Gaming best anti virus program

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Like I've always said in every AV thread till now...

I work as a PC technician, so these are statistics gathered by me on the field in a few years of work:

Almost every PC with malware/virus problems that comes in has Avast. Avast looks to be completely useless in most cases and av-comparatives.org reflects this. I've also had cases where Avast gave problems to the PC (BSODs, freezes, slowdowns) itself.

PCs with AVG and Avira are the ones with less malware on them (I refer to the sheer number of crap that enters the PCs. They're not invulnerable, but they get a lt less crap on them than the others do).

Keep in mind that the PCs that come in are used by the most PC-impaired people around (families, little kids, old people), so they're under a FAR larger risk of getting malware than a normal forum user would. Which is a perfect situation to make a statistic like this one.

Anyways, tl;dr: avast is crap.

What do you think about NOD32?
Eh, I haven't seen a recent version in years (only old versions installed, y'know those cheap pre-cracked ones), so I can't really judge on it.

It's still being sold? :P I have seen it so rarely that I thought they went out of business or something.

The three major AVs around are Avast, AVG and Avira around here, so those are the ones I see the most. Oh, and also Norton.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You really should differentiate between free and paid software suites. AVG and Avira suck, Avast I don't think much about, and cracked paid AV suites are dangerous by nature. Paid AV suites on the other hand have much more resources to throw into creating better software. That's why NOD32 and Kaspersky are high up the rankings and Norton and McAffee are shunned as aggressive money grubbing.....

MSE if you're free, KAV if you're paid, NOD32 if you're old-school. And no matter what you get, AntiMalware on the side is a must.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There is no best antivirus, and every av will miss out some malware. To minimize the chance of this happening, you can use several AVs at once but many combinations will cause system instability or severely impact performance. I found Avira and Comodo to be a good working combo and I've been using it for many years now without issues.

Guitfiddle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using various anti virus softwares for years and this time I decided to go a different way and try ZenOK Free Antivirus. I had gone through various reviews and they had strong reviews. It comes with ultra light scan which is goof for me and I installed it flawlessly on three machines. The best thing about zenok is that it pays attention to all the little details.All other softwares may be slightly better when it comes to removal, detection and prevention. With virus technology evolving all the time, reviews on current threats doesn't really mean much but rather the old ones.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the AVG and Malwarebytes combo for several years with no problem whatsoever. I switched to MSE about a year ago and kept Malwarebytes and I'm still good. I completely agree with all of the above posts that "user common sense" is the best prevention for virii infection and have concluded that if and when I do acquire a virus it will probably be due to a different user on my box that is a little more lackadaisical. My backup plan in the event of the latter is setting up my comp's boot order to boot from the optical drive first and keeping a copy of Lucid Puppy under my mousepad.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
currently i am using Eset Smart Security 5. i use ess from the beginning of time xD. note i'm a frequent downloader and also a gamer and have not suffered an virus attacks up to date. Avast is a goood choice too, but i recommend eset smart security

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.