Best front-end for MAME+Retroarch?

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, my dad brought a mini PC to use as an emulation box, I tested some emulators and it runs pretty well but we are using the keyboard+mouse combo to load the games, I decided to search for a front-end so I could skip Windows's GUI, have the artwork, game name and etc for MAME+ other consoles and control everything via Xbox 360 controller.

I tried some front-ends like EmulationStation and HyperSpin but I got hit with a few problems like EmulationStation lacking support for MAME databases(So every game keeps the short, basename) and HyperSpin needs some access to the FTP, which is donate only(Same for getting images for it, since EmuMovies also got a limit on how much you can download everyday unless you donate, I also tried to get torrents of these, I found most stuff for HyperSpin) and it is kinda hard to configure(I actually got MAME to launch and run the games, but I still need the themes, make HyperSpin accept joystick input, etc.

I actually found some other options like GameEx(But it is limited until you paid for the full version) and mGalaxy(Doesn't have support for RetroArch, which is not a big deal for me, but I kinda wanted to have few files and programs around), but I haven't tested them yet.

So fellow tempers, what do you recommend for a multi-emulator frontend?

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use QuickPlay. It's not the prettiest app I've ever used, but it sure does work well if you're willing to put in the effort to get it all set up.

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Game EX is the best in my opinion.
Configuration is easy compared to hyperspin.
I don'use RetroArch but if it supports command line it shoulrk with Game EX.
Limitations are for iso decompress support (launch Dreamcast, PSX iso zipped) and the 20secs nag screen!

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Hyperspin is a pain in the ass to setup, but if you're successful, the pay off is worth it. I personally like Hyperspin's graphical interface, but I've put off Hyperspin for now, because it gets frustrating.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just so yo know . front-end means the display for either customers, suppliers, management and employees.

Its like a user-interface and has nothing at all todo with emulators and such .

So, please can someone come up with a better name? Actually Hyperspin is more like back-end-system where
all games, configurations etc is in the data management of the programme . not the FRONT.

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as is word, spotify, safari, firefox, all pc games, all adobe programmes, and all other programmes. :)
Dude... When dealing with software, Front end is the equivalent to user-interface. It's used in client servers as well. On the backend, Hyperspin, is linking together emulators with a unified gui. Meanwhile, on the front end, it is providing the user with an interface.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not that its total legal but what emulator is? you can look into a torrent called hyperspin projekt . itsa torrent for the frontend (emulators n configurations) you just need to get the games as well, and most systems are available as well o torrents .

as of hyperspin i payed VIP there and at gamevideos, the guys that did videos to retro games.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
not that its total legal but what emulator is? you can look into a torrent called hyperspin projekt . itsa torrent for the frontend (emulators n configurations) you just need to get the games as well, and most systems are available as well o torrents .

as of hyperspin i payed VIP there and at gamevideos, the guys that did videos to retro games.

I saw some torrents already configurated, but I want to make it like I want instead of getting something already done.
Also every emulator is legal, you can use an emulator for running your own made backups(Which are legal AFAIK) and homebrew, which are free.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Just be cautious with those torrents you are talking about, as they are older versions of HyperSpin and game databases. It will work fine as it is, but if you go to update HyperSpin at all you will start to run into problems and be better off doing a fresh install instead. Games have been renamed, new configuration programs added, new features like HyperPause, new modules for emulators, GIT now used to update HyperSpin, the list goes on and on.

When you go to drop the games in make sure they match the older database files found in those torrents as well, or you will have so much "fun" renaming many of them.

Reactions: matpower

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be cautious with those torrents you are talking about, as they are older versions of HyperSpin and game databases. It will work fine as it is, but if you go to update HyperSpin at all you will start to run into problems and be better off doing a fresh install instead. Games have been renamed, new configuration programs added, new features like HyperPause, new modules for emulators, GIT now used to update HyperSpin, the list goes on and on.

When you go to drop the games in make sure they match the older database files found in those torrents as well, or you will have so much "fun" renaming many of them.
well i done it before. i think each location of emulator had to be re-inserted, like 5min work. otherwise you had like 70 emulators /w video of each game available :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: thanks, my youtube recommendations will be nothing but family guy clips for the next month