user0002

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I've been trying to learn C++ now for a while but find it very difficult. What are good C++ books (up-to-date, simple enough etc) for a beginner to get the basics? So far I've been following some tutorials on the web and PDF books I've found.

user0002

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Urza said:

That's good but I was looking for something like people actually having read a c++ book and having an opinion about it whether it's good or not.
rolleyes.gif

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read the C and C++ "for Dummies" books when I was trying to learn. Don't have the links to hand, but they were the 6/7 in 1 books rather than the Desktop guides. They were quite good for a beginner, they used humour to try and keep the drier subjects interesting, but it was still a hard slog. They got me through my two programming modules at Uni if that counts as a recommendation!?!

Whilst you said you've already been doing tutorials on the net, I still found that I learnt more from that and Google than I did from the books. I think you just need to find a project that you want to achieve and work at it slowly, building up your knowledge, rather than typing "Hello World" in a console.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you know C?

If not you should learn that first.. then understand how Object Orientation works and then move up to C++.

That's what I think is best.. and there are plenty of resources on the Internet, don't think that a book is really necessary.

user0002

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
CockroachMan said:
Do you know C?

If not you should learn that first.. then understand how Object Orientation works and then move up to C++.

That's what I think is best.. and there are plenty of resources on the Internet, don't think that a book is really necessary.

I'm not familiar with C but it was Stroustrup himself who's said that nowadays one should start with C++ instead of C.

And I've followed some tutorials that I've found on the internet but it seems that there's a really steep learning curve. I guess I just have to keep hitting my head against the wall until I've learned the basic stuff well enough.

Frozen_Fish

Trophies
XP
Country
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to mention C is more or less dead
C++ starting to go that way also but C# hasnt really gotten popular yet

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you want to learn programming go to college/university and take a course, you'll only learn so much from reading books.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mrSmiles said:
if you want to learn programming go to college/university and take a course, you'll only learn so much from reading books.
University programming course are mostly a joke.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
so true, but life seems to be getting better for future kids.

I mean for my batch, it was something like welcome to the world of programming, here's some really basic info that u can get off the net, and see ya. Have a problem? Google it buhahahaha

O for assignment, you will be doing complex stuff.

Now, it's more like hi guys, welcome to the world of programming, here, let me explain each concept to you? Have a problem, well, let me have a look and give you some hint.

user0002

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Frozen_Fish said:
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can recommend the Addison Wesley Books for example (since i have only the german books i try to translate
smile.gif
)
C++ for advanced starters,
C++ Codebook,
Objectoriented programming with C++
there are many more books with more specific topics (C++ with Borland, Windows programming and so on)

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.

It does
wtf.gif
guess i should be glad that i wasnt able to borrow that book...

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:

If it does, then that's not the book I recommended! Maybe that's a different edition, I can tell you for a fact that it's not in the copy I've got. Although that does raise the problem of knowing what edition of each book people are recommending...

user0002

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Magoo222 said:
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:

If it does, then that's not the book I recommended! Maybe that's a different edition, I can tell you for a fact that it's not in the copy I've got. Although that does raise the problem of knowing what edition of each book people are recommending...

It was 5th edition from 2004.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...