Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. I just found this listing.

US $39.95 23% Off | New 1800mAh Built-in Lithium Battery with Type C Charging Port Battery Cover for GBA with IPS V3 Pre Laminated Screen LCD Kits
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoPymK

Since I have an extra motherboard, I may get this kit and sell my current GBA.
I was looking at their 'kits' too. Did you (or anyone else) order from them? How was the experience and the product? Specifically the battery/charging board?

I've got a spare GBA that I'd like to mod. My first one turned out well; using one of the older v2 IPS panels, but was let down by the Retro6 usb battery/board that I went with.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven’t used this kit. I did buy an 180mah battery kit, from ZCMY game store. It works great. Also, battery looks the same as the kit that I linked. Battery fitment was a bit tight and I had to do some trimming in the battery bay.
Cool. Does it charge properly and hold the charge for more than an hour?
The main issue I had with the Retro6 'clean juice' battery kit was that it would only hold charge for a couple of minutes... that issue escalated to it never having enough juice to ever boot the console with anything other than a red led, then shutting down shortly after getting past the GBA boot splash.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. I’m pretty sure you had a bad battery.

Mine holds charge for hours. Maybe 3 or 4, I haven’t really checked. It takes a long time for the GBA power light to change from green to red and I didn’t want to end up with a corrupted save or whatever might happen when the battery dies. So, I charged it.

For reference, I usually play at brightness level 3 or 4, on my ipsV2 screen. It’s got 10 brightness levels.

Raikusu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the battery kit necessery for these prelaminated screens or can I sill run of AAs?
It can run off of normal AAs fine. But keep in mind the battery life might be much worse than with the original non backlit display because it has to draw extra power for the backlight.
Post automatically merged:

Ok so I just figured out something that should've been obvious. Turns out you can just get an iPhone glass screen protector that has wide enough dimensions to fully expose the GBA glass display. Then you take a marker to carefully mark where it overlays on top of the GBA screen. Then use a strong pair of scissors to carefully trim along the line. You can now fit it on top of the GBA screen.

It's better to be safe than sorry because replacing the GBA screen with the laminated all in one screen kit took more work than I realized. Also not to mention the cost of replacing it if it gets scratched. I've already dropped my GBA 3 or 4 times since I did this mod two months ago despite me being careful but thankfully no major scratches have happened.

Just wanted to share this discovery because it's honestly just a matter of time before you end of scratching your GBA to the point it's hard to play with.

Reactions: Essometer

heitian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
compared to IPS panel, oled panel has better color,
Compared to non-laminated screen, fully laminated screen has less parallax issues.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The CleanScreen by Retrosix is actually the BEST creme-de-la-creme screens money can buy, and were developed in-house by Retrosix themselves. The CleanScreen is available for the original GBA and the GBA SP, among other systems like the Atari Lynx and the Sega GameGear. They offer superior color accuracy compared to the other IPS and ITA options on the market, and require NO shell trimming. They'll fit stock OEM shells just fine. I plan on buying one for my SP once I can afford the Aluminum folding SP shell by Boxy Pixel.

Last edited by Jayro,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The CleanScreen by Retrosix is actually the BEST creme-de-la-creme screens money can buy, and were developed in-house by Retrisix themselves. The CleanScreen is available for the original GBA and the GBA SP, among other systems like the Atari Lynx and the Sega GameGear. They offer superior color accuracy compared to the other IPS and ITA options on the market, and require NO shell trimming. They'll fit stock OEM shells just fine. I plan on buying one for my SP once I can afford the Aluminum folding SP shell by Boxy Pixel.
Given that glowing recommendation, I can only presume Retro6 have significantly upped their game, as everything I've had from them has been trash - particularly their "cleanjuice" GBA rechargeable battery mod.

See this install and review from Makho (and also check the comments)... it's quite lengthy, as is the Makho way...

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Given that glowing recommendation, I can only presume Retro6 have significantly upped their game, as everything I've had from them has been trash - particularly their "cleanjuice" GBA rechargeable battery mod.

See this install and review from Makho (and also check the comments)... it's quite lengthy, as is the Makho way...

Yeah, their stuff is usually good, but the gba cleanjuice really burned me as well. (financially, not physically)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree that's a pain, and is a very slow process. But if you watch The Magicians, you'll find out the spell to do it. 😊
It's not difficult to go to (or call) your bank and have them do a chargeback. Still takes 3 to 5 business days to see your money return, but it beats fighting AliExpress customer service.

Reactions: OrGoN3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg