cfw state when i send the payload.
and well i think holding the L button while sending payload will boot it into RCM mode where we can select to boot into cfw/official and do other stuff.

but what would i need to do to fix battery problems, let me know and i'll give it a go once im homes.

thefunkygibbon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just adding my 2p worth.
With autorcm installed and using SX. With the unit switched off (proper shutdown, not plugged anything in to usb after) 100% > 70% in about 3 hours
Sleep mode using SX in horizon - 100% > 96% In about 4 hours.

Just in process of retesting now I've disabled autorcm

Reactions: Shadow LAG

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes but im abit confused on your 'fixing' battery issue part.

i know that my switch auto boots into cfw state when i send the payload.
and well i think holding the L button while sending payload will boot it into RCM mode where we can select to boot into cfw/official and do other stuff.

but what would i need to do to fix battery problems, let me know and i'll give it a go once im homes.
It sounds like you may have your concepts / terminology mixed up. RCM mode is not where you select anything, that is the SX OS boot menu. RCM mode is where you power on the switch and the screen stays black.

So, with that clarified, hold the button combo to get into the SX OS boot menu. Select to boot into normal / stock horizon (non-cfw). Follow the steps below as normal. If you cannot get to 100% charge for some reason (haven't seen that issue yet, just the premature shut off problem) just let it charge as far as it will hold and follow the steps below as normal.

1. Within Horizon (switch OS) let the battery charge to 100%
2. Unplug charger with sleep mode off, leave screen on
3. Let the switch shut itself off
4. Boot into RCM mode and let the switch drain itself until payloads are no longer deploying and it isn't turning on. (Typically overnight drain)
5. Boot into RCM, plug in a charger, and let the switch charge in RCM mode for 45 minutes (you won't see charging indicator)
6. Plug in your SX OS dongle, or connect your pc/phone to redeploy a payload, and boot into stock horizon OS (non-cfw).
7. This does the same as pull the battery as it drains itself completely beyond normal safe measures. You should now see the switch is at 3% and needs charged. Immediately plug in charger and let it charge to 100%

Last edited by Shadow LAG,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It sounds like you may have your concepts / terminology mixed up. RCM mode is not where you select anything, that is the SX OS boot menu. RCM mode is where you power on the switch and the screen stays black.

So, with that clarified, hold the button combo to get into the SX OS boot menu. Select to boot into normal / stock horizon (non-cfw). Follow the steps below as normal. If you cannot get to 100% charge for some reason (haven't seen that issue yet, just the premature shut off problem) just let it charge as far as it will hold and follow the steps below as normal.

1. Within Horizon (switch OS) let the battery charge to 100%
2. Unplug charger with sleep mode off, leave screen on
3. Let the switch shut itself off
4. Boot into RCM mode and let the switch drain itself until payloads are no longer deploying and it isn't turning on. (Typically overnight drain)
5. Boot into RCM, plug in a charger, and let the switch charge in RCM mode for 45 minutes (you won't see charging indicator)
6. Plug in your SX OS dongle, or connect your pc/phone to redeploy a payload, and boot into stock horizon OS (non-cfw).
7. This does the same as pull the battery as it drains itself completely beyond normal safe measures. You should now see the switch is at 3% and needs charged. Immediately plug in charger and let it charge to 100%

1) does RCM mode stays in RCM mode indefinitely if were to left without payload input? ie. after confirming in RCM mode with TegraRCM (once battery depleted in horizon), unplug usb and leave it there overnight for full drainage
2) would it work if i were to left it in SX OS boot menu selection instead to completely drain the battery?

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
So, with that clarified, hold the button combo to get into the SX OS boot menu.
yes sorry had it mixed up, rcm is where it stays black and waits for the payload.
so once i send the payload for tx , what button do i hold pressed to have it stay in the menu and not auto boot into cfw.?

and i have not had the powering off issue, and i am able to have my switch charge fully to 100% but i did notice it is slower than usual.
not extremely slower but it is slower while in cfw state.

btw. i charge it while docked, not sure if charging from adapter directly form wall would charge it faster. (but i have the feeling it would.)

jiV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Linux on switch fucks with the battery. to fix it just disconnect the battery and reconnect it to let the switch recalibrate the battery.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) does RCM mode stays in RCM mode indefinitely if were to left without payload input? ie. after confirming in RCM mode with TegraRCM (once battery depleted in horizon), unplug usb and leave it there overnight for full drainage

RCM mode will stay in RCM mode without launching a payload, correct. This is how I accidentally killed my switch battery. It may be easier to let it drain from payload, then let RCM drain the rest of the way since screen content and backlight will give it a push.

2) would it work if i were to left it in SX OS boot menu selection instead to completely drain the battery?

No. The point is to fix the battery desync which requires the capcitors to drain and memory cleared. This can only be achieved through starving the battery, or disconnecting it. Leaving it in the SX OS boot menu can actually cause the desync since it is running outside of horizon.

yes sorry had it mixed up, rcm is where it stays black and waits for the payload.
so once i send the payload for tx , what button do i hold pressed to have it stay in the menu and not auto boot into cfw.?

and i have not had the powering off issue, and i am able to have my switch charge fully to 100% but i did notice it is slower than usual.
not extremely slower but it is slower while in cfw state.

btw. i charge it while docked, not sure if charging from adapter directly form wall would charge it faster. (but i have the feeling it would.)

This is not a battery desync problem. This looks like a battery charging bug with SX OS. Try testing with autorcm disabled and switch booting into normal firmware and let me know if you still have the issue.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i will try the easier method first, i will boot into ofw and charge and see how it goes.

Sure but you do realize that if you have to update your switch it kills autorcm. The fact you a relying on that feature so heavily is probably not a good thing if you can't re-enter RCM easily yourself. It's been noted RCM booting the OS can cause charging oddities so you really aren't eleminating a huge possible culprit here, but what ever floats your boat :P

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Sure but you do realize that if you have to update your switch it kills autorcm. The fact you a relying on that feature so heavily is probably not a good thing if you can't re-enter RCM easily yourself. It's been noted RCM booting the OS can cause charging oddities so you really aren't eleminating a huge possible culprit here, but what ever floats your boat :P
yes i have alot of foil at home so i could always get back into rcm if in case i need to.
but how else are you going to re-enable the tx cfw if you dont go into rcm first?

i find it incredibly tiring to keep needing foil if in case i power off every now and then :l
that is why i like autrcm.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
well fml. let my switch dead completely and now cant charge it back on even after leaving it over 1 hour. black screen. no battery indicator, nothing.
rcm works but only stay in screen for 2 seconds after payload load. what a shitty battery

tyler004

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some one released a software fix today it worked great for me it's a payload u load then just follow instructions and done

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well fml. let my switch dead completely and now cant charge it back on even after leaving it over 1 hour. black screen. no battery indicator, nothing.
rcm works but only stay in screen for 2 seconds after payload load. what a shitty battery

If you have autorcm you won't see a battery indicator. Just leave it on the charger for 45 minutes. If that doesn't work, just leave it overnight on the charger. It does charge in RCM mode, just really slowly and it doesn't show you indication of this. You will know once you can boot into horizon from payload. Just put it on charger, take it off and try a payload to boot to horizon, soon as you see Nintendo logo to keep from triggering the low battery shut down.

yes i have alot of foil at home so i could always get back into rcm if in case i need to.
but how else are you going to re-enable the tx cfw if you dont go into rcm first?

i find it incredibly tiring to keep needing foil if in case i power off every now and then :l
that is why i like autrcm.

Just for testing. You will need it with every update. That is why I recommend you buy a joycon rail (not switch rail) off of eBay or elsewhere. If you don't have soldering skills no sweat, just touch one end of a wire to the fan shroud and the other end to the giant point on the exposed joycon rail. No need to mess up your pins.

Hopefully, SX OS actually incorporates the proper battery driver for it's payload soon.

That looks dangerous for Autorcm users. It forces the battery in a state that can only be rectified by plugging in the USB cable? Can you verify that is not reliant on the bootloader?

EDIT: It's been confirmed RCM will also trigger BATFET meaning it is safe to use for AutoRCM users. This is the solution I would recommend moving forward. Everyone can disregard my previous workarounds/fixes as they are now outdated and overshadowed by the payload located in the thread SomeGamer has provided.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Just for testing. You will need it with every update. That is why I recommend you buy a joycon rail (not switch rail) off of eBay or elsewhere. If you don't have soldering skills no sweat, just touch one end of a wire to the fan shroud and the other end to the giant point on the exposed joycon rail. No need to mess up your pins.

Hopefully, SX OS actually incorporates the proper battery driver for it's payload soon.
hey mate, yesterday i tried to get my switch as low as i could, i played in handheld mode while it was at 60% until i went down to 20% and no problems popped up.
all was fine and dandy, so i guess i dont rly have any battery issues after all.

Reactions: Shadow LAG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...