Homebrew Best DS emulator for 3DS ?

skullkeeper94

Professional USB Corrupter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not an emulator first of all. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But TWLoader is the best way to my knowledge without a flashcart.
If you want really good compatibility, aim for an R4 of some type. I've never used one though so I couldn't tell you.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can launch games stored on the SD card or flashcard, from the HOME Menu.
SD card game compatibility is the same as TWLoader's, because they both use nds-bootstrap.

Do you need the DS ROMs and the CIA files or just the CIA files? And what's this donor ROM stuff? Do you have to launch Mario Kart DS every time and then load the other DS games? I wasn't clear on that part.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: ratmandom

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need the DS ROMs and the CIA files or just the CIA files?
The DS ROMs should be either in the SD card or flashcard, depending on what you're using.
The generated .nds files that start with "forwarder" aren't needed. You just need the CIA files.
And what's this donor ROM stuff? Do you have to launch Mario Kart DS every time and then load the other DS games?
No. Just launch it once for setting it as donor ROM. While launching MKDS, hold Y before the Nintendo logo appears (not the DS splash), to set it as donor ROM.

Reactions: ratmandom

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS ROMs should be either in the SD card or flashcard, depending on what you're using.

No. Just launch it once for setting it as donor ROM. While launching MKDS, hold Y before the Nintendo logo appears (not the DS splash), to set it as donor ROM.

Using the micro SD that came with my 2DS XL, but is it specific where the ROMs go? And as for the donor ROM CIA, I install that first, hold Y while it loads, then from there I don't need to
do anything else? Just want to be sure, and thank you.

Edit: Never mind, derp, figured it out, I'll try again.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Which is actually still meh when you get down to it. Most games either don't run or are rather choppy
Anyways...

What are so good flashcarts?
Actual cart speed and the ability to play every single DS game. Coupled with features like multi-saves, cheats, some carts have an RTS, etc. Basically flashcarts in the DS scene is better overall compared to emulation, especially on the 3DS.
Coupled with the fact that you flash several of them to use NTRBoot and exploit every single system on any OFW (current and future) to install B9S for your CFW needs.
I highly suggest checking out the R4i Gold
http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: CrimsonMaple

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is actually still meh when you get down to it. Most games either don't run or are rather choppy

Actual cart speed and the ability to play every single DS game. Coupled with features like multi-saves, cheats, some carts have an RTS, etc. Basically flashcarts in the DS scene is better overall compared to emulation, especially on the 3DS.
Coupled with the fact that you flash several of them to use NTRBoot and exploit every single system on any OFW (current and future) to install B9S for your CFW needs.
I highly suggest checking out the R4i Gold
http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149
For nds-bootstrap, games that are 28MB or below, actually run at cart speed or faster, due to them being loaded into the 32MB of RAM.
Even though it's a nice advantage over flashcarts, along with IR support, still, not all games work.

Reactions: the_randomizer

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For nds-bootstrap, games that are 28MB or below, actually run at cart speed or faster, due to them being loaded into the 32MB of RAM.
Even though it's a nice advantage over flashcarts, along with IR support, still, not all games work.
I am aware of that fact, in fact I made my own extreme trimmed version of Dawn of Sorrows just to test this out.
I am not hating on the project and I personally suggest users give it a try, it's free. So the only thing someone is wasting is their time and nothing more. At the same time I can't just yet advice users use this over a flashcart. It's the best method of playing DS game without a flashcart, but it can't yet replace flashcarts.

Reactions: RocketRobz

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am aware of that fact, in fact I made my own extreme trimmed version of Dawn of Sorrows just to test this out.
I am not hating on the project and I personally suggest users give it a try, it's free. So the only thing someone is wasting is their time and nothing more. At the same time I can't just yet advice users use this over a flashcart. It's the best method of playing DS game without a flashcart, but it can't yet replace flashcarts.
Depends on the game really. MKDS and Super Mario 64 run almost flawlessly. Mario & Luigi: PiT has some lag when transitioning screens, but is perfectly playable and most homebrew runs flawless.

Also, iirc you don't need to trim bigger games, the trimmed version is loaded into RAM automagically and padding is removed.

To OP: Give TWLoader a shot before you buy a flashcart. It's in very active development, and if it already runs the games you want to play at good quality, you've saved yourself 10 bucks and the riskiness associated with those sites.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Depends on the game really. MKDS and Super Mario 64 run almost flawlessly. Mario & Luigi: PiT has some lag when transitioning screens, but is perfectly playable and most homebrew runs flawless.

Also, iirc you don't need to trim bigger games, the trimmed version is loaded into RAM automagically and padding is removed.
Games that can load into RAM should run at cart speed.
The ultra trim version of DoS I made is actually a version where I removed the intro video. The video was 21MB large and deleting it brought the game down to small enough to fit in RAM.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Ready to sail the high seas