PS1/2 Best IDE Hard Drive for PS2

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What might be the best IDE Hard Drive for a PS2 so I can basically avoid overpaying for a Hard Drive that has way to much space, and get a Hard Drive with the best performance for PS2 Titles.
I'm thinking about getting a used 60gb IDE Hard Drive but I don't know what brand would be best to run PS2 Backups.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The original disk according to the photo on Wikipedia was a Seagate 5400rpm UDMA5 (100 megabit/s)

The optical drive is 4X, so up to 44 megabit/s, and most hard drives of this millennium are at least 66 Mbps, so it most likely doesn't matter at all

Aim for a 7200 rpm to reduce seek times if you really want

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had 3 different maxtor hard drives. They all work great.

Not sure if you've already seen the chart, but http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list. I think the only thing you'd gain by using a sata drive is, storage space. If you gain any speed, you won't notice it due to the amount of games you'll have installed.

60 gb is too small. I have 250gb IDE running on FHDB-OPL and even this seems small.
I will just get a 60gb IDE HD (or HDD? Idek but in general a Hard drive.) And go from there.
As far as issues for example if I encounter, like overheating, I don't know if any of that will happen or what to expect. If I do encounter anything I will just go ahead and report back here :P.

Thanks (again :grog:.)

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Never had issues with heat(and I live in a tropical country).
You could try that 60gb hdd if you want.
You could probably fit at most 10 to 20 games in it.
I'd install FHDB too and set a per game virtual MMC so that you won't ever need a memory card.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah get a Sata network adapter. Bought mine like 10 - 15 euro's on ebay and that way you don't have to overpay for an IDE drive wich can always give up in the near future since they've been used for so long.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the one I’ve been using for ever.

Attachments

• D07FCCBF-1602-47FB-BF74-34C3FCF88927.jpeg
    D07FCCBF-1602-47FB-BF74-34C3FCF88927.jpeg
    947.5 KB · Views: 1,070

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I will just get a 60gb IDE HDD
maybe i am 2 weeks later, but i still must give my 2 cents
60GB seems really low.. ps2 games are DVD which can take up to 4.7GB... or something...
i would get a 400 gb HDD or something like that unless they are crazily expensive.. if that's the case the sata mod mentioned above seems pretty great, i thought it would use an entire aftermarket lan adapter but only the board that connects to the hdd is swapped

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe i am 2 weeks later, but i still must give my 2 cents
60GB seems really low.. ps2 games are DVD which can take up to 4.7GB... or something...
i would get a 400 gb HDD or something like that unless they are crazily expensive.. if that's the case the sata mod mentioned above seems pretty great, i thought it would use an entire aftermarket lan adapter but only the board that connects to the hdd is swapped
Thanks, atm though I still plan on getting a 60gb drive for the time being.

If I eventually find out its not enough space I could probably take action from there and just buy a bigger drive.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went ahead and bought a Maxtor 120GB IDE 3.5 Drive because I found a better deal then the 60gb drive I was buying orignally, and ran just one game so far (MGS2) And it performs great. I haven't tested out all the games I plan on playing yet but so far it works fine.

It was super easy to get everything installed and ready to using a SATA/IDE USB 3.0/2.0 to SATA/IDE Cable I found on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIE996S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(and the cheapest deal I found on amazon.)

I probably said this before but the reason I choose an IDE Drive over SATA is because I want everything fully compatible with the drive, and not run into problems between the network adaptor or how the games run on the SATA Drive VS the IDE. Kind of dumb but I just don't want to deal with having to buy a pre-hardmodded SATA PS2 Network adaptor or hardmod it myself (or buy more and more items if X thing happens or if X item breaks and stuff like that.) But I may look into it later if I find out my drive may be on its final legs soon.

Cheers :P.

Last edited by petethepug,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1